Used 2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 2 model:

More than what I expected
By cbrandon

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car a month ago for commuting to work after the old s10 sprung several oil leaks and wow. People complain its slow obviously the don't know how to shift and double clucth. Turning off tcs and putting flat on the floor will get you to 60 in 7-9 seconds depending on how you shift. The fuel economy? Ive put 1000mi on my car and with premium gas and a somewhat conservative foot I average 30-33 mostly highway. The interior is actually fairly comfortable for a economy car I have a magnaflow exhaust and new intake order for the car which cost all off 200$ and it will more than make up for the "lack of get up" everyone complains about. For a used 10,000$ car holy cow its nice. Now I love my drive home

Happy with M2
By rjfinva

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Don't know what people expect. If you are looking for a high end expensive sports car, shop on! With the 5 speed, this car has more than enough get up and go, and is a blast to drive. First gear could be a little taller. Seats are frim but nit uncomfortable. It handles like a go cart, and rides like one too, that's the car's design! It holds the road like glue, but picks up all the bumps. I live in Hampton Roads, VA, mostly highway driving, and with premium gas (which I recommend for performance) I average 38 mpg if I drive conservatively. Get a K&N air filter for the performance tweak, it's worth the money and the filter saves $$ in the long run as it is washable.

Great handling, tranny, mileage.

Taller first gear, maybe a 6 speed tranny manual and auto, more sound insulation (c'mon, Mazda, how much would this cost).

Automatic transmission is terrible
By grayliner

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

The car is great, but NOT with an automatic tranny. I would have bought the stick but my wife can't drive a stick. I miss my Echo, that was the best car I've ever owned.

The ride is fine. But getting out into traffic is dangerous. The acceleration is very laggy. There's a delay. Going around corners is sketchy because throttle control is a guessing game. You step on the gas and it's a crapshoot what's going to happen. There's no gradual acceleration, it hits - reminiscent of a 2-stroke dirtbike.

The cruise control buttons are my least favorite of all the types I've had. The fuel economy is not what I'd expect from a tiny car. The driver seat is all the way back and I'm 5'8".

I like the solid rubbery ride, don't mind the way you feel the road or even the road noise. Good steering and braking. Comfortable seats. Price.

New auto transmission. Better cruise-control controls. Give us 2 keys and don't charge $400 for a second key - rude!

Updated review..
By tobbeybear

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have 2011 Mazda 2 touring with 51k. Just retired my Mazda protege with 300k on it. The protege has the 1.5 liter which only has with 90hp. The Mazda 2 also has the 1.5liter. Every go see the Christmas lights and you can not turn your head lamps off?The 2 doesn't have the day running lamps. Has a self adjusting timing chain and not a timing belt so that is saving you 500 to 600 every 60k that you have to change on most imports.I work at a big dealership and get to drive every make and model and can say with certainty that this Mazda is the funnest car out. The 5 speed tyranny is smooth. The engine isn't loud. So what it only has 100hp. That is a upgrade for me from the 90hp I had for many year

Update..Feb 2016 My Mazda now has 77000 miles and still running great. I need to correct the fuel mileage that I previously wrote on my review. The car is averaging about 35 combined. Can get a little better on the highway if its babied like a Sunday driver. I have no complaints with the car as its a great car all around.

I've waited two years
By gwendoline

2011 Mazda 2 Hatchback Sport 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I drove a 2002 Protege5 for nine years, the longest ever for one car. I enjoyed it. It still looked good, but I was bored, so bought the 2011 Mazda 2 hatchback. Not good, Too light, skips all over the road, trunk and back seat, too small. The economy is awful, but I would like to trade the car before it begins to have trouble. I've only 12K miles, have driven two, less than 1000 mile each round trips. Taking a 800 mile round trip in two weeks. Highway mpg sucks. How can a good, 2002, go to a poor, 2011,
like that? Angry

Cute appearance

Larger back seat and trunk. Better gas mileage