2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
This car amazes me!
By Gina on 01/23/06 09:19 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Having owned Mazda's for years, I would not have dreamed of buying anything else. Had a 626 for 16 years and just purchased a 2004 one owner 3s in Strato Blue. I love this car! It is much more fun to drive than anything I've owned previously. It hugs corners and glides over bumps and for a 4 cylinder 2.3 engine it really has some power. The seats are beyond comfortable and with the sports and power package it turns heads everywhere I go. Although I have not yet needed an oil change (only had the car 3 weeks now), I am concerned with the thread I just read about poor design in the cartridge oil filter. Waiting to see if anyone else has similar problems with that.

Beware of Plastic Parts and Oil Filters!
By George Bennett on 01/11/06 11:30 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After driving a Protege for 10 years and 250,000 miles, the 3 S seemed like a great car until I used a Jiffy Lube and cracked the poorly designed oil cartridge housing on the car. Mazda says tough luck, but has issued a service bulletin, and I believe reverted back to the cannister versus the cartridge oil filter. It is sad to say that such a nice car can be ruined by poor design - but in my case (and from what I hear) the case of several other Mazda 3 s owners, that you will have to pay $60.00 at the dealership to make sure that your engine does not suffer major damages. I believe the 2005 model also has this type of filter so be prepared!

a different car
By Gary on 01/07/06 09:12 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with the car. The styling has been copied now and will be used partially in the design of the EVO 10. It is so much different than having a boring Ford.

Really Diggin it! My 3 Rocks!
By Mazda3Driver on 11/09/05 17:19 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, 1st, bad stuff ... power steering is noisy, tires appear to wear quickly, doesn't get the gas mileage claimed, (28.5 hwy on recent trip), the a/c doesn't get super cold (tint the glass, fixed!), the seat material gives off tangles as it wears. But as far as everything else, I love it! I had a Pathfinder that got 14mpg, even at 28mpg is saving me tons of cash. It's peppy, handles great, looks good, quiet enough interior and with a new stereo, it's got good tunes too. The first owner had upgraded a few things, like 16" wheels and spoiler. The seat belt noise will drive you crazy though. Overall, I love it. May put a sunroof in, maybe aftermarket speed parts. All in all, it's great!

AXELA
By Paul on 10/17/05 17:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because it took my breath away. Overall style, class, ride and just looks. I have driven and looked at many other cars, they didn't come close. I looked at this car once, wanted it without driving it. Then I drove it. So I bought it. Since then, it has been lowered, I added exhaust, changed the badging to "Axela," the Japanese version. This car is 2 years old, and I still get looks. I love driving my car, and all my friends love it too. I went from a beat up Honda del Sol, to this. This car is truly best-in-class. I don't care what anyone says. Toyota's and Honda's last forever, but I don't see a Civic or Corolla that looks or drives like this.

AXELA
By Paul on 10/11/05 17:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 3S just over a month. I love it. It is the best sub-compact car I have looked at, priced, and driven. It handles like a BMW 3- series minus the rear drive. I see them all around town, but it never fails, people still stare at my car. It is very sexy, and great to drive.

18 months and still LOVE IT!
By JaloLA on 09/08/05 02:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my car for 18 months and keep telling my friends that zoom-zoom still gets me. It is a fun-to-drive car. Handles very well, smooth and just great buy overall! I was soooo glad I didn't get boring looking Toyota or Honda for the money I had to spend on a car. GREAT value for your money!

Great Car
By Justin on 08/09/05 09:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year now (24k miles) and have not had a single problem. The car handles great, has very good power (for the class), is very comfortable, and looks great! I have made a lot of long (8+ hour) trips in this car and it stayed very comfy all the way through. The car feels so tight and well built, very few squeaks and rattles. There are a few things I would change, but they are minor. I can't wait for the Mazdaspeed!

What a lemon!!!
By Joseph Roy on 07/23/05 09:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Aside from the excellent engine and nice features, the problems I have had outweigh the positives by a lot. In the winter when it was really cold, the heater only marginally works, now in the summer I find that the A/C is only mediocre as well. After bringing it to the dealership multiple times, they insist that it is fine and within the normal range. And after only 10,000 miles they had to replace the transmission. I had it in for two oil changes previous to this and they never realized that transmission fluid was low. When they took the transmission out the fluid was almost gone and it was burnt. Thank god for warranties.

Still happy after 1 year
By DrShmerl on 07/20/05 16:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my black 3s sedan after seeing one on the road,loving its looks compared to everything else in the price range. Decided on the stick for fun & added power, upgraded virtually everything I could. Car has proven to be a blast! Look forward to driving it whenever I can. Quick, confident handling & braking, quiet, comfortable, tons of room for its small size, stereo's great, stick is fast & easy. I would get the automatic next time 'cuz of the traffic I'm often in. Overall, can't recommend this car highly enough. Fit and finish were flawless.