Used 2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda Cx-9 - Consumer Reviews

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

So glad I test drove this car
By abrandvo

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

My previous car was an '06 BMW 530xi. Needed to go to an SUV to haul grand kids and golf gear. 3 seats were a must, and I wanted a quiet and enjoyable driving experience, up to date technology and now that I am retired, a reasonable price. The Audi was too $$, BMW was too small and $$, Kia and Hyundai looked & felt cheap, Nissan had poor service record and Honda Pilot was ugly. That left the Toyota Highlander LTD and the CX-9. I took long test drives in both cars in various driving and weather conditions and the Mazda CX-9 was a no brainer. Quieter, more responsive, stylish in and out with a cleaner looking dash and instruments. Technology is more advanced and much easier to use.

Favorite Features

Love the smart phone integration with speed dial, contact list and the ability to read my incoming texts to me. Voice activated Nav is easy and reliable. Blind spot monitoring and back- up camera increase safety. Ipod integration is good and can be stored in console while in use. easy access to good size third row seats and easy fold up and down for quick conversion to more cargo space. Xenon headlights are really great as my night vision is not the best.

Suggested Improvements

As others have mentioned, heated steering wheel and back seats would be nice for winter months. Other than that I cant think of anything they missed.

Initial review: Great!
By syndic8r

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I shopped around and looked at a number of reviews and test drove a number of vehicles before deciding on the CX-9 Grand Touring Tech to replace my '04 Highlander. Great vehicle for the price. The ride is very nice and although the 20's do make the ride a tad rougher (as reviewers have said), overall the ride is more than acceptable. Vehicle has good power, which is helpful as I live in a hilly area. Gas mileage is right at 18 in a mix of city and highway driving short distances each day Finish is great, quiet, tech package is very good and easy to operate. Very happy with the car.

Favorite Features

I really like the seating. This is a seven passenger vehicle which actually holds seven. The third row are actually comfortable and easily accessed from either side. Some of the other cars we looked at in this price range only have the third row access from one side. The other thing that I like is the trim details. There are some nice inserts around the dash and the door handles that give the vehicle a more luxurious feel. I should also say that the vehicle is very quiet, even with the moon roof open at highway speeds, another favorite.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would change with this vehicle so far is the keyless ignition. Versus other vehicles push button start, this vehicle has the start switch on the column--as if you would use a key. This switch doubles as the emergency start in case the keyless fails. The fob has a key stored within the fob. Nice, but it feels a little like starting a toy car. This wasn't a big enough deal to keep me from buying the car, but for some buyers it might just be the thing that keeps them away.

Excellent Vehicle to drive
By jmorana

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

The Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring that I recently bought is awesome. Nice feeling when you drive it, superior technology package, comfort and have 7 seats!!! . Thanks to George Dupuy who took the time to show this excellent vehicle to my wife with all the details. The test drive was a great experience to make the final decision to buy this car.

Favorite Features

Technology package with the smart keyless smart start engine system and navigation features is nice. Very smooth driving. Powerfull engine. Brake system is very safe

Car or brand...
By bb_nj

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Bought spanking new CX9 AWD and was super excited. The drive is nice though the voice interface can be improved. Alas this was short lived and not to mention super frustating. So much so that I have decided to let go of the vehicle at a lose. Why... because Mazda sold me a car for which they do not have spare parts. My car is in workshop for more than a month for simple parts like bumber and grill. They do not even have eta on the back orders. The Customer service is no help and would not even consider a loner car. I am spending from my pocket. Even after the car is fixed I have lost complete faith in the brand. Please do share this critical info with friends.

Go zoom zoom mommy
By cgllane

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just got our new CX-9 in May. We have already put nearly 6000 miles on it, and have loved every mile. My daughter likes to say go zoom zoom mommy, so I do. It is so much fun to drive and comfortable for the whole family on our long road trips. We love it. And the staff at Freeway Mazda in Ogden were all great to deal with.

Favorite Features

We love the Bluetooth capabilities and the rear temperature controls.

Suggested Improvements

None to mention yet, other than I should have had keyless entry installed.