Used 2004 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Great car until the warranty runs out
By Barry Rodriguez

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 3 since Dcember of 2003. In 11 years i've put 70,000 miles on it. I've maintained meticulous records of all the service visits and have used only genuine mazda replacement parts. This past year my car has begun to ask for parts. First the tranny started to lock up in 3rd. replaced the speed sensor and ECU. worked fine until last month, now they say i have to replace the tranny all together. She also started to leak gas when filled. Mazda claims it's the pump. research on the net recomend replacement of just the pump cap the are prone to crack. BIG difference i price. Dealer also claims my power stearing hoses are bad and my oul filter is bad. my car has never leaked a drrop .

Great car, GreAT Looks, sturdy and reliable

Car is so good, healers havee to make up faults in order to make any money on replacement parts. your better off finding an honest mechanic or finding solutions on the web and doing the work yourself

Fun ride, but beware of problems.
By Brad Benton

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car 3.5 years ago at 47,000 miles and now have 95,000 and am looking for a new car. This was a fun car, but had issues throughout the 3 years of ownership. Check engine lights galore, door locks not unlocking with remote/interior unlock button (had to manually unlock each door, got annoying after 1.5 years of them not working and incompetent dealer service department not fixing), 4 headlights replaced, fuel pump broke pouring gas I just bought all over the ground, and most recently my drivers window will not work. Auto trans shifts rough into 2nd. Its a shame because the car is fun to drive on the highway/down country roads, the car is nice and tight, drives like its on rails.

2.3 liter engine is nice and peppy. Handling is impressive. Radio is pretty decent. Great looking car. Interior grabs everyone's attention.

Reliability needs to improved at Mazda. A.C. is horrendously weak in the summer. Seats hurt your back after a couple hours of driving. The car has an unreasonable amount of rust for an 11 year old car.

Best Car I've ever owned
By r85david

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Mazda 3 2.3 Automatic since 2006 at 14,000 miles. It actually has a rebuilt title so it was cheap. I now have 162,000 miles on it!!! original engine, transmission, ETC. Only have done regular maintenance mostly myself. changed oil to synthetic when purchased, change every 5,000 miles. Still running like a Champ! I will drive this car until the wheels literally fall off!! This is also the base model, roll down windows, no cruise control, manual seats ETC, may have something to do with not having any electrical issues at all.

reliability, acceleration, comfort.

2.3L Engine Prone to Failure
By mazdaharp

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since day one. It is 9-1/2 years old and 103,000 miles on it. I've done all scheduled maintenance at the dealer. I've had a problem for a few years where this car has been chewing through oil but no one could out where it was going (no leaks, no visible burning, no blown head gasket). I'm adding about a quart every 750 miles. Insane. I finally took it to another dealer with a better service department when the first failed to identify the problem. The piston rings have failed. The only solution... a new engine for $7,200. The more research I do, the more I see this is a common problem but Mazda is refusing to acknowledge it.

Other than the engine, I love everything about this car. Mazda got everything right with this car... except the engine. If you're one of the lucky ones that doesn't get a bad engine, then you've got the best car in it's class in my opinion.

My guess is Mazda has fixed the problem with this engine (or abandoned it all together at this point). However, I do think Mazda should acknowledge this problem and give their dealers and customers some sort of solution. Instead, dealers have to pretend (and they aren't doing it well) that this isn't a common problem. A short trip to any Mazda3 forum will show you otherwise though. Mazda's customer base is largely young and Mazda needs to understand that a problem like this could ruin their reputation with this base for the rest of their car-buying years.

Love this car but beware
By djshame

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since it had 6 miles on it. The only issues i had in the begining was a belt that broke and ignition coils. This car is very fun to drive. However be aware that after 100k the engine starts to burn oil. I wasn't aware of this and didn't feel the need to check my oil on the regular. Hence i now need a new motor. Just a word of advice check your oil levels regularly at least once a week when you go over 100k in miles. Enjoy zoomzoom. Hence i bought a 2013 MSP3. love my Mazda's....

All around very fun car to drive.

Over 100,000 miles check the oil level frequently.