Used 2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda 2 - Consumer Reviews

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 2 model:

Shhh...don't tell anyone why you REALLY bought it.
By troyohchatter

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

$14K out the door (I got a deal!), no options, no infotainment to speak of; just a small Japanese hatchback. Basic transportation. And for that purpose, in and of itself, it was well worth the money to buy. But it's so much more. It's like driving a go-cart to work every day. The steering is spot on, brakes are fantastic, and the handling overall is unbelievable. The seats are sporty and comfortable and the ergonomics are the best I have seen in a long time. Furthermore, no options still means you get keyless entry, windows, locks, and an iPod/MP3 capable sound system. Just an overall good car.

Favorite Features

The 1.5L engine has only a 6300RPM redline, thus the low 100HP rating, but listen; this engine has more midrange punch than the Honda Fit ever dreamed of and is literally loafing on the interstate while the Fit is spinning the cams out of the head. No Skyactive, direct injected, gee whiz technology here; just a well designed, detail oriented hatch.

Suggested Improvements

I think that Mazda could take a note or two from Honda and see how to carve a bit more rear seat and hatch room out of the package. For my use, it's fine, but if it was to be used to haul passengers or large items I would have had to get a Fit.

Awesome little car!
By acarlton

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very fun!When I totaled my Mazda3, I started looking at other cars but nothing came up to snuff like the Mazda. At 100hp per 6k rpm's, it seems like not a lot, and it's not. With a 5M, you can push it a little more and have more control over the car. The interior is excellent in the touring model and does not feel like a tiny car. Road noise is not nearly as loud as I expected. It does well on long trips, getting about 36mi/gallon. I know this is weird to throw in, but this little car handles potholes really well. And unlike one or two reviews I read, it does not "bounce" all over the road. It's very sturdy and handles pretty similarly to my Mazda3 (RIP).

Favorite Features

The handling is excellent, and I love driving it on winding roads. I know some reviews say that this car should get better mpg, but that doesn't bother me as much...the difference between an '07 M3 and an '11 M2 in gas is about 5-7 mpg more; so, I'm happy with that! And also, I'd rather have the ability to give my car a little more power with the manual transmission so I won't get run over on the road than have a few more mpg.

Suggested Improvements

I don't particularly love how easy the clutch is. The first time I test drove the car, I almost shoved the clutch through the floor. My husband says my Mazda 3 was like that, but the clutch is even more responsive in my M2.

The "Fun To Drive" Zoom Zoom Economy Car!
By xcorgi

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

What can I say, this car is just surprising! It really gets better the more you drive it. It is rock solid and it's standard Yokohama tires glue it to the road and is especially secure in fast, tight, turns. This coupled with the amazing suspension makes you feel secure and completely in control at all times. Don't believe the video review BS on YouTube about this thing being underpowered. It's not! It's a perfect balance of horsepower to weight ratio logic. Dont take my word for it. Test drive one and your will be surprised! It may not have the best storage or tech goodies but if you want to fall in love with the Fun Factor of driving every day this is the one! It has the fun fun zoom zoom!

Favorite Features

The incredible turning radius, Honda-like short throw manual shifter. Very smooth. A real canyon carver. This thing handles twisting turning roads with the best of them!Very light body at 2,300 lbs the 100hp really isn't under powered at all in this car. Just consider the horsepower to weight ratio and you will get the idea. In fact, it is the quickest and best handling in it's segment. The Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, Nissan Versa, or Toyota Yaris, don't even come close! They all feel like the under powered, boring eco boxes that they are. The Mazda 2 is the only one with the Fun To Drive factor of a tiny sports car.

Suggested Improvements

They could make the center console cup holders accessable either with or without the optional arm rest. Also, the rear seats are a bit cramped for adults but are still perfect for your kids and their car seats. You can actually fit 3 of each in with no problem. So new parents will be just fine with this one. It may not have the hatchback magic seats of the Honda Fit but then again no one else has those either but you will have no problem loading up the groceries with this baby! These are just some minor complaints at best. However, the trade off for the sporty fun and handling are well worth it. Nothing else in this segment feels this secure and Fun!

The Mazda2 is for the car enthusiast of the "B" segment.
By marvinloldham

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have two types of cars: The sports car I love and the work car I need. It was time for me to replace my need car. so I wanted, cheep, easy to maintain, great mpg, and it had to be A STICK! I looked at the Mazda2, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai accent, Chevy Sonic, and the Honda fit. Let make it REAL easy for you since I drove them all. If you need cargo hauling-- go with the Honda fit. If you want to be under the radar and the best warranty-- go with the Hyundai Accent. If you need bells and whistles- Go with the Ford Fiesta. If you need a compromise of the previous three --- Go with the Chevy Sonic. But if you like a car that acts & feels like a sports car--- Mazda2 hands down!

Favorite Features

The STICK SHIFT in this car is just like the one in the Mazda Miata or similar to the one in the Honda S2000. The steering wheel looks JUST like the one in the Miata and gives the car great road feedback. The engine in the car sounds better than the Ford and the car is 216 lbs (One large grown man difference to put it in perspective.) The controls on the Touring model are stupid simple and the front seats are very comfortable. All the materials are better in the Mazda2 than in the Fiesta and it has more rear leg room than the Fiesta. I've been getting more like 38mpg easily. I can fill up on $25.00 and go 400 miles no problem! Car is still one of the few that comes with a spare tire.

Suggested Improvements

As good as the gear shift is it is a little short when you have tall legs & the seat all the way back. The center divider has no arm rest. You can get an after market one but you loose some of the cup holders. I don't miss the arm rest part but I do miss the extra storage since the car's glove box is small. The little open cubby spots remind me of a 90's civic. The car makes a shhhh sound from the A/C. (It actually sounds like someone is shhhh-ing you to shut up.) I would rather have two AUX ports than one and one for the Ipod since I don't own an Ipod. I would have liked to see a built in bluetooth feature instead of it being a dealer option. It has a 100hp and more power is always nice.

Mazda 2 after 250 miles.
By mikeinct

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had concerns about the Mazda 2 based on other reviewers reports. So far my experience has been very positive. I almost bought a Honda Fit base. But for less money I bought the Mazda2 Touring MT. My feeling is that the Mazda is sportier and more fun to drive. Also I am finding that with careful use of the stick you can get much better economy than reported by EPA. On stop and go commute my mpg is mid to high thirties. I have yet to spend much time on the highway but I won't be surprised to see over 40. I like the interior and the exterior. The build quality is evident. Everything inside and on the dash is intuitive. More later...

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage. Smooth engine. Quiet interior. Comfortable seats. Easy to use shifter.

Suggested Improvements

I read one report that said the clutch engagement is vague. I would tend to agree with this assessment. But after a couple of days of practice I can take off on steep uphills with smooth control. I really think that it is just closer to the floor than most people prefer.