2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Best Car I've ever owned
By r85david on 09/26/13 08:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Mazda 3 2.3 Automatic since 2006 at 14,000 miles. It actually has a rebuilt title so it was cheap. I now have 162,000 miles on it!!! original engine, transmission, ETC. Only have done regular maintenance mostly myself. changed oil to synthetic when purchased, change every 5,000 miles. Still running like a Champ! I will drive this car until the wheels literally fall off!! This is also the base model, roll down windows, no cruise control, manual seats ETC, may have something to do with not having any electrical issues at all.

2.3L Engine Prone to Failure
By mazdaharp on 09/07/13 00:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since day one. It is 9-1/2 years old and 103,000 miles on it. I've done all scheduled maintenance at the dealer. I've had a problem for a few years where this car has been chewing through oil but no one could out where it was going (no leaks, no visible burning, no blown head gasket). I'm adding about a quart every 750 miles. Insane. I finally took it to another dealer with a better service department when the first failed to identify the problem. The piston rings have failed. The only solution... a new engine for $7,200. The more research I do, the more I see this is a common problem but Mazda is refusing to acknowledge it.

Love this car but beware
By djshame on 04/23/13 14:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since it had 6 miles on it. The only issues i had in the begining was a belt that broke and ignition coils. This car is very fun to drive. However be aware that after 100k the engine starts to burn oil. I wasn't aware of this and didn't feel the need to check my oil on the regular. Hence i now need a new motor. Just a word of advice check your oil levels regularly at least once a week when you go over 100k in miles. Enjoy zoomzoom. Hence i bought a 2013 MSP3. love my Mazda's....

Exelent
By b_o_b_6_9_ on 08/16/12 04:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i have owned the car since it was relesed and since its done about 140,000 miles and hasnt had any issues , only thing i had to replace was the tyres and brake pads other wise its all good

2004 Mazda 2.3 Sedan
By duderino66 on 01/12/12 10:46 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 mazda3 used in 2006 with about 30k miles. Water pump died at 60k, alternator fried at 80k. Transmission crumped at 120k (ouch!). Fun to drive, surprisingly smooth on the highway for a 4-cylinder, and a good looking car inside and out. I'd buy another one, but probably opt for a 5-speed next time.

Worst car I've ever owned
By fubo on 01/02/11 22:06 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A piece of junk. Rust began to show all over a couple of years. All of the door jams and quarter panels near the wheels are rusted. Two years ago I had to have all 4 rims replaced because they were corroded. Luckily they were replaced under warranty. I asked Mazda for help this time around since the rust began to show when it was still under warranty but they refused, even though the dealership and the regional mgr for Mazda were "shocked" when they saw the rust and agreed this should not happen to a 4-5 year old car. I've had a Ford and a Jeep, sold it after more than 10 years with no rust. Heat? Very weak. AC? At first I thought it broke down. Took it in, they said it's normal.

Somewhat Satisfied
By jacobsmommy17 on 12/22/10 20:25 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a fun car to drive there are just some annoying things. The seats aren't too comfortable, the brakes squeal even after being replaced, the transmission shifts hard into second. Recently when slowing down, as the car is downshifting, it misses 2nd gear. When the trunk is popped it doesn't raise itself, and I think there is something wrong with the spring. Also, I have a 6 month old, and it is hard to get him in and out of the car. The doors don't open wide enough either.

What a piece of ^%$^%$^&%!
By stissenko on 06/16/10 10:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2.3 AT version with currently 83K on it. TO begin is I should say it is the WORST car I have ever had (and I have owned quite a few). I have recently changed: all 4 shocks , bar links, rotors, caliper, leaking radiator, engine mount, heat shield, had to fix exhaust pipe! Unfortunately, it didn't solve all problems: I keep adjusting the breaks (obviously, I do not count new pads, since it is a maintenance), but the noise is still there. Right caliper is about to have to be changed (I am selling the car prior to that). I guess I am really tired of having the car at the shop ALL THE TIME, trying to understand what's wrong with it. If you want a car: DO NOT BUY!

After 5 years of ownership-Great Car!
By Diane on 03/16/10 18:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. Love making u turns, awesome handling, braking, steering. Keep good Michelin tires and have them rotated every 3,000 miles or you'll wear tires. So far my Michelin and rotations are keeping it in check. Have 68,000 miles on car.

Awe-some
By Awe-some on 01/18/10 20:21 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car for budget-minded car enthusiasts. Fun to drive, good performance for the price. It's not a Bimmer or an Audi but it's also not in the same price range. Overall, it's a very good balance between price, performance, comfort and reliability, still convinced after more than 85K miles driving up and down both coasts. I would recommend the 2.3L as it's more zippy even with higher fuel consumption and the manual as it will allow better management of fuel economy for every day commute. If you take good care of it: don't park it outside, all scheduled maintenance, put good rubber on it, it will love you back 1000-fold.