Used 2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

CX-9 hits the spot
By tomlovescars

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I've had it for 3 years......almost perfect....I wish you could get the grand touring without the 20" wheels....the ride is a little harsher, but the bigger problem is the constant TPMS light turning on every time you hit a decent bump. Just too finicky and pretty pointless given the vehicle.....I had a sport for a loaner and the 18" wheels ride much better and can't really tell with the handling

the bose sound system may be the best factory sound I have had in a car....the bass is awesome and the overall sound quality is just awesome awesome in a parking lot given its size.

the 20" wheels are somewhat of a disservice to the vehicle pretty crappy on gas mileage

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring Review
By tim218

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Pros: Driving feel, features Cons: Reliability. interior rattles, gas mileage The car handles very good for such a big auto. I find the driving experience to be enjoyable. The family (6 pax) just returned from a 1600 mile trip. We used a thule attachment on the roof and found the overall driving experience to be very enjoyable. Right before our trip, the front differential started to leak and had to be replaced. The car only had 10,000 miles on it. A fairly major job that almost derailed our vacation. Fortunately for us, the dealer had the part in stock. A little research online revealed this has been a habitual problem for this model.

Driving feel, features, front seat comfort.

Car also has had problems with an annoying rattle in the front console. The dealer has had it twice and has been unable to fix it. I've never had these types of issues with my previous new cars, a Ford and a Honda. While the car is very fun to drive and has loads of features, I would recommend looking elsewhere because of the reliability issues.

Pretty good value & great handling
By abarge527

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought the vehicle after exhaustively comparing it to the Toyota Highlander and Acura MDX. In the end, we bought the Mazda because (a) the only area the Highlander was better was fuel economy, and (b) the MDX, while a better car in terms of luxury, features, and style, was considerably more expensive and given a feature-by-feature comparison, the Mazda was a much better value. Overall we are happy with the CX-9 and don't regret the decision. After having it for 2+ years, we are in a position to offer a long-term review of plusses and minuses which we hope the manufacturer reads and makes use of.

-Comfort is exceptional -LOTS of storage/cargo space when you need it. -The satellite radio system is the best I have seen in any car. Lots of features that you normally do not get in OEM satellite radio systems -The road feel, steering, cornering, and body handling are better and more car-like than many sedans I've owned -Auto lift-gate is a great feature -Blind-spot monitoring works great -Navigation includes traffic monitoring

-The fuel economy is as-advertised. Do not expect any better. There is no reason that the engine could not be made both more powerful and more efficient. Most competitors are much better in this regard -Transfer case died at ~11,000 miles. Covered under warranty, but not instilling confidence for the long term. -Parking sensors are not available at all. A car this large needs them for both front & back despite the backup camera -Voice recognition works horribly -Every single dashboard or steering wheel control beeps when you use it, and this cannot be turned off. It is annoying and not welcome when you have a sleeping child in the rear seat.

CX-9
By vts747

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Feels like smaller sporty car. My 12 hour long, 850 mile long road trip last summer wasn't as exhausting as usual, thanks to smaller steering wheel, sporty seats and carlike handling. Steering is sporty and precise. Seats feel carlike and comfortable for a long trip.

Handling, cornering, safety features.

Frequent nasty downshifts to 4th gear when coasting. Sluggish acceleration from stand still unless you are revving the engine to 3000 4000 RPMs. 20 inch tires are somewhat rough, unless you drive on smooth road. Fuel economy is below expectations.

STAY AWAY!
By esso

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I would never buy another Mazda again. After a month the driver seat started making squeaking noise. Try to schedule an appointment with Mazda dealership, the hell freeze sooner than you'll get an appointment. Everyone is rude, unprofessional. I even contacted Mazda Corporate and did not get anywhere. As of this time I am planning to sell the car and buy something American. Horrible car company, horrible customer support. What good is their warranty, when you cannot get any help. The only thing what you get from Mazda is a LEMON. I have tied a bag of lemons to my car and I am driving around our town like that, to let everyone know not to buy one.

None!