Used 2004 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Mazda3 s sedan, auto
By Loramay

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my 2004 Mazda3 s last week, but I've already driven it over 1000 miles on a trip. My first impression of the car was great, it's sleek and drives well. The only issues I've had with it are that the driver seat seems to be made for tall people with long arms. When I push the seat back so that your foot is a good distance from the pedals, I have to hold my arms out straight to hold the wheel. I also bought this car not realizing that the 2.3 L engine didn't get very good gas mileage. I was hoping to improve over my V6 mustang, but the mpg is only slightly better. But I like the way it drives, and I think it will be a great car for me.

Favorite Features

Acceleration seems much faster than the 2.0 L engine.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better positioning of the drivers seat in relation to the wheel and pedals, has poor gas mileage for a 4 cyl.

2004 Mazda 2.3s sedan
By Krzysztof K

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought her from private in March 2007 at 36,000 miles. Now - August 2008 she has 53,000 miles. Average 24.31 MPG - 60% city/ 40% highway (I have heavy foot). 32 MPG highway at A/C and 70-85 MPH speed. 250 miles at the city per full tank. One of the best purchases what I did. Fun to drive, good acceleration, excellent handle, short turning circle, very good brakes, finish internal very well and nice outline too - that's what I like. ** CEL appeared after I filled premium fuel, so I use regular. 100% satisfied and highly recommended.

Favorite Features

manual, navigation, HID, 6-CD changer, sunroof, leather seats, CAI, rear wing.

Suggested Improvements

After installed CAI I improve acceleration and MPG a little bit.

Rally fun and sport comfort
By SLO Road Czar, Ret.

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Mazda 3s to drive to work, then retired early. Yes, I'm that old. It's been a great car, fun to drive and fairly grippy at speed on winding roads. We drive between Montana and California living in two rural communities. Fun driving at both ends. Not bad on long trips and adds FUN to the drive. Good mileage (between 25 and 30) and no repairs to date (about 30000 miles). I've owned a 325 BMW, TR-6, and still own and drive a 91 Corvette and this little 3 fits in nicely with the fun to drive group.

Favorite Features

Seems faster than reviewed. Handles very well and is a blast to drive fast. Good front seats. Like the manual auto and power steering. 70 MPH limits on Montana 2 lanes make this and economical and refreshing country road driver.

Suggested Improvements

Already taken care of... more horsepower. Now, put it in the sedan.

Mazda3 for me
By travisthomas

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In March I will have had this car for 4 years. To this date the only complaint I have is the cloth interior tends to fray with use. The carpet as well could be a little more durable. A driver's foot rest would be nice. Typically after 2 years I tend to get tired of a car. But after four years I am still in love with this car. Mazda has a winner with this car. In this time of high gas prices it is nice to find a car that looks great, fun to drive and gets great gas mileage. My 5 speed tends to get 38 to 40 mpg on the highway and 33 to 35 mpg in the city which is full of stops and goes.

Favorite Features

Volume controls on the steering wheel. Side blinker lights. Sporty styling

Suggested Improvements

Mure durable carpet and seat fabric

So much fun to drive
By jim foehner

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I never dreamed that a 4 cylinder car could combine great gas mileage and power. In town handling is superb and it's so easy to maneuver through city traffic. Since I live in a small town, most of my driving is on the highways and back roads which is so much fun. Before you know it, I'm hitting 80 mph. You don't feel the speed like most other small cars. I've taken 1500 mile trips out to New Mexico and the comfort level is outstanding. It just glides along the road and I don't get the least bit tired or stiff between fuel stops. Oh, I've owned 47 autos and the Mazda3 is in the top 3 of my favorite cars. The other two were a 1956 Chevy and 1965 Mustang - cars of my youth.

Favorite Features

1. Comfort on long trips and road handling 2. Gas mileage: 25 town and 31 highway 3. Very dependable 4. Maintenance free after 31000 miles 5. Interior and exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Since I live in the hot Southwest I'd like to see lighter interior colors offered. Black just soaks up too much heat in the summer.