2004 Mazda Mazda3 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews 3

2004 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

s Sedan (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Some Car Award Givers missed it entirely
By Mazda3s wins on 05/19/06 08:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Before buying this vehicle, researched cars for 4 months. There weren't any true sports sedans I could afford. This is one. In two years, the car has been on numerous long trips with some around town driving. Performance is extraordinary and comfort way above average for this price class. My only complaint is some road noise; however this was cured with Ziebart sound deadener and some more carpet in the trunk. After two years of "test drive", it wins on all accounts. It looks like Mazda has fixed some of my suggestions for '06.

Well it's been 16 months & 7000 miles
By john brown on 03/27/06 11:20 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Well it's been 16 months and 7000 miles since I bought my Mazda 3s and the car is just as firm and tight as the day I drove it home for the first time, no rattles and vibrations (which I hate in a car). The steering and handling is just as superb, the brakes are just as good, the 5 speed manual (would never think of buying this car in automatic) is just as precise and sweet. I have even come to love the Goodyear RSA Eagles that everyone hate so much; excellent feedback to the driver from these tires, excellent cornering and braking, just go light at the start of a rain or they will spin. This is one awesome car that Mazda should be proud of making. Excellent driving machine.

BUY THIS CAR!
By Uptown on 03/05/06 22:25 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was in search of a car to replace my trusty Volvo for the past year. Hands down, this Mazda3 S 5-speed blows away the competition. I waited for the 2006 Civic remodel (horrible dash design) until I made my purchase. I found a 2004 S model for $12,000 and plan in driving it for 5-6 years selling it for $5-6K. That's about as inexpensive cost of ownership you can find for driving such a refined car. This car is designed like a Swiss Army Knife ... it's really a great value and in most cases worth full sticker. Test drove a Corolla S, 06 Civic, used 325i, Jetta, WRX, and Accord. Go out and test drive one, and you'll buy it.

Classy Compact
By Antone on 02/27/06 18:11 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Runs great, excellent gas mileage, fun to drive, slight road noise, but nothing out of the ordinary for a compact car.

Awesome so far...
By dechy on 02/03/06 12:22 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Mazda3 for about a year and a half and have not had any problems as at all. The ride and handling are awesome. I test drove the Civic, Corolla, Ion and Focus and hands down, the Mazda 3 was an easy winner.

This car amazes me!
By Gina on 01/23/06 09:19 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Having owned Mazda's for years, I would not have dreamed of buying anything else. Had a 626 for 16 years and just purchased a 2004 one owner 3s in Strato Blue. I love this car! It is much more fun to drive than anything I've owned previously. It hugs corners and glides over bumps and for a 4 cylinder 2.3 engine it really has some power. The seats are beyond comfortable and with the sports and power package it turns heads everywhere I go. Although I have not yet needed an oil change (only had the car 3 weeks now), I am concerned with the thread I just read about poor design in the cartridge oil filter. Waiting to see if anyone else has similar problems with that.

Beware of Plastic Parts and Oil Filters!
By George Bennett on 01/11/06 11:30 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After driving a Protege for 10 years and 250,000 miles, the 3 S seemed like a great car until I used a Jiffy Lube and cracked the poorly designed oil cartridge housing on the car. Mazda says tough luck, but has issued a service bulletin, and I believe reverted back to the cannister versus the cartridge oil filter. It is sad to say that such a nice car can be ruined by poor design - but in my case (and from what I hear) the case of several other Mazda 3 s owners, that you will have to pay $60.00 at the dealership to make sure that your engine does not suffer major damages. I believe the 2005 model also has this type of filter so be prepared!

a different car
By Gary on 01/07/06 09:12 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with the car. The styling has been copied now and will be used partially in the design of the EVO 10. It is so much different than having a boring Ford.

AXELA
By Paul on 10/17/05 17:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because it took my breath away. Overall style, class, ride and just looks. I have driven and looked at many other cars, they didn't come close. I looked at this car once, wanted it without driving it. Then I drove it. So I bought it. Since then, it has been lowered, I added exhaust, changed the badging to "Axela," the Japanese version. This car is 2 years old, and I still get looks. I love driving my car, and all my friends love it too. I went from a beat up Honda del Sol, to this. This car is truly best-in-class. I don't care what anyone says. Toyota's and Honda's last forever, but I don't see a Civic or Corolla that looks or drives like this.

AXELA
By Paul on 10/11/05 17:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 3S just over a month. I love it. It is the best sub-compact car I have looked at, priced, and driven. It handles like a BMW 3- series minus the rear drive. I see them all around town, but it never fails, people still stare at my car. It is very sexy, and great to drive.