Used 2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
The Lemon of the Year
By Tess

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new 2004 Mazda 3 in 2004. From day one the brakes squeal when reversing (5 new sets have been renewed with no end in site - apparent reason, wet); transmission went at 48,000; Radiator chip dysfunctional and caused engine to overhead (1st time mis-diagnosed) second time (chip replaced). Have been towed 3 times before car reached 50,000 miles. While at servicing (same dealership bought at), car has received 2 door bang marks, engine was not cleaned of antifreeze from overheating, and recently black marks all over headliner when car was receiving new radiator chip.

Favorite Features

Look and handling of car.

Suggested Improvements

Well, I have lots of suggestions but mine is a lemon and nothing I would add would be acceptable.

After 5 years of ownership-Great Car!
By Diane

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. Love making u turns, awesome handling, braking, steering. Keep good Michelin tires and have them rotated every 3,000 miles or you'll wear tires. So far my Michelin and rotations are keeping it in check. Have 68,000 miles on car.

Favorite Features

Love the night time dash display. Great pick up and handling. Huge glove box. Love all the cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Need more leg room for back seat area. Needs outside temp display. Needs longer/bigger seats for my fat butt. Car goes out of alignment more than anything else I've owned. MP3 player.

Best car ever!
By veester

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new 8 years ago and I can honestly say it has been the best car I've ever owned! Thus far the only things we've had to change on it have been the brakes and of course the tires. Anyway, great first time car for anyone! I will be trading up soon for a small SUV.

Favorite Features

The Car itself is very reliable and has offered very good MPG.

Suggested Improvements

There are three things that i struggle with, of which two are cosmetic. For the last 4 years the AC has broke down every summer (Texas heat - not cool!), the inside siding of the front doors were apparently glued on originally (vs. sown on) because they began peeling off 5 years ago, and the seats are no longer comfy. Other than that the Mazda 3 has been great car!

Best Car I've ever owned
By r85david

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Mazda 3 2.3 Automatic since 2006 at 14,000 miles. It actually has a rebuilt title so it was cheap. I now have 162,000 miles on it!!! original engine, transmission, ETC. Only have done regular maintenance mostly myself. changed oil to synthetic when purchased, change every 5,000 miles. Still running like a Champ! I will drive this car until the wheels literally fall off!! This is also the base model, roll down windows, no cruise control, manual seats ETC, may have something to do with not having any electrical issues at all.

Favorite Features

reliability, acceleration, comfort.

Great car until the warranty runs out
By Barry Rodriguez

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 3 since Dcember of 2003. In 11 years i've put 70,000 miles on it. I've maintained meticulous records of all the service visits and have used only genuine mazda replacement parts. This past year my car has begun to ask for parts. First the tranny started to lock up in 3rd. replaced the speed sensor and ECU. worked fine until last month, now they say i have to replace the tranny all together. She also started to leak gas when filled. Mazda claims it's the pump. research on the net recomend replacement of just the pump cap the are prone to crack. BIG difference i price. Dealer also claims my power stearing hoses are bad and my oul filter is bad. my car has never leaked a drrop .

Favorite Features

Great car, GreAT Looks, sturdy and reliable

Suggested Improvements

Car is so good, healers havee to make up faults in order to make any money on replacement parts. your better off finding an honest mechanic or finding solutions on the web and doing the work yourself