Used 2012 Mazda 2 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 2 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 2 model:

Smiley Car, Smiley Driver
By projectm96

2012 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a Porsche Boxster and have driven many high end sports cars including the Acura NSX. None of them are as fun as the Mazda 2 5SPD Manual. I bought the car used with low mileage and I use it daily and in autocross. It is a great little race car for autocross events. It makes driving fun. The engine is peppy and feels strong and the car is surprisingly quiet and smooth. With my spirited mixed city/highway driving, I average 29.5 mpg.

Manual transmission, turning circle radius, handling, steering feel, peppy engine, fuel economy, low cost maintenance/parts.

Cup holders are useless. They are positioned too far back, making it awkward to reach for drinks. If the arm rest is included, it blocks access to the cup holders and limits you from storing taller drinks like large water bottles. The ABS is too intrusive. It activates under every bump and pot hole in the road. With the roads in PA, the ABS activates a few times each day in my commute to work. The ABS is also too loud. A 2012 model car with no USB port? A 2012 economy car without a standard fuel economy gauge?

Absolute blast
By krayzieray

2012 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had my Mazda 2 for 6 months now and just love driving it anywhere I can, even with 2 child seats in the back there is ample seating room (as long as there's just kids) back seat is only good for 2 adults at most. The lay out is simple and straight forward which I find appealing over the overly done subcompact cars, though I did install a 8" navi/Bluetooth/DVD screen for around $350 which just makes the car look a little more upmarket, the seats are supportive and comfy but a little to soft for me, and with just enough cargo space. Overall I highly recommend the Mazda 2 for anyone looking for affordable, reliable, and a fun all around car, as long as you get the manual. ZOOM ZOOM

I'm averaging 33-34 mpg (mostly highway) and costing around $28-$30 to fill up at 3.47 gal, that my friend is a win, win. Handling is always top priority with Mazda products that's why I own 2 Mazda at this time (2008 Mazda 6 highly modified and the Mazda 2 I'm reviewing now.

Sway bars are a must which helps so much with handling of this little car. Possibly 20 extra ponies we can squeeze out from somewhere to make it a little more competitive in this segment though the Mazda 2 is now slouch, it would be greatly appreciated.

So Far So Great!
By rikdea

2012 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just got this car used, with 39000 miles on it and the engine fires right up and doesn't miss a beat. I'm loving the gas mileage. I had a small SUV before I bought this car, and this little Mazda has cut my gas bill in half! It's surprisingly zippy and fun to drive. I agree with the other drivers here, that it's not sluggish at all. Even with the a/c or heater running, when I step on the gas, it responds, and I have no trouble getting on the highway. Park it anywhere. Comfy interior. Plenty of room for a tall person up front, not as much leg room in back, but that's not something I'm concerned about.

I like the cover that hides the things I put in the hatch. I especially like where the gear shift is located, and that the seat belt adjusts where it doesn't feel like it will slice my neck. There is a lot more room up front that what it first appears. I'm tall and there is plenty of head room. Decent stereo. Gas mileage is awesome.

Not much to improve on, but it could use a couple more cubby holes. There's not one for sunglasses, and I kind of miss that. Also, the arm rest blocks the console cup holders if it's down. Nothing I can't get used to, though, and I like the car so much that it really doesn't matter.

Great little car
By mhalper

2012 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a 2008 chevy equinox rthis car is an engineering masterpiece the chevy was crap had a chinese engione used a qt of oil between changes this car uses no oil is quiet solid when you have fooor on brake shift in to D or R no clunk like an american cars engine is quiet everything works perfect thee onloy complaint i thin k it need s a bigger engine 1.8 more power if yiou step on hgas too hard it downshifts easily mikleage is good overall 28 have gotten 42 on highway going 65. The mazdas are 96 percdnt made in japan nthey are well made like toyotas in the early 90's .

2012 Sport manual
By kengriffey

2012 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new and have put on 2000 miles so far. Got the Sport because I couldn't find any Touring models with manuals in my area. Excellent handling, I really feel like I can toss this car around. The shifter is very smooth and quick. At first I was worried about the 100hp but while it won't knock you back in your seat during acceleration it is more than adequate(previous car was a 9-3 Saab). Personally I like the simpleness of the car, the dash is basic and for an economy car it's what it should be. I've been averaging 33 mpg with most of my driving at 70 mph on the highway. Basically it is what most of the reviews say, a fun to drive economy car.

Simple dash and radio, Shifter Handling