2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda2 model:
Happy with M2
By rjfinva on 02/10/14 05:17 AM (PST)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Don't know what people expect. If you are looking for a high end expensive sports car, shop on! With the 5 speed, this car has more than enough get up and go, and is a blast to drive. First gear could be a little taller. Seats are frim but nit uncomfortable. It handles like a go cart, and rides like one too, that's the car's design! It holds the road like glue, but picks up all the bumps. I live in Hampton Roads, VA, mostly highway driving, and with premium gas (which I recommend for performance) I average 38 mpg if I drive conservatively. Get a K&N air filter for the performance tweak, it's worth the money and the filter saves $$ in the long run as it is washable.

Automatic transmission is terrible
By grayliner on 07/13/13 00:24 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

The car is great, but NOT with an automatic tranny. I would have bought the stick but my wife can't drive a stick. I miss my Echo, that was the best car I've ever owned. The ride is fine. But getting out into traffic is dangerous. The acceleration is very laggy. There's a delay. Going around corners is sketchy because throttle control is a guessing game. You step on the gas and it's a crapshoot what's going to happen. There's no gradual acceleration, it hits - reminiscent of a 2-stroke dirtbike. The cruise control buttons are my least favorite of all the types I've had. The fuel economy is not what I'd expect from a tiny car. The driver seat is all the way back and I'm 5'8".

Please read if your considering a great affordable car
By tobbeybear on 05/16/13 19:10 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have 2011 Mazda 2 touring with 51k. Just retired my mazda protege with 300k on it. The protege has the 1.5 liter which only has with 90hp. The mazda 2 also has the 1.5liter. Every go see the christmas lights and you can not turn your head lamps off?The 2 doesnt have the day running lamps. Has a self adjusting timing chain and not a timing belt so thats saving you 500 to 600 every 100k that you have to change on most imports.I work at a big dealership and get to drive every make and model and can say with certianty that this mazda is the funnest car out. The 5 speed tranny is smooth. The engine isnt loud. So what it only has 100hp. Thats a upgrade for me from the 90hp I had for many years

I've waited two years
By gwendoline on 03/02/13 13:26 PM (PST)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I drove a 2002 Protege5 for nine years, the longest ever for one car. I enjoyed it. It still looked good, but I was bored, so bought the 2011 Mazda 2 hatchback. Not good, Too light, skips all over the road, trunk and back seat, too small. The economy is awful, but I would like to trade the car before it begins to have trouble. I've only 12K miles, have driven two, less than 1000 mile each round trips. Taking a 800 mile round trip in two weeks. Highway mpg sucks. How can a good, 2002, go to a poor, 2011, like that? Angry

Loved it; hate it now
By mzdaowner16 on 08/10/12 08:06 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2011 Mazda 2 new back in November 2010 and initially wrote a glowing review about fun it is drive. Well, it's fun...when it's not in the shop. Once I hit 15k I've had nothing but problems specially with the brakes. The dealer tells me they are safe and that they squeak because of the brake pad composition but why didn't they squeak for the first year? Squeaks at low and high speeds and is embarrassing. I also has to flush the transmission at 20k because the fluid it comes with is cheap junk. At 22,300 miles I'm trading for a Honda Fit this weekend. No more mazdas for this buyer. Don't buy this car; save your money, take on a bigger payment and get a car with a better warranty.

Disappointed
By fww on 04/30/12 10:50 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was wanting to buy a new car for my wife and we wanted a smaller car than the 96 Maxima and better gas mileage. We looked at Toyota Yaris, Prius C, Honda Fit, Nissan Versa and the Mazda 2, as well as Ford Fiesta and Chevy Sonic. We ended up choosing the Mazda 2 because it and the Fit were the only 2 assembled in Japan. I wanted the Japanese quality. I am very upset with the dealership and not real happy with the car. We've only had it for 5 weeks so maybe things will improve. I knew it was not a "road" car and after 2 hours in it my back was very sore. It does not get anywhere near the gas mileage they suggest and I've always gotten more mileage than the window sticker says I should

Zoom-Zoom, little go-cart
By kertruss on 01/30/12 19:00 PM (PST)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is excellent in every area!! It gets awesome gas mileage and is so much fun to drive. All of the reviews are right! I had been looking for a car for about 5 months and was real tired of it. I was at the volkswagen dealership and my mom saw it. I fell in love and now its the best car I've ever owned. I hope to have it for many years. The interior is very suitable and I love how easy it is to clean and so comfortable!! I would buy it all over again.

Like a big 'ol Go Kart!!
By robtech34 on 11/03/11 12:07 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun, fun,fun! (5 speed manual) I've read some 10.2 second 0-60 numbers on the 5 speed to which I can only say, learn how to drive pal. This car is like driving a comfortable, Go Kart!! Tooling around town is so much fun because 35 MPH feels fast in this car. On the Highway, 80 MPH no problem. Very good build feel inside. Lacks some Bells and whistles, but I have zero use for blue tooth and own a much better GPS than is offered in other competing models.

Just what I needed
By mamom1 on 10/29/11 15:01 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought the 2011 Mazda2 to replace my slowly dying 1999 Nissan Maxima. It is awesome. The savings on gas is unbelievable. I drive mainly around town (work commute is under 4 miles on surface streets) and it handles beautifully. Contrary to the "pro" reviews, I don't find the engine noise loud and the acceleration is fine. This car has everything I had in my Maxima with the exception of cruise control (I wasn't interested in paying extra $ for fog lights, cruise control, and red seat piping on the Touring edition). Oh, and did I mention, my 16 year old thinks it is awesome!

Great Second Car
By professor52 on 10/28/11 11:42 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased this vehicle. I was looking for a second car, since I'm retired and I sold my car to my daughter. I did research on all subcompact cars available and drove my top three choices. For the money, Mazda 2 was the least expensive and I have had gas mileages from 35 to 40 mpg which is a combined city/highway useage. I chose the manual because of the size of engine, I could change gears when needed faster than an automatic. I don't regret my decision in a time of our economy and gas prices.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Mazda Mazda2 Hatchback in VA is:

$113 per month*