Used 2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda Cx-9 - Consumer Reviews

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Good car minus the navigation
By skgpo3

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for two years now. I got it when I had two kids I now have 3. Overall we have run out of room. My 6'5 husband puts either the driver or passenger seat all the way back causing cramping in the 2nd and third row. It creates constant fights with my kids as they then both adjust their seats trying to get more room. You can't fit 3 car seats across the 2nd row. I can barely do a Costco run with 1/2 a third row up. The navigation is horrific and always freezes leaving me to pull over and enter my destination in my cell. My husband hates my navigation and refuses to use it. When it does work, the directions are not great.

Favorite Features

The ride is great. Fun to drive for sure! Very reliable so far. Haven't had one mechanical issue with it. Will not buy again as we just need more space.

Suggested Improvements

Borrow Nissan's Navigation technology.

Not as good as my 2009 CX 9
By stopresisting

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I came from a 2009 Mazda CX 9 Sport AWD which I absolutely loved. Not a single problem with the 09. I knew that the '13 was almost identical to the previous model year 9's but with more technological safety features. I had to have a rear view back up camera. The Blind Side Monitoring system is wonderful. Although the New Grand Touring (GT) came with 20 inch wheels, I didn't really feel a big difference in ride quality. The wheels are stylish but not chrome. As another reviewer stated, the sheetmetal is not as it was in previous years and easily prone to dings. The newer model's glove box has no locking mechanism and the coin storage drawer is gone.

Favorite Features

Drives and handles like a sports sedan. Plenty of power for all types of driving. Back up camera with sensors. Beautiful leather seats with suede inserts. Power seats with PRESETS. Power liftgate. Bi-Xenon headlights. AWD system never left me stuck in snowy conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission occasionally CLUNKS when shifting from reverse to drive. City fuel economy is terrible. Better sheetmetal. A lock on the glove box would be nice. Cooled seats.

My 2nd CX-9
By brantw

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I previously had a 2009 model I put 92,000 miles on and was happy. This new model (2013) not so much. The sheet metal seems thinner as the car easily picks up dings and dents. The front brakes are pulsating and I do not drive the car hard. The transmission constantly downshifts as soon as I tap the brakes and this is irritating. The car sometimes clunks into gear when shifting from park to drive. Finally, the central locking system is not intuitive. I park in the garage and leave the keys in the vehicle. On several occasions the car has mysteriously locked itself. Thankfully I have a spare key in the house. Still a decent car but would not buy again.

Favorite Features

Nice firm ride and plenty of room. Classy interior and good stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Reprogram the transmission. Cars today are over computerized and try to think for you and it doesn't work. Beef up the front brake rotors and revise the central locking system. The gas mileage continues to be poor. You would think with today's technology you could get 25 mpg on the highway and something better than low teens in the city. I bought my daughter a used 2009 Nissan Rogue and actually like it better. It averages 10 mpg higher on my daily commute to work.

Excellent 7 seat SUV
By gman_mi

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After a lot of research we decided to get the 2014 CX-9 Touring AWD with the Tech Package to replace our aging minivan. Some of the other vehicles we test drove were the Dodge Durango and Honda Pilot. The CX-9 had the best combination of interior space, looks, features, car-like driving experience and value for money. After a month of driving around we have been really satisfied with the vehicle. The vehicle is easy to drive and park which is unusual considering its large size. The Touring w/tech package offers a lot of near luxury features(Navigation, Moonroof, heated seats, leather, Bose speaker) but still keeps the sticker price reasonable for a large SUV.

Favorite Features

Car like driving feel and handling Very clean and simple interior design Sleek look that hides the size of a large SUV

Suggested Improvements

Better Gas Mileage Upgrade the touchscreen

Good but could be much better
By lmabadie

2013 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This car is fun to ride and very comfortable. Fuel consumption a little high. Worst by far are the Navigation System, voice recognition and the electronic interfaces, such as the Sirius radio and Bluetooth. Those do not seem to have even been Beta Tested, such a poor design that makes you wonder about the rest of the car. Sad part is that it it is just poor software, which needs an urgent upgrade.

Favorite Features

Rides good, comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Safety Lock for Navigation System does not makes sense (still locks it when there is a passenger) Voice recognition for Navigation System fails most of the time Commands for Navigation System are too basic and not what the user needs No back light for garage openers No back light for dashboard illumination dimmer, Memory seats do not include rear mirrors position No 110V power No 12V power outlets for rear seats No common reset for information display functions Need to unlock doors before opening trunk with remote control No compass!!!! No front bumper park assist sensors Does not display individual tire pressure No hard drive Radio software has plenty of issues MORE....