2013 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Review: From 7 to 1

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV - Consumer Review

From 7 to 1
By mrpladd on

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Test drove 7 SUVs and all were nice and capable but the CX-9 was the only one that really excited me after the test drive. Pilot, Traverse, and Pathfinder were too cavernous. Explorer had too many bad reviews (here, CR) and I rented one for a weekend and it was falling apart at 1700 miles. Acadia was overpriced. Durango was a really nice ride and came in a very close second but was probably more SUV than I needed (I don't tow). The CX-9 website does not do justice to the looks of this SUV. It is very sharp looking and people have given me nice compliments. Got it last week and drove 2 hours to Boston this weekend. So comfortable. Didn't want the drive to end. Fit kids and luggage no prob

Three rows great for family of 4. CX-9 doesn't look that big on the outside or inside but it's a perfect fit for our family. Wife didn't want a big, clunky truck and this met her needs. Traded in a boring 2008 Camry LE and am loving all the tech stuff - GPS, hands free phone/text, USB, Pandora, etc. I haven't even inserted a CD yet. Love the rear camera - and it's needed too. The Blind Side monitor has already saved me from one mishap. Heated leather seats are dreamy. The telescoping steering wheel is longest I've ever seen. The leg room is so long that all the way back I couldn't reach the pedals (I'm 6' 2"). Snow is expected tonight - we'll see how it does.

Need vents for 3rd row. More head room (I'm 6' 2" and can lower my seat but I like to sit high). The front grill is better than older models but now looks like a gaping, toothless smile. I was surprised the foot well was a little narrow - not as bad as the Explorer but still a little noticeable. Narrow the center console. Improve the gas mileage. Despite these comments, I would still buy the vehicle again if I had to.