Used 2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring SUV Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Brake Booster - Your car won't stop
By Cookie

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Mazda is having an issue with brake boosters in the CX-9. Mine failed today at 52K miles. I couldn't stop the car pulling out of the garage and rolled it into my side yard. I took it into the Mazda dealership, and they know there's an issue. There's a service bulletin, and they replace the brake booster for free. I can't believe they haven't recalled the car - this could cause a serious accident.

There is an issue with the diaphragm in the brake booster failing in hot climates. I live in Ohio. It can get hot here, but give me a "brake" - literally. The dealership cannot tell me if the new brake booster has the same issue. I'm assuming it does since I've read about these failures happening in the CX-9 since this design was released. The car is at the dealership every 5K miles for maintenance - they didn't catch it there either. You'd think they would check since it's a recurring issue.

I'm beyond disappointed Mazda allows the car to be on the road with this type of failure possible. I wouldn't buy this car again.

Mazda cx-9 Grand Touring awd
By Donna G

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I love the vehicle and the mazda line of cars. The problem I am having is that I dont put a lot of miles on the suv and things are happening, things that I never heard of before in my life owning other vehicles, like; the heat shield bolts rusted off and Mazda had to put bolts back in to secure the heat shield $50.00 for 15 minutes. I think it should of been under warranty. I only had 30,000 miles on it. Then Sunday out and about my husband says something is wrong with the braks going to the floor. Today I take to service station and they tell me its the power booster unit. I call mazda and they say its under the extended warranty and it will be towed to the dealership from the garage. I only have 31,000 mile on it now. Then in the newspaper there is a recall on the suspension they can rust and come loose. when they had my car up on a rack they were showing me where my bolts rusted on the heat shield, they was a lot of rusted parts under my car!!! What else is going to go bad on my Mazda cx-9 Grand touring that I like a lot but might have to think about trading it in!!!

CX-9 hits the spot
By tomlovescars

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I've had it for 3 years......almost perfect....I wish you could get the grand touring without the 20" wheels....the ride is a little harsher, but the bigger problem is the constant TPMS light turning on every time you hit a decent bump. Just too finicky and pretty pointless given the vehicle.....I had a sport for a loaner and the 18" wheels ride much better and can't really tell with the handling

the bose sound system may be the best factory sound I have had in a car....the bass is awesome and the overall sound quality is just awesome awesome in a parking lot given its size.

the 20" wheels are somewhat of a disservice to the vehicle pretty crappy on gas mileage

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring Review
By tim218

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Pros: Driving feel, features
Cons: Reliability. interior rattles, gas mileage

The car handles very good for such a big auto.
I find the driving experience to be enjoyable.

The family (6 pax) just returned from a 1600 mile trip.
We used a thule attachment on the roof and found the overall driving experience to be very enjoyable.

Right before our trip, the front differential started to leak and had to be replaced.
The car only had 10,000 miles on it.
A fairly major job that almost derailed our vacation.
Fortunately for us, the dealer had the part in stock.
A little research online revealed this has been a habitual problem for this model.

Driving feel, features, front seat comfort.

Car also has had problems with an annoying rattle in the front console. The dealer has had it twice and has been unable to fix it. I've never had these types of issues with my previous new cars, a Ford and a Honda. While the car is very fun to drive and has loads of features, I would recommend looking elsewhere because of the reliability issues.

Pretty good value & great handling
By abarge527

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought the vehicle after exhaustively comparing it to the Toyota Highlander and Acura MDX.
In the end, we bought the Mazda because (a) the only area the Highlander was better was fuel economy, and (b) the MDX, while a better car in terms of luxury, features, and style, was considerably more expensive and given a feature-by-feature comparison, the Mazda was a much better value.
Overall we are happy with the CX-9 and don't regret the decision.
After having it for 2+ years, we are in a position to offer a long-term review of plusses and minuses which we hope the manufacturer reads and makes use of.

-Comfort is exceptional -LOTS of storage/cargo space when you need it. -The satellite radio system is the best I have seen in any car. Lots of features that you normally do not get in OEM satellite radio systems -The road feel, steering, cornering, and body handling are better and more car-like than many sedans I've owned -Auto lift-gate is a great feature -Blind-spot monitoring works great -Navigation includes traffic monitoring

-The fuel economy is as-advertised. Do not expect any better. There is no reason that the engine could not be made both more powerful and more efficient. Most competitors are much better in this regard -Transfer case died at ~11,000 miles. Covered under warranty, but not instilling confidence for the long term. -Parking sensors are not available at all. A car this large needs them for both front & back despite the backup camera -Voice recognition works horribly -Every single dashboard or steering wheel control beeps when you use it, and this cannot be turned off. It is annoying and not welcome when you have a sleeping child in the rear seat.