Used 2011 Mazda Mazda2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda Mazda2 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda2 model:

A true Zoom-Zoom
By redkills

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased a M2 just in sept of 2011. I love the handling on the car and yes it may be a bit short on power aka 2 least powered car sold in US market but it's light weight and amazing handling makes this the perfect city zipping car. I went with the sport because the touring is a waste of money. you get "extra" stuff you don't really need, plus for those that want to autocross the sport weights less. I'd rather add my own aftermarket gear and tuning. such as adding a in dash nav, if you have the touring version adding a in dash nav will make most of your wheel control features useless. lastly, this is a great car for easy upgrading and aftermarket work.

Favorite Features

Handling is great, great body shape and I love the 15's it rides on. The interior is bare and simple but still very comfortable One of the first thing I did was add H&R lowering springs since the wheel gap on the stock was HUGE. Also had to do an aftermarket sunroof from coach auto oregon too since it wasn't even an option for factory. For any of you other mazda owners out there looking for preformance parts. Corksport in washington pretty much makes all sorts of parts for any mazda, that's where i'm getting most of my gear.

Suggested Improvements

My biggest gripe is how the japanese Mazda Demio aka 2 in the us has MUCH better stock options than USA. In fact at one point they were offering a in dash nav for FREE! the Jap M2 also comes with projection headlights which costs us almost 800 extra to purchase. Lastly I don't like the lack of OEM market here in US, I've called every mazda dealership in my area to ask about parts that the manufacture makes, but none of them carry any of those. It's prob cause the car model is new, but I sure hope they get that changed. It's lame that europe and japan get all the cool factory stuff we can't even touch yet without paying a rediculous amount for shipping.

Best handling subcompact hatchback out there
By carboloader

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Exactly what I planned on buying. The 2 handles great. It is best on curvy roads. I put a K&N air filter in it and it helped the acceleration. I drive 90% highway driving and I am averaging 40 mpg. That is with 3k miles on it. It is not a perfect car; however, I think that it is the best handling subcompact hatchback sold today. I test drove both auto and manual an the manual is the most fun to drive. I test drove other cars, but this car handles better than the other subcompacts that I drove. This car has the zoom zoom handling Mazda is famous for. At least test drive one before you buy another subcompact. I would buy this car again.

Favorite Features

Handling is great. The steering is responsive. Braking is great considering rear drums are on this car. The manual shifter shifts accurately with short shifting motion. Visibility is good.

Suggested Improvements

An arm rest would be nice. Four wheel disk brakes. Sunroof option. Telescoping steering wheel.

Oh my gosh!
By tsarheld1

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car nearly 2 weeks ago and I love it. Have burned though 2 tanks of gas...had an emergency in the family out of town....but on tank was around town and I got 33.28mpg and the second tank was all highway miles at 37.58 mpg...not bad for less that 500 miles on the car. I was really captured by the looks and took a test drive and then went home and checkout lots of online review...from people not consumer reports ..".which I find useless when it comes to cars". Everyone that owned on raved about handling so I took another test drive and checked out the competition ......and I was convinced this was the car to replace my tired old 2004 Aveo.

Favorite Features

The interior workmanship is great and overall fit and finish is supreme. Stereo is nice, and I love 5-speed transmission.

Suggested Improvements

it needs a usb port for my plug in music.

fantastic choice
By bridgetshaw

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car on a whim. I was at a Mazda dealership with a friend to get their car washed, looked around the lot, and ended up buying this wonderful car after four hours and two test drives. I had a 2000 Toyota Camry before this one and I loved my Camry so very much. I wanted a new one, but with Toyota's recalls I wasn't sure. After I test drove this car and realized what a good deal it was for the mpg and price and everything I was set. I'm a delivery driver so this car gets its use in, I'm already over 2000 miles having bought it the end of June. It is very fun to drive, great space in the car for being so tiny, roomy trunk, and it is pretty quick for such a small engine.

Favorite Features

aux imput/stero, rear windsheild wiper, front wipers are excellent, cover over the trunk area, great handling and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

arm rests, an ash tray, cruise control, faster pick up.

Very Fun to Drive but Needs More Power and Comfort
By weskania

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda2 is a lot of fun to drive, it handles well and gets excellent gas mileage. I regularly get over the stated 35 MPG highway, getting around 37 MPG average. Hills can be a bit of a problem, as this car doesn't have a very big engine. I can make it through the mountains fine, but it's necessary to downshift considerably to speed up on hills. The car is comfortable for short trips, but for long trips, can get uncomfortable. There is no lumbar support or center armrest, which can be uncomfortable for longer rides. However, for a small car, it feels big inside and has excellent visibility.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage is by far the best part of this car. It gets better than stated mileage. In addition, it's a fun car to drive, especially with a manual transmission. Although lacking more advanced technological features, the controls are simple, well laid out, and easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely needs lumbar support and a center armrest. A turbocharged version would also be welcomed, as the extra power to get up hills (especially with passengers in the car) is necessary at times.