2004 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Love my car but BEWARE
By sydneycmiller on 11/26/12 13:35 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car is the plain Jane type but it was still love at first sight. I bought it used and had trouble with the second day I had it. It's automatic and it would stall at every light or stop sign I hit. Mechanics suggested it was a faulty computer. Mazda told me unless I could prove it, it wouldn't be covered. Reset the computer and it seemed to be fine until I hit 133k kms. Then the transmisson blew. So now I'm stuck with a $2500 bill, AGAIN. I guess I got a lemon but most resellers don't even want to consider selling these transmissions anymore because they continue to come back on a regular basis. Also, the CD plyr is faulty and hates most CDS, old or new.

Best car ever!
By veester on 10/24/12 19:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new 8 years ago and I can honestly say it has been the best car I've ever owned! Thus far the only things we've had to change on it have been the brakes and of course the tires. Anyway, great first time car for anyone! I will be trading up soon for a small SUV.

Worst car I've ever owned
By yagdoogie on 03/15/12 22:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced the transmission. Twice. Motor "clicks," my mechanic thought it was going to throw a rod. Six months later, still clicking. Front end needed to be rebuilt at 102k. Roughest running four-cylinder I've ever seen. Dealer said that's a characteristic of the motor. Hunh.

Wonderful
By k'smazda on 05/09/10 17:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great family vehicle, it's reliable and extremely fun to drive. We've moved twice since we've owned it and could not believe how much we could cram inside. The interior cleans up nicely with a vacuum or carpet cleaning. The only issue we've had with the interior is that the cloth on one of the doors wasn't glued well.

Zoom zoom.....no rust.....rust....rust
By Rusty Mazda on 06/15/09 10:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A fun car to drive for the first four years. Rust started this winter and in a few short months has almost devoured the car. Not since my 71 Torino have I seen a vehicle rust so bad. I would never buy another

Perfect Commuter
By Scotticus on 05/13/09 10:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun, reliable little car that looks good and scores outstanding fuel economy. For the first 1552.5 miles, I've used 49.19 gallons for an average 31.56 mpg. 6-disc changer, power moonroof, comfortable interior and civilized conveniences make this agile little pet an outstanding compromise of affordability and comfort. It's the perfect commuter, and value-priced.

Zoom-Zoom to Putt-Putt
By Paul on 11/21/08 09:48 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Mazda 3 in March of 04, brand new, with only 4 miles on it. I shopped around for several months, and knowing I couldn't afford an Audi, I went with something as comparative and fun to drive. The first couple of years were great. It turned heads and drove like a cat. It had a few small annoying features, like no finger pace to open the trunk, poor cabin sound and a mediocre stereo. But then the transmission and clutch started having problems. It gave a little trouble at first, and then the third gear just went along with the warranty.

Mazda3 for me
By travisthomas on 01/15/08 16:59 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In March I will have had this car for 4 years. To this date the only complaint I have is the cloth interior tends to fray with use. The carpet as well could be a little more durable. A driver's foot rest would be nice. Typically after 2 years I tend to get tired of a car. But after four years I am still in love with this car. Mazda has a winner with this car. In this time of high gas prices it is nice to find a car that looks great, fun to drive and gets great gas mileage. My 5 speed tends to get 38 to 40 mpg on the highway and 33 to 35 mpg in the city which is full of stops and goes.

Zoom-Zoom!!! No regrets
By Alex on 08/13/07 15:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine in September 2004. Put 50000 miles on it -no problems!! Just changed oil and brake pads. I live in Colorado and go up in the mountains a lot. This car amazed me with its peppy engine and fast down shifting when going uphills. My wife chose the car - I was kinda reluctant first but after driving, I fell in love. Man, I love Mazda! Looking to buy manual 2.3S hatchback model for myself now :).

Awesome Car
By Jeremy on 06/24/07 19:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2004 and have not been disappointed at all. I average 30 mpg city/highway and when I am doing only highway driving I easily get 33 mpg at 75 mph. The steering on the car is great and it will take corners faster than most cars. I took a 45 mph curve at 90 mph and didn't spin out. The braking distance and power of the car is amazing. You barely have to hit the brake pedal for the brakes to engage and going on to different cars feels like you have to stand on the brakes in those other cars. Overall this is an excellent car and I would recommend it to anyone.