Used 2011 Mazda 2 Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 2 model:

Like a big 'ol Go Kart!!
By robtech34

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun, fun,fun! (5 speed manual) I've read some 10.2 second 0-60 numbers on the 5 speed to which I can only say, learn how to drive pal. This car is like driving a comfortable, Go Kart!! Tooling around town is so much fun because 35 MPH feels fast in this car. On the Highway, 80 MPH no problem. Very good build feel inside. Lacks some Bells and whistles, but I have zero use for blue tooth and own a much better GPS than is offered in other competing models.

Just driving the thing is a blast. I find the back seats just fine, even for a 6 foot adult. Now I don't mean for long trips, but they'll fit ok. Drivers seat is excellent, I assume so is the passenger's but I have not sat in that one yet. Easy to use controls, easy to figure out without consulting the manual. Nice Yokohama tires. Great grip, great steering, great breaks, although rear breaks are drum.

Change the Orange-Redish illuminated gauges to a nicer blue or white, ugly!!

Great Second Car
By professor52

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased this vehicle. I was looking for a second car, since I'm retired and I sold my car to my daughter. I did research on all subcompact cars available and drove my top three choices. For the money, Mazda 2 was the least expensive and I have had gas mileages from 35 to 40 mpg which is a combined city/highway useage. I chose the manual because of the size of engine, I could change gears when needed faster than an automatic. I don't regret my decision in a time of our economy and gas prices.

Fun to drive, You can fit two child seats in the back for grandchildren. Great heater/Air conditioner. Manuevers well in traffic and in different weather conditions. Sound system works well with mp3. Base price was the cheapest in my area for a subcompact.

Back seating area could be larger for adults. Cargo area could be larger for storage.

Oh my gosh!
By tsarheld1

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car nearly 2 weeks ago and I love it. Have burned though 2 tanks of gas...had an emergency in the family out of town....but on tank was around town and I got 33.28mpg and the second tank was all highway miles at 37.58 mpg...not bad for less that 500 miles on the car. I was really captured by the looks and took a test drive and then went home and checkout lots of online review...from people not consumer reports ..".which I find useless when it comes to cars". Everyone that owned on raved about handling so I took another test drive and checked out the competition ......and I was convinced this was the car to replace my tired old 2004 Aveo.

The interior workmanship is great and overall fit and finish is supreme. Stereo is nice, and I love 5-speed transmission.

it needs a usb port for my plug in music.

Why can't they sell more of these?
By ksonic

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

In the U.S., the 2 must be one of the great automotive secrets. Since buying mine more than a month ago, I've seen all of one other on the road, and I live in a metro area where subcompacts are common. It's such a great, satisfying car at a low price that it's hard to understand why Mazda dealerships can't seem to give them away. The 2 may seem to be just a cheap economy car for those on budget, but I beg to differ. As a fan of Euro-style small, quick hatches (last car was a Ford SVT Focus), I had to give the 2 a try. It's amazingly fun to drive. It's not fast in a straight line, but it's quick enough. And the features, fuel mileage, and practicality make it a great all-arounder.

Handling, steering, and braking--all very quick and precise, much sharper and sports-car like than similar cars of this type I've driven. The gearbox is wonderful, with light, short throws, and the placement of the shifter only looks odd at first. It feels great, much more like the shift action of a sports or even race car. Styling inside and out is nicely coordinated--simple and purposeful, yet with flair. Surprisingly comfortable and composed ride on most roads. Size and visibility makes it perfect for city driving. Features for the money--even the Sport has almost everything you need. I bought a Honda Accord 12 years ago that was $5K more than the 2 but much more sparsely equipped.

As just about every road tester and owner has said, more horsepower would be nice. Just a 10-15 bump of both horsepower and torque would make a big difference and nudge the 2 close to hot-hatch territory, given its light weight and nimble handling. As many have noted, the clutch action is a little odd and lacks feel for the engagement point. It's just a matter of getting used to it, not a big problem, but it could be better. Road noise can be a little loud, but that's the price of light weight with fewer sound deadening materials. More covered storage would be nice--for example, an arm rest console with storage space inside. It would be nice if the rear seat back folded flat.

Fun Hatch
By Car Guy

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

At first I didn't like the goofy face of this car, but after test driving one yesterday I loved almost everything about the car. The bright green color attracts a lot of attention (yellow cobalt stood out less than this car). Acceleration is adequate for a car of this size and weight. The clutch is very light and will take time getting use to. The steering is sharp and adds to the "go-kart" feel. I would love to see the MazdaSpeed version of this car if/when it comes out. Price is cheaper than the fiesta but, it feels more spacious and with the touring package (I think) you get more bang for your buck. You're only losing out on SYNC and SAT radio. Gas mileage is outstanding.

The front seats are firm and very comfortable, Go-kart like handling, Power outlet with AUX in at the bottom of the center console, BRIGHT colors, given it's such a small car there is a lot of space inside (I'm 6'1" and didn't feel uncomfortable), Fog Lights (touring package) looks more aggressive

Cruise control for all models, arm rest for the driver and front passenger, I don't like the digital fuel gauge (it looks like bars on a cell phone) I would like to see a standard analog dial, more seat color options, and a little more "feeling" in the clutch would be nice.