Used 2004 Mazda 3 i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Love my car but BEWARE
By sydneycmiller

2004 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car is the plain Jane type but it was still love at first sight. I bought it used and had trouble with the second day I had it. It's automatic and it would stall at every light or stop sign I hit. Mechanics suggested it was a faulty computer. Mazda told me unless I could prove it, it wouldn't be covered. Reset the computer and it seemed to be fine until I hit 133k kms. Then the transmisson blew. So now I'm stuck with a $2500 bill, AGAIN. I guess I got a lemon but most resellers don't even want to consider selling these transmissions anymore because they continue to come back on a regular basis. Also, the CD plyr is faulty and hates most CDS, old or new.

Favorite Features

The thing I loved most about my car was the inside looked super nice. The instruments looked so clean and very sporty. Trunk space is a good size and back seat leg room is also nice.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, seats stain easy, a bit hard to see when backing up, lights fog up and get cloudy.

Best car ever!
By veester

2004 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new 8 years ago and I can honestly say it has been the best car I've ever owned! Thus far the only things we've had to change on it have been the brakes and of course the tires. Anyway, great first time car for anyone! I will be trading up soon for a small SUV.

Favorite Features

The Car itself is very reliable and has offered very good MPG.

Suggested Improvements

There are three things that i struggle with, of which two are cosmetic. For the last 4 years the AC has broke down every summer (Texas heat - not cool!), the inside siding of the front doors were apparently glued on originally (vs. sown on) because they began peeling off 5 years ago, and the seats are no longer comfy. Other than that the Mazda 3 has been great car!

Worst car I've ever owned
By yagdoogie

2004 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced the transmission. Twice. Motor "clicks," my mechanic thought it was going to throw a rod. Six months later, still clicking. Front end needed to be rebuilt at 102k. Roughest running four-cylinder I've ever seen. Dealer said that's a characteristic of the motor. Hunh.

Favorite Features

Only favorite feature was my joy the day I sold it. Going back to Honda & Toyota. My $800 corolla was a better car than the mazda.

Suggested Improvements

Let the Japanese completely re-engineer this piece of doo doo.

Wonderful
By k'smazda

2004 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great family vehicle, it's reliable and extremely fun to drive. We've moved twice since we've owned it and could not believe how much we could cram inside. The interior cleans up nicely with a vacuum or carpet cleaning. The only issue we've had with the interior is that the cloth on one of the doors wasn't glued well.

Favorite Features

Sporty handling, very fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior build quality, 5 speed auto desired over 4 speed, economy level cars should get a little better gas mileage, even a modern day base model should have automatic locks, traction control and ABS....

Zoom zoom.....no rust.....rust....rust
By Rusty Mazda

2004 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A fun car to drive for the first four years. Rust started this winter and in a few short months has almost devoured the car. Not since my 71 Torino have I seen a vehicle rust so bad. I would never buy another

Suggested Improvements

Build a vehicle that is good as North American vehicle rust performance