Great Driving SUV
By bfyerxa on
2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)
I've been following the CX-9 in publications so I knew its "Zoom-Zoom" reputation. Meanwhile my wife always wanted an Acura MDX (too much $$$ for my blood). Then on vacation last March fate stepped in and we got a free CX-9 upgrade for our rental. Needless to say, 2 weeks with the CX-9 and my wife wanted one bad. Finally, the deals were good enough this fall to pull the trigger. Simply put, this thing drives great for an SUV. It drives no "bigger" than our 09 Accord and in fact has a slightly smaller turning radius. My wife came back from running errands and stated "it is actually calming to drive". We will see how it holds up in the long term (no problems yet).
Favorite Features
Handling. Drives so much sportier and smaller than it should. The center console (for my wife). She is short and has even shorter arms. This is the first center console she has ever had that is high enough for her to rest her arm on. Flexible seating. Allows my wife to soccer mom the kids and their friends around after school, then haul the family and dog on trips.
Suggested Improvements
Gas mileage. Knew it was a pig going in so no surprise. Will be interesting to see if Mazda brings a diesel to North America. Coin holder! The little coin holder to the left below the steering wheel is pathetic. Will fashion up something for my wife in the centre cubby space in front of the shifter. USB port. It is sad Mazda has waited until 2013 to put a USB port in their cars.