2004 Mazda Mazda3 i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Fun ride, but beware of problems.
By Brad Benton on 02/18/15 20:47 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my car 3.5 years ago at 47,000 miles and now have 95,000 and am looking for a new car. This was a fun car, but had issues throughout the 3 years of ownership. Check engine lights galore, door locks not unlocking with remote/interior unlock button (had to manually unlock each door, got annoying after 1.5 years of them not working and incompetent dealer service department not fixing), 4 headlights replaced, fuel pump broke pouring gas I just bought all over the ground, and most recently my drivers window will not work. Auto trans shifts rough into 2nd. Its a shame because the car is fun to drive on the highway/down country roads, the car is nice and tight, drives like its on rails.

Best Car I've ever owned
By r85david on 09/26/13 08:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Mazda 3 2.3 Automatic since 2006 at 14,000 miles. It actually has a rebuilt title so it was cheap. I now have 162,000 miles on it!!! original engine, transmission, ETC. Only have done regular maintenance mostly myself. changed oil to synthetic when purchased, change every 5,000 miles. Still running like a Champ! I will drive this car until the wheels literally fall off!! This is also the base model, roll down windows, no cruise control, manual seats ETC, may have something to do with not having any electrical issues at all.

2.3L Engine Prone to Failure
By mazdaharp on 09/07/13 00:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since day one. It is 9-1/2 years old and 103,000 miles on it. I've done all scheduled maintenance at the dealer. I've had a problem for a few years where this car has been chewing through oil but no one could out where it was going (no leaks, no visible burning, no blown head gasket). I'm adding about a quart every 750 miles. Insane. I finally took it to another dealer with a better service department when the first failed to identify the problem. The piston rings have failed. The only solution... a new engine for $7,200. The more research I do, the more I see this is a common problem but Mazda is refusing to acknowledge it.

Love this car but beware
By djshame on 04/23/13 14:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since it had 6 miles on it. The only issues i had in the begining was a belt that broke and ignition coils. This car is very fun to drive. However be aware that after 100k the engine starts to burn oil. I wasn't aware of this and didn't feel the need to check my oil on the regular. Hence i now need a new motor. Just a word of advice check your oil levels regularly at least once a week when you go over 100k in miles. Enjoy zoomzoom. Hence i bought a 2013 MSP3. love my Mazda's....

Love my car but BEWARE
By sydneycmiller on 11/26/12 13:35 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car is the plain Jane type but it was still love at first sight. I bought it used and had trouble with the second day I had it. It's automatic and it would stall at every light or stop sign I hit. Mechanics suggested it was a faulty computer. Mazda told me unless I could prove it, it wouldn't be covered. Reset the computer and it seemed to be fine until I hit 133k kms. Then the transmisson blew. So now I'm stuck with a $2500 bill, AGAIN. I guess I got a lemon but most resellers don't even want to consider selling these transmissions anymore because they continue to come back on a regular basis. Also, the CD plyr is faulty and hates most CDS, old or new.

Best car ever!
By veester on 10/24/12 19:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new 8 years ago and I can honestly say it has been the best car I've ever owned! Thus far the only things we've had to change on it have been the brakes and of course the tires. Anyway, great first time car for anyone! I will be trading up soon for a small SUV.

Exelent
By b_o_b_6_9_ on 08/16/12 04:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i have owned the car since it was relesed and since its done about 140,000 miles and hasnt had any issues , only thing i had to replace was the tyres and brake pads other wise its all good

Worst car I've ever owned
By yagdoogie on 03/15/12 22:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced the transmission. Twice. Motor "clicks," my mechanic thought it was going to throw a rod. Six months later, still clicking. Front end needed to be rebuilt at 102k. Roughest running four-cylinder I've ever seen. Dealer said that's a characteristic of the motor. Hunh.

2004 Mazda 2.3 Sedan
By duderino66 on 01/12/12 10:46 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 mazda3 used in 2006 with about 30k miles. Water pump died at 60k, alternator fried at 80k. Transmission crumped at 120k (ouch!). Fun to drive, surprisingly smooth on the highway for a 4-cylinder, and a good looking car inside and out. I'd buy another one, but probably opt for a 5-speed next time.

Worst car I've ever owned
By fubo on 01/02/11 22:06 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A piece of junk. Rust began to show all over a couple of years. All of the door jams and quarter panels near the wheels are rusted. Two years ago I had to have all 4 rims replaced because they were corroded. Luckily they were replaced under warranty. I asked Mazda for help this time around since the rust began to show when it was still under warranty but they refused, even though the dealership and the regional mgr for Mazda were "shocked" when they saw the rust and agreed this should not happen to a 4-5 year old car. I've had a Ford and a Jeep, sold it after more than 10 years with no rust. Heat? Very weak. AC? At first I thought it broke down. Took it in, they said it's normal.