Used 2013 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Buy a Pilot or Highlander
By Brant

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to my earlier review. Do not buy this car. Yes it handles and accelerates well and is roomy and fairly fun to drive. Downsides are manifold. Compared to the 2009 CX9 I owned: The 2013 continues with poor gas mileage in a range of 12 mpg to 20 mpg. The sheet metal is thinner hence the car easily picks up dings. The NAV system is useless so I don't use it. The transmission has a mind of its own. It is rough and clunks and bangs when shifting to drive at times. It downshifts randomly when tapping the brakes. The front brake rotors have warped so the brakes pulsate dramatically. One on the key fobs has already died. The central locking system is unintuitive and frustrating. I am generally a Mazda fan but they decided to cheapen this car. There are a lot of good cars on the market today and these named flaws are unacceptable.

I cannot wait for my lease to end
By Michael

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I now had my 2013 CX-9 for 27 months and have logged 14k miles. To date both key fobs do not work (one is used by my wife and one by me on weekends). The navigation freezes at the exact moment you need it. The exterior sheet metal easily bends. Gas mileage is weak (but I knew this going int the lease). Other then the above the car will meet expectations.

Good car minus the navigation
By skgpo3

2013 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for two years now. I got it when I had two kids I now have 3. Overall we have run out of room. My 6'5 husband puts either the driver or passenger seat all the way back causing cramping in the 2nd and third row. It creates constant fights with my kids as they then both adjust their seats trying to get more room. You can't fit 3 car seats across the 2nd row. I can barely do a Costco run with 1/2 a third row up. The navigation is horrific and always freezes leaving me to pull over and enter my destination in my cell. My husband hates my navigation and refuses to use it. When it does work, the directions are not great.

The ride is great. Fun to drive for sure! Very reliable so far. Haven't had one mechanical issue with it. Will not buy again as we just need more space.

Borrow Nissan's Navigation technology.

Not as good as my 2009 CX 9
By stopresisting

2013 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I came from a 2009 Mazda CX 9 Sport AWD which I absolutely loved. Not a single problem with the 09. I knew that the '13 was almost identical to the previous model year 9's but with more technological safety features. I had to have a rear view back up camera. The Blind Side Monitoring system is wonderful. Although the New Grand Touring (GT) came with 20 inch wheels, I didn't really feel a big difference in ride quality. The wheels are stylish but not chrome. As another reviewer stated, the sheetmetal is not as it was in previous years and easily prone to dings. The newer model's glove box has no locking mechanism and the coin storage drawer is gone.

Drives and handles like a sports sedan. Plenty of power for all types of driving. Back up camera with sensors. Beautiful leather seats with suede inserts. Power seats with PRESETS. Power liftgate. Bi-Xenon headlights. AWD system never left me stuck in snowy conditions.

Transmission occasionally CLUNKS when shifting from reverse to drive. City fuel economy is terrible. Better sheetmetal. A lock on the glove box would be nice. Cooled seats.

My 2nd CX-9
By brantw

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I previously had a 2009 model I put 92,000 miles on and was happy. This new model (2013) not so much. The sheet metal seems thinner as the car easily picks up dings and dents. The front brakes are pulsating and I do not drive the car hard. The transmission constantly downshifts as soon as I tap the brakes and this is irritating. The car sometimes clunks into gear when shifting from park to drive. Finally, the central locking system is not intuitive. I park in the garage and leave the keys in the vehicle. On several occasions the car has mysteriously locked itself. Thankfully I have a spare key in the house. Still a decent car but would not buy again.

Nice firm ride and plenty of room. Classy interior and good stereo.

Reprogram the transmission. Cars today are over computerized and try to think for you and it doesn't work. Beef up the front brake rotors and revise the central locking system. The gas mileage continues to be poor. You would think with today's technology you could get 25 mpg on the highway and something better than low teens in the city. I bought my daughter a used 2009 Nissan Rogue and actually like it better. It averages 10 mpg higher on my daily commute to work.