2004 Mazda 3 Consumer Review: 1st Time Mazda Owner

2004 Mazda 3 - Consumer Review

s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

1st Time Mazda Owner
By M. Mable on

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used and it had 15k miles on it. I've owned it now for about 3 weeks and have enjoyed diving it each and every day. My last car was a Volvo that was killing me with repair cost, so I'm hoping the Mazda treats me better. I've had a couple of small issues so far, the worst of which is tire noise. I know they're performance tires, but I certainly hope I don't have to replace them every 15k miles just to avoid the obnoxious sound I'm getting now. Other than that, the car handles great, has great acceleration and looks the bomb! I love the automatic transmission which is smooth and responsive - and I just click over to Tiptronic if I need to drop a gear and pass some grandpa.

Favorite Features

I love both the exterior and interior styling. For the price this car whomps everything else available. The engine is the best performing in its class with lots of power and torque. Steering/handling is responsive and nimble. The automatic transmission is great too.

Suggested Improvements

Tire wear and associated road noise are extremely high with only 15K miles. I'm a little concerned about long-term prospects, but I'll know better after I move on to my next (new) set of tires. Braking is ok, but my wife's Jetta puts the Mazda to shame for stopping power and brake feel. Needs work.