Used 2004 Mazda Mazda3 s Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Bet Car Purchase Ever
By pagzzz

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in 2004 and approaching 90k miles. Every mile has been enjoyable. Thought about getting a newer car with better performance and luxury, but decided that this car so perfectly meets my needs, I'm going to drive it into the ground. No major problems (aside from nasty pothole related suspension stuff) and has maintained high 20's combined mileage while remaining fun to drive. Won't win a drag race, but can slalom with many "performance" cars. Definitely recommend upgrading stock rubber to slightly wider, stickier set. On my third set of BFG's 215/45R17 rubber. Great tires for this car.

Favorite Features

Strong engine, excellent suspension, subtley dynamic styling (don't like the smiley face 2010+), huge cargo carrying capability, comfortable interior (I'm 6'2" and there is a ton of room for me)

Suggested Improvements

Tad more power, better rear seat comfort

100k and going strong
By jeremily

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A quick update, I've posted before. Now over 100k miles in under 6 years, my Mazda3 is still going strong, with no major issues. I am still on the stock, original clutch- though it's pretty worn right now. Timing belt is due- which requires pulling the engine. :( With just oil changes and lots of miles, I wouldn't complain about a few more hp to match the superb suspension. Lifetime best tank of 38mpg, typical 30mpg highway biased driving, but not especially gentle. I absolutely love the great visibility from HIDs, and very comfortable seats for long drives. Cupholders and right elbow support could be improved for better ergos, but overall excellent. No regrets about this purchase.

Favorite Features

Suspension; headlights (HID); firm, comfortable seats don't give numb-butt after 12 hour drives.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, right elbow support could be reconfigured slightly for better long-drive comfort. Stereo, while nifty integrated console, precludes easy upgrade to standard DIN module. OEM replacement console insert with DIN would be a good option, clock and temp display driver for console display.

Highly recommended
By Slim goody

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A fun car to drive with the optional 2.3 liter engine. I prefer manual transmission, but the automatic was good because of the manual shift feature. Fit and finish were very good. Good room (we had the hatchback), handing and steering tight and nimble. Only problem was with one window that quit working, but our local dealer fixed under warrantee with no issues. Local dealer experience very good. They offered free tires and battery for the life of the car if regular scheduled maintenance done. Good fuel economy, we actually got better than what's posted on the window sticker. A good car for the money, don't even bother with any comparable American-made compacts.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, nimble handling, a good stereo system. Strong windshield Glass, resists flying Stone cracks better than other cars.

Suggested Improvements

Offer more manual cars, go with less power assist in the steering. Maybe offer a two door version to compete with Honda and scion coupes.

Still brand new after 5 yrs
By Joeschmoh

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I bought it new 5 years ago and I still get a thrill driving it. The car hugs the road, has lots of power, and is a super easy stick shift to drive. My wife hated sticks until this car. It gets me to work without costing too much, it gets the entire family around comfortably, and I can load it up with junk from Home Depot. The versatility combined with a car that's a joy to drive makes it a no-brainer car to buy. I average 27 mpg in traffic, and 30-31 mpg highway.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, great suspension, forgiving stick shift, great interior, head turning looks, versatile interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers and an AUX jack. I wish the tires were cheaper.

Fantastic vehicle
By Johnboy

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I found my 2004 Yellow Mazda3 Hatch at the dealership just calling out my name. The previous owner apparently wanted a MazdaSpeed3 and this was what they traded in. Mine is a 5-speed manual and extremely fun to drive and tour with. Great gas mileage helps me save on my commute to work, and to say that my car turns heads would be an understatement. The ONLY complaint I have on this vehicle is that the stock tires that come with it are HORRIBLE in adverse weather (snow and/or rain). Got 4 new tires and the difference is amazing. Only one issue in 2 years (seat belt sensor) was fixed immediately and has not reappeared.

Favorite Features

Hatchback system is great to transport pretty much anything you want. The seat styling is also very sharp looking and comfortable, a rare find in stock seats.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the stock Eagle RS-A tires, they are loud and don't do well in any kind of adverse conditions. Also, the rear seat legroom is not the greatest if fully occupied, though this is a compact vehicle, so I wasn't expecting a ton to begin with.