Used 2011 Mazda 2 Touring Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 2 model:

Happy with M2
By rjfinva

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Don't know what people expect. If you are looking for a high end expensive sports car, shop on! With the 5 speed, this car has more than enough get up and go, and is a blast to drive. First gear could be a little taller. Seats are frim but nit uncomfortable. It handles like a go cart, and rides like one too, that's the car's design! It holds the road like glue, but picks up all the bumps. I live in Hampton Roads, VA, mostly highway driving, and with premium gas (which I recommend for performance) I average 38 mpg if I drive conservatively. Get a K&N air filter for the performance tweak, it's worth the money and the filter saves $$ in the long run as it is washable.

Great handling, tranny, mileage.

Taller first gear, maybe a 6 speed tranny manual and auto, more sound insulation (c'mon, Mazda, how much would this cost).

Please read if your considering a great affordable car
By tobbeybear

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have 2011 Mazda 2 touring with 51k. Just retired my mazda protege with 300k on it. The protege has the 1.5 liter which only has with 90hp. The mazda 2 also has the 1.5liter. Every go see the christmas lights and you can not turn your head lamps off?The 2 doesnt have the day running lamps. Has a self adjusting timing chain and not a timing belt so thats saving you 500 to 600 every 100k that you have to change on most imports.I work at a big dealership and get to drive every make and model and can say with certianty that this mazda is the funnest car out. The 5 speed tranny is smooth. The engine isnt loud. So what it only has 100hp. Thats a upgrade for me from the 90hp I had for many years

The car corners great with very little body roll. The suspension is awesome. I have 51k and no rattles and only had to replace tires recently. The doors are light and really quiet when opening and closing. The interior is nice and everything is easy to work and understand. I personally do not mind not having blue tooth or a usb. It does have a aux input. The cruise, stereo controlls, and information center are all located on the steering wheel. Am getting 36mpg combined and gets 40mpg on the hwy. Please take this car for a test drive if you havent yet. Yes there are fancier cars available. I just know that for longevity that you are going to get the most from your dollar per ownership.

I have driven my car many miles all over and truely would not change or add anything. The engine in this car will out last a majority in its class. Go back 15 to 20 years and look what small cars are still cruising around? Mostly hondas, toyota, nissans and mazdas. Where are the grand ams, caviliers, breezes? Stay away from the Accents, Rios, Aveo (Daewoo).If you dont believe me go find one to test drive that has a over 100k on it.Sure there are some nice domestic cars out. the fiesta that is similiar to the mazda 2 except the mazda is 99% Japan. and the fiesta has a 1.6 liter with 20plus more horse power however you cant tell it becasue the mazda 2 weighs almost 300 pounds less.Good luck

Best handling subcompact hatchback out there
By carboloader

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Exactly what I planned on buying. The 2 handles great. It is best on curvy roads. I put a K&N air filter in it and it helped the acceleration. I drive 90% highway driving and I am averaging 40 mpg. That is with 3k miles on it. It is not a perfect car; however, I think that it is the best handling subcompact hatchback sold today. I test drove both auto and manual an the manual is the most fun to drive. I test drove other cars, but this car handles better than the other subcompacts that I drove. This car has the zoom zoom handling Mazda is famous for. At least test drive one before you buy another subcompact. I would buy this car again.

Handling is great. The steering is responsive. Braking is great considering rear drums are on this car. The manual shifter shifts accurately with short shifting motion. Visibility is good.

An arm rest would be nice. Four wheel disk brakes. Sunroof option. Telescoping steering wheel.

Very Fun to Drive but Needs More Power and Comfort
By weskania

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda2 is a lot of fun to drive, it handles well and gets excellent gas mileage. I regularly get over the stated 35 MPG highway, getting around 37 MPG average. Hills can be a bit of a problem, as this car doesn't have a very big engine. I can make it through the mountains fine, but it's necessary to downshift considerably to speed up on hills. The car is comfortable for short trips, but for long trips, can get uncomfortable. There is no lumbar support or center armrest, which can be uncomfortable for longer rides. However, for a small car, it feels big inside and has excellent visibility.

Fuel mileage is by far the best part of this car. It gets better than stated mileage. In addition, it's a fun car to drive, especially with a manual transmission. Although lacking more advanced technological features, the controls are simple, well laid out, and easy to use.

Absolutely needs lumbar support and a center armrest. A turbocharged version would also be welcomed, as the extra power to get up hills (especially with passengers in the car) is necessary at times.

2 for the Money
By gabagooo1

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

With 4000 mile gone, I must say that the Mazda2 is a great car. You will read that it only has a 100 hp engine. You will read that it is small. Yup, both are true. But the 2 is a blast to drive, is peppy and economical. We are averaging 38 mpg in mixed driving. If I had wanted a packet rocket, I would have bought a Mazdaspeed3. The 2 has tons of personality, storage space and room for driver/passengers. I am 5'11" - 340 pounds and I fit in it fine. Great car. Love it.

Styling. MPG, Suspension.

Center armrest is needed.