2004 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Great, inexpensive hatchback option
By Benright on 08/17/06 10:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Had it for 2 months now after having a BMW 328 for 3 years. I love the hatchback area and rubber mats. It drives fine although not the power of the 328. Very comfortable and a great low cost alternative for an econo-sport car. If you are expecting 28mpg, forget it. in city driving I get 23mpg, on highway at 80mph, I get about 20mpg. They need to fix this.

04 Mazda 3s wagon
By Stavro on 08/14/06 11:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Test drove the new Civic but even though you get a better gas mileage, you have to run the VTEC motor 5-6K RPM to get the power out of it. I am impressed with the amount of space and the reliability (have a BMW X5 4.4 SUV with 11 pages full of service records). The side trim on the door is plastic, and it seems that the air conditioner could use a little "boost" (It seems that recycled air blows just a tad stronger than outside air). It is quiet, the sound is adequate, 6 CD upfront is nice to have, the gearbox is sweet, AUTO/Manual gets the best of both worlds, a 5th gear would have been nice. Performance is good; remember, it's not a race car...turns tight and the fuel economy - I am getting 23 mpg city.

Absolute BEST value under $20,000
By tjmazdaman on 07/18/06 17:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is undoubtedly the best car I have ever owned. Performance is excellent, the shift it yourself auto is way cool, easy to use, and fun! Purists should stick to the 5-speed though, which is one of the best I've ever tested. This car looks sooo cool, and gets noticed. Build quality - incredible. Feels like it should have cost at least $25K. Razor-sharp handling, terrific road feel, dead-on straight line steering center, excellent brakes. Interior ergonomics are outstanding. Beats Honda, Toyota (snooze) and Nissan hands-down; styling, performance, versatility, standard features, ergonomics, driving satisfaction (FUN!) value, AND warranty. You've read - now go buy and ENJOY!

great Mazda 3!
By M3 hatchback on 07/01/06 10:41 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda 3 has been my favorite car I have ever owned. It is sporty, practical, and great fun to drive. I have had many luxury sedans, and two other small midsize cars. I like my Mazda 3 best. I have the hatchback body style.

Not as girlie girl as I'd like.....
By zoomzoomhappy on 06/07/06 15:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Mazda3. The only thing(s) I don't like is the visors are really "cheap." They have no light either for night time touch-ups. We chose the leather interior because it is SO much more comfortable than their cloth option. I have to say that the only problem I've had is recently I couldn't open my driver's side door. My husband was able to fix it easily without having to bring it in, but other than that it's the best buy/best car I've ever owned. The only reason I need to upgrade is we are going to have another kid. Back seat is not big enough for 2 car seats. We are so happy with Mazda that we might go with the new CX-7. I always get Q's, and highly recommend!

Some Car Award Givers missed it entirely
By Mazda3s wins on 05/19/06 08:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Before buying this vehicle, researched cars for 4 months. There weren't any true sports sedans I could afford. This is one. In two years, the car has been on numerous long trips with some around town driving. Performance is extraordinary and comfort way above average for this price class. My only complaint is some road noise; however this was cured with Ziebart sound deadener and some more carpet in the trunk. After two years of "test drive", it wins on all accounts. It looks like Mazda has fixed some of my suggestions for '06.

Zoom Zoom #1
By mugwamp on 05/09/06 18:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most fun I have had in a car in years. It is compact but still has head and shoulder room for my husband and myself, and we are not small people. With gas prices going up, it is terrific. My son did not want to learn how to drive a manual until he drove mine a few times. Now that is what he wants for his own car.

The Best "Mazda"
By nikkidunford on 04/20/06 09:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have fallen in love with Mazda, the only thing is that oil changes are the not the cheapest but still not the most expensive. Non-dealerships don't usually stock parts for these cars. But well built great new design. Awesome car.

2004 30,000 mile review
By longtermtester on 04/15/06 07:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After owning this car for almost 2 years I have noticed a few things.. First of all when I got the car I assumed that over time the steering and suspension would lose some it's tightness and precision. This has not happened. The car handles like it did the day I purchased it. I'm still not sure how I paid $20G Canadian and got this level of handling. My own fear stops me in a fast turn. Not the car. Very smooth. Secondly, when I bought it I was worried about the reliability and craftsmanship of Mazda vehicles. So far, only the regular maintenance has been performed. So to wrap this up; 2 years, fun to drive, no problems. Great car!

Well it's been 16 months & 7000 miles
By john brown on 03/27/06 11:20 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Well it's been 16 months and 7000 miles since I bought my Mazda 3s and the car is just as firm and tight as the day I drove it home for the first time, no rattles and vibrations (which I hate in a car). The steering and handling is just as superb, the brakes are just as good, the 5 speed manual (would never think of buying this car in automatic) is just as precise and sweet. I have even come to love the Goodyear RSA Eagles that everyone hate so much; excellent feedback to the driver from these tires, excellent cornering and braking, just go light at the start of a rain or they will spin. This is one awesome car that Mazda should be proud of making. Excellent driving machine.