Great Car so far
By grassshearking on
2013 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)
I have about 500 miles on my 2013 CX9 AWD Grand Touring SUV. I wanted reliability, a good array of technical options, comfort, quite ride and seven seats. I looked over a variety of options - the GM suite of products (Enclave, Acadia, Traverse), Toyota Highlander, BMW X5 and Acura MDX. I added the CX9 to the list after seeing its consumer rated reliability index was a 92, higher than the Highlander. My decision came down to the Highlander and CX9. Did not trust the GM products, Acura MDX is too expensive, same with the X5. Compared to the Highlander Ltd, the CX9 GT has a better middle seat, better technical options, a better ride, and is a much better value. Paid $37k out the door for min
Favorite Features
I love the BLIS (blind spot) system - it is an awesome safety feature. Not sure I could go without this from now on. The HD Bose stereo is excellent (and easy to use) to listen to and great for streaming music or connecting to the Ipod. It has a center point listening feature for digital music that is wonderful. The voice activated NAV system is easy to use and I actually like the smaller screen. The dash instrument placement is well thought out. The middle seat is spacious, back row is tight but most all are. The car rides well - not sporty but very solid and is quiet. The seats are comfy and easy to adjust. The LED headlamps are great. I like the remote opener for the back gate also.
Suggested Improvements
Automatic folding side mirrors would be great versus manual. Turn signal in the mirrors also would be a nice safety feature. Heated second row seats would be killer as well as heated steering wheel - had that on my last car and loved it. Glad it takes regular unleaded - a big savings over the Highlander. This is a great car and value.
By agaurav
on 02/20/13 06:08 AM (PST)

Did you look at Nissan Pathfinder, Honda Pilot or Hyundai Sante Fe long-wheel base version? You compared to BMW and Acura which are more luxury than Mazda perhaps? Thanks for any views on why chose the Mazda over them.

By mrpladd
on 03/19/13 18:18 PM (PDT)

I test drove the Pathfinder - too loud and transmission gets bad reviews. I test drove the Pilot - not bad if you like driving refrigerator boxes. I test drove the Sante Fe (Sport) - felt very cheap. Then I test drove the CX-9 and it was like "Calgon take me away." Affordable luxury!