Used 2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

My 2nd CX-9
By brantw

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I previously had a 2009 model I put 92,000 miles on and was happy. This new model (2013) not so much. The sheet metal seems thinner as the car easily picks up dings and dents. The front brakes are pulsating and I do not drive the car hard. The transmission constantly downshifts as soon as I tap the brakes and this is irritating. The car sometimes clunks into gear when shifting from park to drive. Finally, the central locking system is not intuitive. I park in the garage and leave the keys in the vehicle. On several occasions the car has mysteriously locked itself. Thankfully I have a spare key in the house. Still a decent car but would not buy again.

Nice firm ride and plenty of room. Classy interior and good stereo.

Reprogram the transmission. Cars today are over computerized and try to think for you and it doesn't work. Beef up the front brake rotors and revise the central locking system. The gas mileage continues to be poor. You would think with today's technology you could get 25 mpg on the highway and something better than low teens in the city. I bought my daughter a used 2009 Nissan Rogue and actually like it better. It averages 10 mpg higher on my daily commute to work.

Excellent 7 seat SUV
By gman_mi

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After a lot of research we decided to get the 2014 CX-9 Touring AWD with the Tech Package to replace our aging minivan. Some of the other vehicles we test drove were the Dodge Durango and Honda Pilot. The CX-9 had the best combination of interior space, looks, features, car-like driving experience and value for money. After a month of driving around we have been really satisfied with the vehicle. The vehicle is easy to drive and park which is unusual considering its large size. The Touring w/tech package offers a lot of near luxury features(Navigation, Moonroof, heated seats, leather, Bose speaker) but still keeps the sticker price reasonable for a large SUV.

Car like driving feel and handling Very clean and simple interior design Sleek look that hides the size of a large SUV

Better Gas Mileage Upgrade the touchscreen

Good but could be much better
By lmabadie

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This car is fun to ride and very comfortable. Fuel consumption a little high. Worst by far are the Navigation System, voice recognition and the electronic interfaces, such as the Sirius radio and Bluetooth. Those do not seem to have even been Beta Tested, such a poor design that makes you wonder about the rest of the car. Sad part is that it it is just poor software, which needs an urgent upgrade.

Rides good, comfortable

Safety Lock for Navigation System does not makes sense (still locks it when there is a passenger) Voice recognition for Navigation System fails most of the time Commands for Navigation System are too basic and not what the user needs No back light for garage openers No back light for dashboard illumination dimmer, Memory seats do not include rear mirrors position No 110V power No 12V power outlets for rear seats No common reset for information display functions Need to unlock doors before opening trunk with remote control No compass!!!! No front bumper park assist sensors Does not display individual tire pressure No hard drive Radio software has plenty of issues MORE....

So glad I test drove this car
By abrandvo

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

My previous car was an '06 BMW 530xi. Needed to go to an SUV to haul grand kids and golf gear. 3 seats were a must, and I wanted a quiet and enjoyable driving experience, up to date technology and now that I am retired, a reasonable price. The Audi was too $$, BMW was too small and $$, Kia and Hyundai looked & felt cheap, Nissan had poor service record and Honda Pilot was ugly. That left the Toyota Highlander LTD and the CX-9. I took long test drives in both cars in various driving and weather conditions and the Mazda CX-9 was a no brainer. Quieter, more responsive, stylish in and out with a cleaner looking dash and instruments. Technology is more advanced and much easier to use.

Love the smart phone integration with speed dial, contact list and the ability to read my incoming texts to me. Voice activated Nav is easy and reliable. Blind spot monitoring and back- up camera increase safety. Ipod integration is good and can be stored in console while in use. easy access to good size third row seats and easy fold up and down for quick conversion to more cargo space. Xenon headlights are really great as my night vision is not the best.

As others have mentioned, heated steering wheel and back seats would be nice for winter months. Other than that I cant think of anything they missed.

Initial review: Great!
By syndic8r

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I shopped around and looked at a number of reviews and test drove a number of vehicles before deciding on the CX-9 Grand Touring Tech to replace my '04 Highlander. Great vehicle for the price. The ride is very nice and although the 20's do make the ride a tad rougher (as reviewers have said), overall the ride is more than acceptable. Vehicle has good power, which is helpful as I live in a hilly area. Gas mileage is right at 18 in a mix of city and highway driving short distances each day Finish is great, quiet, tech package is very good and easy to operate. Very happy with the car.

I really like the seating. This is a seven passenger vehicle which actually holds seven. The third row are actually comfortable and easily accessed from either side. Some of the other cars we looked at in this price range only have the third row access from one side. The other thing that I like is the trim details. There are some nice inserts around the dash and the door handles that give the vehicle a more luxurious feel. I should also say that the vehicle is very quiet, even with the moon roof open at highway speeds, another favorite.

The only thing I would change with this vehicle so far is the keyless ignition. Versus other vehicles push button start, this vehicle has the start switch on the column--as if you would use a key. This switch doubles as the emergency start in case the keyless fails. The fob has a key stored within the fob. Nice, but it feels a little like starting a toy car. This wasn't a big enough deal to keep me from buying the car, but for some buyers it might just be the thing that keeps them away.