Used 2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 2 model:

Back to Driving, a car that's not an appliance
By David Strain

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a fan of cars that drive well, and are not complicated. The Mazda2 with its five speed manual, a very smooth shifting manual, fits this bill perfectly. Like the Mazda Miata it is not overpowered but its elegant manual shifter more than compensates, and at highway speeds is both comfortable and secure. We drove from San Francisco to Phoenix to Giants spring training and enjoyed the ride at least as much as we had in larger cars like the VW Passat. There were two of us; the back seat is fine for children and comfortable for adults in the Bay Area. It's a hatchback and we could put two suitcases in the "trunk," and of course much more by lowering the back seats. Parking is amazing . . . the car is 144 inches long. There's no touchscreen . . . the things you need get going by buttons, some on the steering wheel. A wonderful car.

An OK cheap car to get you from place to place
By Laurie

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ok first off I will state that this car does what I bought it to do. Go from place to place cheaply and helps me stay out of debt. Cheap was the main reason I bought it. I needed something new, reliable, from a respected manufacturer to get me from place to place. The Mazda 2 does this just fine. With that being said here is what I think of the car.

I bought the automatic touring model.

- Interior.

Cheap plastics that scratch easily. Cheap fabric that tears easily. My back seat tore with only 2000 miles on the car. No one uses my back seat except for occasionally my dog. We religiously put a blanket on the back seat whenever he was in the car to minimize dog hair all over it. Still the seat tore. Had it sewn professionally and it tore again along the seam. With that being said it is a good looking interior with black fabric and red piping to spruce it up a bit.

Hard to see fuel level indicator. Small gauges on the dash. The layout is fine but the gauges and text on the information system are small and hard to read.

Not a lot of room in it. My daughter has both a Mini Cooper Coupe and a Chevy Sonic. Both small cars, like the Mazda 2, but both have tons more room inside. I feel like I am sitting on top of my passenger in the Mazda 2. In order to fit in the car I have to have the seat all the way back, the seat bottom lowered as far as it will go and the seat back reclining far back. In this position I am forced to keep my nose up high to see over the dash. And I am not especially tall (5'7"), but I do get my height from my legs. When I am in the driver's seat there is no leg room at all for any passengers behind me.

Cup holders are hidden underneath the optional arm rest I had installed. No back seat cup holders. Little storage.

We got the 6 speaker Bose system. Its an ok system. I have heard a lot better.

The windows wont defog for the life of me. I have tried every setting on the heat/ac system and the only setting that works in a/c on (even in winter in new england brrr) and full blast fan coming out of the defrost setting only. I had some luck with Rain Dance defogger.

- Exterior.

The chrome peeled off the Mazda 2 logo in back within weeks of buying the car. Other than that the exterior has held up pretty well.

- Mechanics.

It has been a reliable running vehicle now for 2+ years and 50,000 miles on it. It always starts in cold new england winters. Maintenance has been cheap and in frequent. Balise Mazda in West Springfield, Ma has been awesome! Now the bad. The brakes! Ugh. The anti lock brake feature comes on way too early. I have had multiple issues stopping in it. I found pumping helps. I brought this up to Mazda service and they cant find anything wrong with them. Today I nearly hit a Jeep in front of me and it wasnt even in hard braking conditions. The anti lock braking comes on at random times. This is not acceptable and is the main reason I am trading the car in. I need braking power. Too many hills and bad road conditions in western Massachusetts to play around with finicky brakes.

- Handling.

It is easy to drive and handles fine. I taught my teenaged daughter to drive in it. It is way underpowered for driving in a hilly or mountainous region. I have given up on certain freeway on ramps because the car just doesnt have enough power to get up to 65 and merge. Now on to winter driving. Get 4 really good snow tires if you have to drive on snow at all. I had NO control on snow with the stock tires. I have a little better with top of the line snow tires but its still not really good and leaves me driving with sweat covered hands due to nerves.

- Overall.

If you are looking for something cheap, with fair MPG, and from a reliable maker then the Mazda 2 is a good bet. If you live in a hilly or mountainous area with bad weather then look at something with better handling, heating, power and control.

Shhh...don't tell anyone why you REALLY bought it.
By troyohchatter

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

$14K out the door (I got a deal!), no options, no infotainment to speak of; just a small Japanese hatchback. Basic transportation. And for that purpose, in and of itself, it was well worth the money to buy. But it's so much more. It's like driving a go-cart to work every day. The steering is spot on, brakes are fantastic, and the handling overall is unbelievable. The seats are sporty and comfortable and the ergonomics are the best I have seen in a long time. Furthermore, no options still means you get keyless entry, windows, locks, and an iPod/MP3 capable sound system. Just an overall good car.

The 1.5L engine has only a 6300RPM redline, thus the low 100HP rating, but listen; this engine has more midrange punch than the Honda Fit ever dreamed of and is literally loafing on the interstate while the Fit is spinning the cams out of the head. No Skyactive, direct injected, gee whiz technology here; just a well designed, detail oriented hatch.

I think that Mazda could take a note or two from Honda and see how to carve a bit more rear seat and hatch room out of the package. For my use, it's fine, but if it was to be used to haul passengers or large items I would have had to get a Fit.

Awesome little car!
By acarlton

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is very fun!When I totaled my Mazda3, I started looking at other cars but nothing came up to snuff like the Mazda.

At 100hp per 6k rpm's, it seems like not a lot, and it's not. With a 5M, you can push it a little more and have more control over the car. The interior is excellent in the touring model and does not feel like a tiny car. Road noise is not nearly as loud as I expected. It does well on long trips, getting about 36mi/gallon. I know this is weird to throw in, but this little car handles potholes really well.
And unlike one or two reviews I read, it does not "bounce" all over the road. It's very sturdy and handles pretty similarly to my Mazda3 (RIP).

The handling is excellent, and I love driving it on winding roads. I know some reviews say that this car should get better mpg, but that doesn't bother me as much...the difference between an '07 M3 and an '11 M2 in gas is about 5-7 mpg more; so, I'm happy with that! And also, I'd rather have the ability to give my car a little more power with the manual transmission so I won't get run over on the road than have a few more mpg.

I don't particularly love how easy the clutch is. The first time I test drove the car, I almost shoved the clutch through the floor. My husband says my Mazda 3 was like that, but the clutch is even more responsive in my M2.

The "Fun To Drive" Zoom Zoom Economy Car!
By xcorgi

2013 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

What can I say, this car is just surprising! It really gets better the more you drive it. It is rock solid and it's standard Yokohama tires glue it to the road and is especially secure in fast, tight, turns. This coupled with the amazing suspension makes you feel secure and completely in control at all times. Don't believe the video review BS on YouTube about this thing being underpowered. It's not! It's a perfect balance of horsepower to weight ratio logic. Dont take my word for it. Test drive one and your will be surprised! It may not have the best storage or tech goodies but if you want to fall in love with the Fun Factor of driving every day this is the one! It has the fun fun zoom zoom!

The incredible turning radius, Honda-like short throw manual shifter. Very smooth. A real canyon carver. This thing handles twisting turning roads with the best of them!Very light body at 2,300 lbs the 100hp really isn't under powered at all in this car. Just consider the horsepower to weight ratio and you will get the idea. In fact, it is the quickest and best handling in it's segment. The Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, Nissan Versa, or Toyota Yaris, don't even come close! They all feel like the under powered, boring eco boxes that they are. The Mazda 2 is the only one with the Fun To Drive factor of a tiny sports car.

They could make the center console cup holders accessable either with or without the optional arm rest. Also, the rear seats are a bit cramped for adults but are still perfect for your kids and their car seats. You can actually fit 3 of each in with no problem. So new parents will be just fine with this one. It may not have the hatchback magic seats of the Honda Fit but then again no one else has those either but you will have no problem loading up the groceries with this baby! These are just some minor complaints at best. However, the trade off for the sporty fun and handling are well worth it. Nothing else in this segment feels this secure and Fun!