2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

s 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (246 reviews )
A Great Value that Does everything well
By caholla on 03/12/05 22:43 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded my Miata in for a 3s hatchback. It does everything well, and nothing poorly. I've had no issues with it in almost a year. It's fun to drive, roomy, comfortable, stylish. The features you get for the price are unexpected...I love the gauges, it has a decent stereo, lots of character and is well assembled.

Slick tires on water/snow
By abc on 02/21/05 16:05 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I have owned our manual Mazda3 for only a few months, and it is a joy to drive in ideal conditions. Pure driving enjoyment! If it is wet or snowy, however, we fear for our lives. The car spins to start at a light, slides a lot at a stop, and often fishtails in the snow. The factory installed Eagles are like skis and after 2 near-misses and one collision due to snow, we are getting the tires/rims replaced before we get hurt or hurt someone else.

Mazda 3 2004 hatch back - tire issues
By Leo on 12/28/04 12:45 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for about 2 months, and still find it fun to drive. One Major disappointment is the handling on snowy roads. The 17" goodyear all-season tires are totally inadequate. The car fishtails on packed snow.

my Strato Blue baby
By K.Love on 12/26/04 13:15 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I brought my car home 12.14.2004. So far, I'm quite happy with my purchase. It has been 4 years since I've owned a vehicle and I promised myself that my first *New* car would be exactly what I wanted. I paid (in cash) $19k (after $500 college rebate- beware its taxable) $20,273 with TTL- for the following: Automatic, Strato Blue, Moonroof 6 CD with ABS/SAC/SAB pkg. My car also has the digital compass attached to the rear-view mirror (its extremely helpful) The driver's seat is quite comfortable. For a 4 cylinder engine- it has quite the pick- up! The gear shift is a little strange in its zig-zag design- but after a while you get used to it. Lots of space in hatch/trunk!

Have to test drive
By nich617 on 12/22/04 11:42 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I bought mine 6 months ago and I am so glad I went with it. I never liked hatchbacks and then I saw this car. I have had no problems with it like other people say. If you are used to driving a car this size in the snow you should have no problem. It is fun to drive and is roomy and comfortable. I love it.

My Experience with a 2004 Mazda 3 S
By Larry on 12/15/04 19:12 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Mazda 3 brand new April 10, 2004 .I previously owned a 2001 Mazda Protege ES and I have never had a problem with any Mazda ive ever owned (atleast the Japanese made ones not the ones made by AutoAlliance) the car gets great fuel mileage I noticed driving from South Carolina to Louisiana I averaged 30 MPH on my car and the ride is smooth and comfortable nice stereo system Mazda really took the old basic Protege and did alot of changes to get the 4 door 3 and the 5 door 3 S

Good but not great
By John G on 12/12/04 08:23 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I really liked this car at first. It has the larger engine and is fun to drive. It has developed a small air leak noise on the right side. Sometimes it feels like the tires are pulling right or left at 25 mph. After only 10000 miles the front tires are worn badly and almost need to be replaced. It's not easy to find tires for the 17" wheels, and when you do they're very expensive! The console makes the driver's leg room cramped. Be very careful when you park facin a crub because the front is very low and is easily damaged. I would not buy another one until I know these and other problems have been corrected

Got Problems?
By doesn'tmatterdoesit? on 12/09/04 21:42 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for close to a year now. Yesterday was my 5th or 6th check engine light. If it is anything like the others it will be a problem with the evap system. The gas mileage isn't as good as I had expected. I am averaging 23mpg and on a good tank 25mpg. These issues have been disappointing. That being said, I really like this car. It is fun to drive. In the first few months I would volunteer to go to the store for my wife. We have even had races to get into the driver's seat first. The red sparkles at the right angle. It has muscular contours, very attractive. I have looked at "luxury" cars and don't feel like I am missing anything, especially my money. This car wants to be driven.

Fun to drive
By Kevon on 11/29/04 19:13 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 3 months now and I still have a grin on my face everytime I drive it. I have a MZ3, cloth, TPMS, manual with navigation, and xenons. I recieved from my new car from parents and them being previous mazda owners (91' Mazda 626) of ten years and 400,000 miles I know it will last. The only downside is the power which it lacks, so get a manual it makes the drive more enjoyable. Performance parts are becoming steadly available so that can be fixed with a little tunning me being a teenager in all. The flip up navigation is nice also, not just for looks. To sum this up, this car is for the consumer that whats a budget vehicle with great looks and "moderate" power.

It's a Canadian Lemon
By RT27 on 11/17/04 13:13 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

By far the worst example of customer service I'e ever experienced. Car is 9 months old, had a hesitation problem from day 1. Been in the shop 6 times for 23 days, couldn't fix the problem then Mazda said it was normal. I requested a replacement and they refused. Went through arbitration, an independent test was ordered and confirmed my complaint that it doesn't run properly. Mazda Canada was ordered to buy back the car. I wanted to purchase another but Mazda Canada is refusing to lease me another because "they're all like that and I wouldn't be happy with another" Bull, I've driven 6 others and they were fine. Mazda won't refund the $450.00 extended warranty!