2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

s 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (246 reviews )
Good value in a great to drive package
By ShawnP on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Hard to say enough good things about the 3. As a previous owner of a Protege5 I was really hoping they fixed a few of the things I found lacking in the previous car and Mazda came through in spades. Performance was improved, dramatically, the engine is not only more powerful but a lot smoother, something I didn't like about the outgoing Pro5. Handing is improved though I found the PRo5 to be competent as well (not a concern before) And more over interior noise is down and road comfort is improved dramatically. A fantastic car with great performance, features and poise for a car in it's price range, a definite great buy!

It all added up
By satisfied3owner on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I'd had in my mind a car with the following traits (after having had a fun German-made wagon before): smaller, Japanese built, leather, hatchback utility, four doors, in-dash 6-CD changer, and style. I walked into a Mazda showroom to look at another car, and my head was turned by the 3. I test-drove the car, and was sold. I've had it for a month, and like it more with each passing week. A slick little car, well-made and thoughtfully appointed.

In Sheep's Clothing
By NH Zoom Zoom on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just got the S five door, in black! Love it! Mazda was smart to make an affordable auto that includes some great performance elements. What a great mix of fun, sports, nimble driving, and practicality!!! This car is the most nimble car I test drove among the Matrix XRS, Civic, and Jetta GLS w/ sports susspension (yes it's true).

Mazda 3 Hatch Kicks BMW Butt
By California Car Boy on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After having an extremely high car payment and maintence bills with my 2000 BMW 32i I, I started shopping for a more reliable car with a lower price- point. I had owned a Mazda before and was at the dealership to look at an RX-8 when I saw this funky, cool Mazda3 5-Door on the lot. I was intrigued. I took it for a spin and was hooked. It has an engine that will move, looks that will turn heads and features that rival the BMW. And it cost about half of what I paid for the BMW four years ago. I walked out of there spending $24K including TTL and got a fantastic car with xenon, navigation, leather and more. Mazda 3 5-Door. A great car--a great value.

Mazda 3 - Nice Ride
By 3runner on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I compared features and drove every competing car including the Civic SI, Sentra SE Spec V, & Matrix. The 3 beat these going away. It's the total package of acceleration, handling, and good looks! There's many other little niceties that are also pluses for this car. There's not a better vehicle for <20K, I'm sure.

Ticket Getter
By Need 4 Speed on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purhased after reading reviews. Being a "motorhead", I had a pretty good idea what was out there, and without the bump to 160-horses, I probably wouldn't have considered the 3. Also drove left over Proteges, which has entirely different feel. Whereas the Protege is flingable, the 3 feels more substantial. Bought for less than $500 over dealer's invoice. The January issue of Car & Driver magazine provides a good review on this model. More comparable to the discontinued Prelude than the Civic or Matrix in it's class and pulls as hard a a 330 Bimmer 0-60.

Absolutly AWSOME!!!
By Bongomav on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought a fully loaded M3s. There isn,t a another car out there that can compete apples to apples. I,ve looked at them all! Quick, Stylish and affordable. My wife is affraid to drive period, NOT anymore! The ease of parking and handling the city roads awsome. Now I have to fight her for the keys. (Dam car! LOL)

Totally Impressed
By Mike Crowley on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The best shifting and well made compact car I've ever owned. If you are looking for a compact car don't waste your time looking at the Matrix or Honda SI. take this car for a test drive and if you don't like it your nuts.

Been Waiting For This...
By Kennyrod on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love with the M3 the moment I saw it. Picked it up yesterday and am having a wonderful time so far. It's got zip and style. I think the mileage could be a bit better, but it ain't that bad. I also think the music system could be better too.

The New Benchmark - M3s
By DuneII on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I compared the Mazda 3s to the Civic, Matrix, Vibe, and a used Saab. The price is very competitive. The options are not bad either. Handling is amazing. Interior is unique. As all the ads say, the M-3s sets a new standard. I'm so glad I waited and didn't buy the Civic or Matrix. Milage is 26 miles/gal. Features that luxury cars have as options are standard or available: Transmission with a semi- manual auto mode. Huge disc brakes with Brake Assist (a copy of the Mercedes's version). Side, head, front air bags with driver postion sensor. Integrated interior where everying comes together.