First Mazda - Impressed so Far
By jk96 on
2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)
We have 3 children and were looking to downsize from a Ford Excursion to a mid-size SUV. Our requirements were seating for 7, leather interior, and easy access to the third row. We drove every mid-size SUV out there in the under 40k price range and found the CX-9 was our favorite with the new Dodge Durango a very close second. Ease of rear access on the Durango killed it for us. I needed something my 6 year olds could do themselves and the Mazda was a breeze. Doors opened wide, easy slide second row for rear access, and the fact that I could still fit 3 kids in the 2nd row and fold the rear seats for cargo space if needed was a huge plus. Great value lots of options for the money.
Favorite Features
Easy access to the 3rd row. 2nd row seats slide forward easily with the pull of a single lever and doors open wide making access to the rear seats a breeze, even for my 6 year old. 2nd row seats can be adjusted forward or back to make more legroom for the 2nd or 3rd row if needed. Blind spot monitoring is a nice addition.
Suggested Improvements
We've only found a few minor complaints so far. First, I was somewhat disappointed in the upgraded Boss sound system. While its not bad, the Sony Premium Sound in the 2011 Ford Taurus that we traded blew the Boss system in the CX-9 away. Simply no comparison. Second, when folding both the 2nd and 3rd row seats flat, the leather headrests remain exposed and can see where these could easily be damaged when sliding cargo in and out. Third, the ceiling height in the 3rd row is a bit low for anyone 5'11 or taller, however it's not often that we have a car full of adults. Overall we are extremely happy with the car. Capacity of a mid-size SUV and drive and handles like a car half it's size.