2004 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Bet Car Purchase Ever
By pagzzz on 12/23/11 10:40 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in 2004 and approaching 90k miles. Every mile has been enjoyable. Thought about getting a newer car with better performance and luxury, but decided that this car so perfectly meets my needs, I'm going to drive it into the ground. No major problems (aside from nasty pothole related suspension stuff) and has maintained high 20's combined mileage while remaining fun to drive. Won't win a drag race, but can slalom with many "performance" cars. Definitely recommend upgrading stock rubber to slightly wider, stickier set. On my third set of BFG's 215/45R17 rubber. Great tires for this car.

100k and going strong
By jeremily on 01/28/10 20:13 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A quick update, I've posted before. Now over 100k miles in under 6 years, my Mazda3 is still going strong, with no major issues. I am still on the stock, original clutch- though it's pretty worn right now. Timing belt is due- which requires pulling the engine. :( With just oil changes and lots of miles, I wouldn't complain about a few more hp to match the superb suspension. Lifetime best tank of 38mpg, typical 30mpg highway biased driving, but not especially gentle. I absolutely love the great visibility from HIDs, and very comfortable seats for long drives. Cupholders and right elbow support could be improved for better ergos, but overall excellent. No regrets about this purchase.

Highly recommended
By Slim goody on 01/10/10 13:31 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A fun car to drive with the optional 2.3 liter engine. I prefer manual transmission, but the automatic was good because of the manual shift feature. Fit and finish were very good. Good room (we had the hatchback), handing and steering tight and nimble. Only problem was with one window that quit working, but our local dealer fixed under warrantee with no issues. Local dealer experience very good. They offered free tires and battery for the life of the car if regular scheduled maintenance done. Good fuel economy, we actually got better than what's posted on the window sticker. A good car for the money, don't even bother with any comparable American-made compacts.

Still brand new after 5 yrs
By Joeschmoh on 07/01/09 22:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I bought it new 5 years ago and I still get a thrill driving it. The car hugs the road, has lots of power, and is a super easy stick shift to drive. My wife hated sticks until this car. It gets me to work without costing too much, it gets the entire family around comfortably, and I can load it up with junk from Home Depot. The versatility combined with a car that's a joy to drive makes it a no-brainer car to buy. I average 27 mpg in traffic, and 30-31 mpg highway.

Fantastic vehicle
By Johnboy on 04/21/09 09:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I found my 2004 Yellow Mazda3 Hatch at the dealership just calling out my name. The previous owner apparently wanted a MazdaSpeed3 and this was what they traded in. Mine is a 5-speed manual and extremely fun to drive and tour with. Great gas mileage helps me save on my commute to work, and to say that my car turns heads would be an understatement. The ONLY complaint I have on this vehicle is that the stock tires that come with it are HORRIBLE in adverse weather (snow and/or rain). Got 4 new tires and the difference is amazing. Only one issue in 2 years (seat belt sensor) was fixed immediately and has not reappeared.

My Little Mazda
By mazda3driver on 12/31/08 23:36 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda3 in Nebraska and drove it back to Vegas. That's 1255 miles. I got an average of 24-26mpg the whole way. Not bad, but definitely could be better. This includes the driving in Colorado. If anybody has driven through there, you know what I mean. I got about 24 in that area. Your auto-stick really comes in handy up those hills. I was in 3rd gear up most of them. While in Nebraska, it was really cold. For some reason it didn't want to start early in the morning at 0 degrees. Not sure. After it was started, everything was fine. Took a couple times, but it did start. I tried putting heet in the gas tank, but didn't seem to do anything. The tail end likes to slide in the snow. A+

Fun Family Wagon
By Jerry Wacek on 11/11/08 19:09 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in July 2004. Very fun to drive, and it looks great for a 5 door wagon. Good amount of pep and corners flat with a lot of grip. Good cargo space, once fit an armchair in the back with the seats folded. Rear is a little tight with a rear facing child seat, but otherwise good for two adults. I'm 6'3" and fit very comfortably with only a little rubbing on the center console. MPG are a little less than expected, partly because it is so easy to drive fast. My 2004 only has a 4 speed auto so RPM are a little high on the freeway. Negatives include weak AC, high road noise, ride can be firm on broken pavement, only one intermittent wiper speed, tires are expensive to replace

The alternate to my Corvette
By Larry on 07/11/08 20:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving a Corvette on the weekend, but the Mazda 3 makes my 80 mile workday commute more than enjoyable. Over the years, I've also owned an RX-7 and a Protege, and this Mazda is another winner. My 5 speed wagon has leather, sunroof and 6 CD player, and no problems to report at 80K. Excellent car and looking to replace it with either the MX-5 or a Mazdaspeed 3.

Best car for the buck!
By lucaspl88 on 06/06/08 10:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently bought a mazda 3 hatchback with manual transmission. It was a used car, and the only words that came out of my mouth when I drove it for the first time were OH WOW!! Car is incredibly fun to drive, great gas mileage, and it also looks great. Great torque, no need to down-shift when passing someone up on the expressway. Great car, fits all my friends, and the most important, fits my personality.

Awesome car
By Frank Rizzo on 03/23/08 16:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just love this car. It is without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. And I have owned quite a few cars over the last few years. This car is very reliable and a pleasure to drive. I drive about 100 miles a day and when I get out of work it is a pleasure to drive 50 miles to get home. This car also handles great, last weekend I got off an exit ramp with a speed limit of 40 mph while going close to 100 mph, unreal handling, sure my wife's hair was standing on end and the three kids were screaming in the back seat, but what fun. Great car, highly recommended.