2011 Mazda Mazda2 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda2 model:
Happy with M2
By rjfinva on 02/10/14 05:17 AM (PST)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Don't know what people expect. If you are looking for a high end expensive sports car, shop on! With the 5 speed, this car has more than enough get up and go, and is a blast to drive. First gear could be a little taller. Seats are frim but nit uncomfortable. It handles like a go cart, and rides like one too, that's the car's design! It holds the road like glue, but picks up all the bumps. I live in Hampton Roads, VA, mostly highway driving, and with premium gas (which I recommend for performance) I average 38 mpg if I drive conservatively. Get a K&N air filter for the performance tweak, it's worth the money and the filter saves $$ in the long run as it is washable.

Please read if your considering a great affordable car
By tobbeybear on 05/16/13 19:10 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have 2011 Mazda 2 touring with 51k. Just retired my mazda protege with 300k on it. The protege has the 1.5 liter which only has with 90hp. The mazda 2 also has the 1.5liter. Every go see the christmas lights and you can not turn your head lamps off?The 2 doesnt have the day running lamps. Has a self adjusting timing chain and not a timing belt so thats saving you 500 to 600 every 100k that you have to change on most imports.I work at a big dealership and get to drive every make and model and can say with certianty that this mazda is the funnest car out. The 5 speed tranny is smooth. The engine isnt loud. So what it only has 100hp. Thats a upgrade for me from the 90hp I had for many years

Best handling subcompact hatchback out there
By carboloader on 09/13/11 21:37 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Exactly what I planned on buying. The 2 handles great. It is best on curvy roads. I put a K&N air filter in it and it helped the acceleration. I drive 90% highway driving and I am averaging 40 mpg. That is with 3k miles on it. It is not a perfect car; however, I think that it is the best handling subcompact hatchback sold today. I test drove both auto and manual an the manual is the most fun to drive. I test drove other cars, but this car handles better than the other subcompacts that I drove. This car has the zoom zoom handling Mazda is famous for. At least test drive one before you buy another subcompact. I would buy this car again.

Very Fun to Drive but Needs More Power and Comfort
By weskania on 07/02/11 06:32 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda2 is a lot of fun to drive, it handles well and gets excellent gas mileage. I regularly get over the stated 35 MPG highway, getting around 37 MPG average. Hills can be a bit of a problem, as this car doesn't have a very big engine. I can make it through the mountains fine, but it's necessary to downshift considerably to speed up on hills. The car is comfortable for short trips, but for long trips, can get uncomfortable. There is no lumbar support or center armrest, which can be uncomfortable for longer rides. However, for a small car, it feels big inside and has excellent visibility.

2 for the Money
By gabagooo1 on 06/29/11 12:53 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

With 4000 mile gone, I must say that the Mazda2 is a great car. You will read that it only has a 100 hp engine. You will read that it is small. Yup, both are true. But the 2 is a blast to drive, is peppy and economical. We are averaging 38 mpg in mixed driving. If I had wanted a packet rocket, I would have bought a Mazdaspeed3. The 2 has tons of personality, storage space and room for driver/passengers. I am 5'11" - 340 pounds and I fit in it fine. Great car. Love it.

Excellent Commuter - Fun and Economical
By ljt813 on 04/05/11 10:58 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I commute about 100 miles per day. I was looking for an economical yet fun car. I decided on the Mazda 2 w/5sp based on reviews, and past experience with Mazda products. This car is comfortable, is responsive and economical. My commute is 60% highway, 40% local and I have been averaging 38-40mpg. I can't recommend it enough.

2 Times the Fun, 1/2 The Cost
By armrobc on 03/20/11 10:55 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

After doing a considerable amount of research on a variety of small cars, I settled on a Mazda2 for a variety of reasons. Chiefly, the styling, fuel efficacy and cost; while not truly being great in any one category, the Mazda2 is very good in many. Many of the reviews and comments I read referred to the 2’s small, 100 hp engine and “slow” starts off the line. Frankly, it is a bit slow; however, if I had wanted a spirited performer, I would have bought a VW GTI. With gasoline prices increasing, the need for a reliable and gas efficient vehicle more than eclipsed my need to go from 0 to 60 in five seconds.

Nice B Segment Alternative
By arevee on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I read a lot about this car before the purchase and find the following to be true. The car handles very well, but does have some roll. The steering and brakes are great and the engine has enough pep for me. I had a Yaris prior to this car and find this an all around better vehicle.

2011 Mazda2 ZOOM!
By P. Vestal on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my new 2011 Spirit Green Mazda 2 Touring 5-speed! As a 50+ professional female who was considering the purchase of a Lexus Sedan, I shocked myself by buying the Mazda 2 after I saw one zoom by earlier this month. For me it is somewhat nostalgic as I remember in high school and college driving a hand me down 72 Subaru, a 70 something Ford Fiesta and 79 Mazda 323. I have be a Toyota driver for years: 2 4Runners, 2 Rav4s, and 2 Tundra's. My 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited hasn't moved from the driveway since I purchased the Mazda 2! I love cranking up the stereo even though I mostly listen to classical, driving the The Mazda 2 rocks!

This is a great car!
By Hamilton on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's easy to drive in rush hour DC metro traffic. It's quick, not that it'll beat a high HP car, but fun quick. The shifter is a joy, it took a while to get used to the light gas, brake, and clutch pedals though. MPG on 1st tank was 34, 42 on the 2nd, and 38 on the 3rd. Bought the car in black, which makes it look so much better than that the green like color. Cargo space with the seats up handle about a week worth of groceries. Fold the seats down and Costco here I come! Ride is nice, not too soft, not too hard, it's just right. I don't carry more than one passenger when I drive so passenger room isn't a problem. Fiesta has more feature but the 2 has more fun.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Mazda Mazda2 in VA is:

$148 per month*