The Mazda2 is for the car enthusiast of the "B" segment.
By marvinloldham on
2013 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)
I have two types of cars: The sports car I love and the work car I need. It was time for me to replace my need car. so I wanted, cheep, easy to maintain, great mpg, and it had to be A STICK! I looked at the Mazda2, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai accent, Chevy Sonic, and the Honda fit. Let make it REAL easy for you since I drove them all. If you need cargo hauling-- go with the Honda fit. If you want to be under the radar and the best warranty-- go with the Hyundai Accent. If you need bells and whistles- Go with the Ford Fiesta. If you need a compromise of the previous three --- Go with the Chevy Sonic. But if you like a car that acts & feels like a sports car--- Mazda2 hands down!
Favorite Features
The STICK SHIFT in this car is just like the one in the Mazda Miata or similar to the one in the Honda S2000. The steering wheel looks JUST like the one in the Miata and gives the car great road feedback. The engine in the car sounds better than the Ford and the car is 216 lbs (One large grown man difference to put it in perspective.) The controls on the Touring model are stupid simple and the front seats are very comfortable. All the materials are better in the Mazda2 than in the Fiesta and it has more rear leg room than the Fiesta. I've been getting more like 38mpg easily. I can fill up on $25.00 and go 400 miles no problem! Car is still one of the few that comes with a spare tire.
Suggested Improvements
As good as the gear shift is it is a little short when you have tall legs & the seat all the way back. The center divider has no arm rest. You can get an after market one but you loose some of the cup holders. I don't miss the arm rest part but I do miss the extra storage since the car's glove box is small. The little open cubby spots remind me of a 90's civic. The car makes a shhhh sound from the A/C. (It actually sounds like someone is shhhh-ing you to shut up.) I would rather have two AUX ports than one and one for the Ipod since I don't own an Ipod. I would have liked to see a built in bluetooth feature instead of it being a dealer option. It has a 100hp and more power is always nice.