Used 2013 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Disappointing Investment
By Robert

2013 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I leased a 2008 CX9 Grand Touring for two years then purchased it. At first I was pleased with the vehicle then the issues start. At approximately 50,000 miles I lost my brakes, seems it was a power bust unit. I had clients in my car when it happened. I contacted Mazda and was told there was nothing they could or would do about a potential safety issue. In fact the representative bordered on rude. Since I then the bluetooth unit stopped working, I was quoted around $1,300 to repair. For no apparent reason periodically when I turn off the car the a/c fans start. Also when the wipers are set on auto on a dry sunny day the wipers start. Mazda had no answer for these issues My mechanic tells me it sounds like a wheel bearing is wearing - never had that issue with any other car. The key fobs are held together with tape so the keys don't fall out. The majority of these issues started when the car had roughly between 50,000 and 60,000 miles. I did contact Mazda and was told I was on my own. I have owned two Toyotas both went well over 200,000 miles without any real issues except general maintenance and an Acura that I traded in at 200,000 miles (unfortunately on the Mazda). I hold no hope the Mazda will come close to this type of reliability.

Buy a Pilot or Highlander
By Brant

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to my earlier review. Do not buy this car. Yes it handles and accelerates well and is roomy and fairly fun to drive. Downsides are manifold. Compared to the 2009 CX9 I owned: The 2013 continues with poor gas mileage in a range of 12 mpg to 20 mpg. The sheet metal is thinner hence the car easily picks up dings. The NAV system is useless so I don't use it. The transmission has a mind of its own. It is rough and clunks and bangs when shifting to drive at times. It downshifts randomly when tapping the brakes. The front brake rotors have warped so the brakes pulsate dramatically. One on the key fobs has already died. The central locking system is unintuitive and frustrating. I am generally a Mazda fan but they decided to cheapen this car. There are a lot of good cars on the market today and these named flaws are unacceptable.

I cannot wait for my lease to end
By Michael

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I now had my 2013 CX-9 for 27 months and have logged 14k miles. To date both key fobs do not work (one is used by my wife and one by me on weekends). The navigation freezes at the exact moment you need it. The exterior sheet metal easily bends. Gas mileage is weak (but I knew this going int the lease). Other then the above the car will meet expectations.

Good car minus the navigation
By skgpo3

2013 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for two years now. I got it when I had two kids I now have 3. Overall we have run out of room. My 6'5 husband puts either the driver or passenger seat all the way back causing cramping in the 2nd and third row. It creates constant fights with my kids as they then both adjust their seats trying to get more room. You can't fit 3 car seats across the 2nd row. I can barely do a Costco run with 1/2 a third row up. The navigation is horrific and always freezes leaving me to pull over and enter my destination in my cell. My husband hates my navigation and refuses to use it. When it does work, the directions are not great.

The ride is great. Fun to drive for sure! Very reliable so far. Haven't had one mechanical issue with it. Will not buy again as we just need more space.

Borrow Nissan's Navigation technology.

Not as good as my 2009 CX 9
By stopresisting

2013 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I came from a 2009 Mazda CX 9 Sport AWD which I absolutely loved. Not a single problem with the 09. I knew that the '13 was almost identical to the previous model year 9's but with more technological safety features. I had to have a rear view back up camera. The Blind Side Monitoring system is wonderful. Although the New Grand Touring (GT) came with 20 inch wheels, I didn't really feel a big difference in ride quality. The wheels are stylish but not chrome. As another reviewer stated, the sheetmetal is not as it was in previous years and easily prone to dings. The newer model's glove box has no locking mechanism and the coin storage drawer is gone.

Drives and handles like a sports sedan. Plenty of power for all types of driving. Back up camera with sensors. Beautiful leather seats with suede inserts. Power seats with PRESETS. Power liftgate. Bi-Xenon headlights. AWD system never left me stuck in snowy conditions.

Transmission occasionally CLUNKS when shifting from reverse to drive. City fuel economy is terrible. Better sheetmetal. A lock on the glove box would be nice. Cooled seats.

• SUV