Used 2004 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 650 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Wish I still had it!
By Antoinette

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Mazda in 2014 with 110k miles. She was a one owner car before me and they took very good care of her. I'm sad to say I totaled her at 140k miles. She never broke down on me. I did treat her well and got routine maintenance done. The worst thing about her was the road noise and she was a little bit of a bumpy ride. When the air bag went off it exploded and filled my car with smoke. I hit a car in front of me on highway 405 going about 35 miles per hour. If i had the choice having her back I would.

201,895 original miles!
By Erika

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the '04 2.3 hatchbck manual brand new. Hwy driving t wrk 100 miles a day 4 the past 11yrs. Yes the ck engine lite does come on alot but that is its job t alert you-usually small fixes. Tires are expensive t replace & the pax headlight. Only major work was recently ignition coils replacement wear & tear.t

Real Zoom Zoom Car
By bks

2004 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a Canadian Version Debut 2004 In Seattle. Very Peppy. Felt like driving a BMW or something no way like an Average Corolla or Sentra or a Civic.
Bought it at 7 years old in 2011 with 116K Kms or 70 K miles approximately.
Power steering hose was leaking. Mechanic could not find the spares from Ford.
Went on and finally locked up in the middle of lane change. stalled.
Replaced a Original OEM PS Pump for 1250. No problems after that. Never changed the Michelin Tires from costco that previous owner had.
Struggles while climbing steep uphill. Pickup is awesome, can easily challenge a Dodge or BMW.
Interiors are great that money can buy. stereo is superior .

No regrets!
By gwen

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2004 in 2006 while still under warranty, and 9 years and 138000 miles later am only now thinking of upgrading. Longest I've ever driven one particular vehicle. The most cost comes with replacing the low profile tires so frequently but otherwise has been essentially maintenance free with giving it regular oil changes and routine checkups. I absolutely love this solid little car. I even discovered I could camp in it. As I age I need slightly better front seats for comfort and therefore am also looking to upgrade to maybe a Mazda CX-5. I love hatchbacks, I don't like SUVs, vans and sedans and this car is perfect.

Great car until the warranty runs out
By Barry Rodriguez

2004 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 3 since Dcember of 2003. In 11 years i've put 70,000 miles on it. I've maintained meticulous records of all the service visits and have used only genuine mazda replacement parts. This past year my car has begun to ask for parts. First the tranny started to lock up in 3rd. replaced the speed sensor and ECU. worked fine until last month, now they say i have to replace the tranny all together. She also started to leak gas when filled. Mazda claims it's the pump. research on the net recomend replacement of just the pump cap the are prone to crack. BIG difference i price. Dealer also claims my power stearing hoses are bad and my oul filter is bad. my car has never leaked a drrop .

Great car, GreAT Looks, sturdy and reliable

Car is so good, healers havee to make up faults in order to make any money on replacement parts. your better off finding an honest mechanic or finding solutions on the web and doing the work yourself