Used 2004 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

After 5 years of ownership-Great Car!
By Diane

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. Love making u turns, awesome handling, braking, steering. Keep good Michelin tires and have them rotated every 3,000 miles or you'll wear tires. So far my Michelin and rotations are keeping it in check. Have 68,000 miles on car.

Favorite Features

Love the night time dash display. Great pick up and handling. Huge glove box. Love all the cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Need more leg room for back seat area. Needs outside temp display. Needs longer/bigger seats for my fat butt. Car goes out of alignment more than anything else I've owned. MP3 player.

100k and going strong
By jeremily

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A quick update, I've posted before. Now over 100k miles in under 6 years, my Mazda3 is still going strong, with no major issues. I am still on the stock, original clutch- though it's pretty worn right now. Timing belt is due- which requires pulling the engine. :( With just oil changes and lots of miles, I wouldn't complain about a few more hp to match the superb suspension. Lifetime best tank of 38mpg, typical 30mpg highway biased driving, but not especially gentle. I absolutely love the great visibility from HIDs, and very comfortable seats for long drives. Cupholders and right elbow support could be improved for better ergos, but overall excellent. No regrets about this purchase.

Favorite Features

Suspension; headlights (HID); firm, comfortable seats don't give numb-butt after 12 hour drives.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, right elbow support could be reconfigured slightly for better long-drive comfort. Stereo, while nifty integrated console, precludes easy upgrade to standard DIN module. OEM replacement console insert with DIN would be a good option, clock and temp display driver for console display.

Awe-some
By Awe-some

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for budget-minded car enthusiasts. Fun to drive, good performance for the price. It's not a Bimmer or an Audi but it's also not in the same price range. Overall, it's a very good balance between price, performance, comfort and reliability, still convinced after more than 85K miles driving up and down both coasts. I would recommend the 2.3L as it's more zippy even with higher fuel consumption and the manual as it will allow better management of fuel economy for every day commute. If you take good care of it: don't park it outside, all scheduled maintenance, put good rubber on it, it will love you back 1000-fold.

Suggested Improvements

AC on 2004 models is weak, better in subsequent yrs. #1 setting useless. Wish manual had 6th gear for highway cruising: rpm is 3000 at 65mph. Wish fog lights could turn on as daytime running lights. OEM Goodyears are worthless. Michelin Pilot Exalto summer are must have. Perfect complement to car

Highly recommended
By Slim goody

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A fun car to drive with the optional 2.3 liter engine. I prefer manual transmission, but the automatic was good because of the manual shift feature. Fit and finish were very good. Good room (we had the hatchback), handing and steering tight and nimble. Only problem was with one window that quit working, but our local dealer fixed under warrantee with no issues. Local dealer experience very good. They offered free tires and battery for the life of the car if regular scheduled maintenance done. Good fuel economy, we actually got better than what's posted on the window sticker. A good car for the money, don't even bother with any comparable American-made compacts.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, nimble handling, a good stereo system. Strong windshield Glass, resists flying Stone cracks better than other cars.

Suggested Improvements

Offer more manual cars, go with less power assist in the steering. Maybe offer a two door version to compete with Honda and scion coupes.

Still brand new after 5 yrs
By Joeschmoh

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I bought it new 5 years ago and I still get a thrill driving it. The car hugs the road, has lots of power, and is a super easy stick shift to drive. My wife hated sticks until this car. It gets me to work without costing too much, it gets the entire family around comfortably, and I can load it up with junk from Home Depot. The versatility combined with a car that's a joy to drive makes it a no-brainer car to buy. I average 27 mpg in traffic, and 30-31 mpg highway.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, great suspension, forgiving stick shift, great interior, head turning looks, versatile interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers and an AUX jack. I wish the tires were cheaper.