Used 2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Lotta car for the money!
By Jim Hobbs

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I tow a small trailer with the CX-9. It does a great job!

Brake Booster - Your car won't stop
By Cookie

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Mazda is having an issue with brake boosters in the CX-9. Mine failed today at 52K miles. I couldn't stop the car pulling out of the garage and rolled it into my side yard. I took it into the Mazda dealership, and they know there's an issue. There's a service bulletin, and they replace the brake booster for free. I can't believe they haven't recalled the car - this could cause a serious accident.

There is an issue with the diaphragm in the brake booster failing in hot climates. I live in Ohio. It can get hot here, but give me a "brake" - literally. The dealership cannot tell me if the new brake booster has the same issue. I'm assuming it does since I've read about these failures happening in the CX-9 since this design was released. The car is at the dealership every 5K miles for maintenance - they didn't catch it there either. You'd think they would check since it's a recurring issue.

I'm beyond disappointed Mazda allows the car to be on the road with this type of failure possible. I wouldn't buy this car again.

Mazda cx-9 Grand Touring awd
By Donna G

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I love the vehicle and the mazda line of cars. The problem I am having is that I dont put a lot of miles on the suv and things are happening, things that I never heard of before in my life owning other vehicles, like; the heat shield bolts rusted off and Mazda had to put bolts back in to secure the heat shield $50.00 for 15 minutes. I think it should of been under warranty. I only had 30,000 miles on it. Then Sunday out and about my husband says something is wrong with the braks going to the floor. Today I take to service station and they tell me its the power booster unit. I call mazda and they say its under the extended warranty and it will be towed to the dealership from the garage. I only have 31,000 mile on it now. Then in the newspaper there is a recall on the suspension they can rust and come loose. when they had my car up on a rack they were showing me where my bolts rusted on the heat shield, they was a lot of rusted parts under my car!!! What else is going to go bad on my Mazda cx-9 Grand touring that I like a lot but might have to think about trading it in!!!

CX-9 hits the spot
By tomlovescars

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I've had it for 3 years......almost perfect....I wish you could get the grand touring without the 20" wheels....the ride is a little harsher, but the bigger problem is the constant TPMS light turning on every time you hit a decent bump. Just too finicky and pretty pointless given the vehicle.....I had a sport for a loaner and the 18" wheels ride much better and can't really tell with the handling

the bose sound system may be the best factory sound I have had in a car....the bass is awesome and the overall sound quality is just awesome awesome in a parking lot given its size.

the 20" wheels are somewhat of a disservice to the vehicle pretty crappy on gas mileage

Average at best
By kph1983

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just sold 2012 CX9 after three years (35,000 miles). Decent SUV for price.
Pros: Appearance, good performance/handling, interior space. The CX9 looks sporty and handles/accelerates well for a large vehicle. Large interior space with decent room in the third row.
Cons: Gas mileage, ride comfort, cabin noise, The CX9 does not get anywhere near the advertised gas mileage. 18.5 combined driving and 21.5 on strictly highway trips. Not a very comfortable ride if you are in the car for longer than 1 hour. Suspension felt stiffer than other large SUVs and could feel all bumps on road. Car had small annoying rattles on both interior/exterior.