Used 2012 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda CX-9 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:
CX-9 hits the spot
By tomlovescars on 03/27/15 11:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I've had it for 3 years......almost perfect....I wish you could get the grand touring without the 20" wheels....the ride is a little harsher, but the bigger problem is the constant TPMS light turning on every time you hit a decent bump. Just too finicky and pretty pointless given the vehicle.....I had a sport for a loaner and the 18" wheels ride much better and can't really tell with the handling

Average at best
By kph1983 on 02/17/15 13:24 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just sold 2012 CX9 after three years (35,000 miles). Decent SUV for price. Pros: Appearance, good performance/handling, interior space. The CX9 looks sporty and handles/accelerates well for a large vehicle. Large interior space with decent room in the third row. Cons: Gas mileage, ride comfort, cabin noise, The CX9 does not get anywhere near the advertised gas mileage. 18.5 combined driving and 21.5 on strictly highway trips. Not a very comfortable ride if you are in the car for longer than 1 hour. Suspension felt stiffer than other large SUVs and could feel all bumps on road. Car had small annoying rattles on both interior/exterior.

Fun to drive, but not so reliable
By wv_mazda on 03/19/14 14:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have a 2012 CX 9 and have enjoyed it until it was slightly out of warranty. The car has a strong motor and for a third-row vehicle is pretty fun to drive. It also performs well in the snow. The brake booster failed last week at 42,000 miles, nearly causing a traffic accident for my wife. This is a recurrent problem with the 2010-2011 CX 9. My guess is you will have problems with 2013-14 models as they hit 30-50k mileage, since the brake system is unchanged. It is unfortunate Mazda chooses not to address safety concerns in a family vehicle. I would look at the Hyundai Santa Fe in this class.

Love Love Love it!
By nicclements on 01/23/14 08:40 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car new in 2012. I waited this long to review to make sure I just wasn't being reactive. This car has it all. As a 'soccer' mom, I'm constantly picking up and dropping of kids, swapping car seats, and running errand. The sliding 2nd row makes it easy getting car seats in and out, and fitting even adults in the 3rd row. The power liftgate is handy. There's plenty of room for fitting our 60lb dog and all our bags back there (though I would recommend buying a liner). This week was the first time really testing it on snow and it did great. Not only is it quick, agile, and fun to drive...It's just plain makes life easy. I recommend this car to everyone!

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring Review
By tim218 on 08/12/13 18:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Pros: Driving feel, features Cons: Reliability. interior rattles, gas mileage The car handles very good for such a big auto. I find the driving experience to be enjoyable. The family (6 pax) just returned from a 1600 mile trip. We used a thule attachment on the roof and found the overall driving experience to be very enjoyable. Right before our trip, the front differential started to leak and had to be replaced. The car only had 10,000 miles on it. A fairly major job that almost derailed our vacation. Fortunately for us, the dealer had the part in stock. A little research online revealed this has been a habitual problem for this model.

Pretty good value & great handling
By abarge527 on 02/16/13 07:40 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought the vehicle after exhaustively comparing it to the Toyota Highlander and Acura MDX. In the end, we bought the Mazda because (a) the only area the Highlander was better was fuel economy, and (b) the MDX, while a better car in terms of luxury, features, and style, was considerably more expensive and given a feature-by-feature comparison, the Mazda was a much better value. Overall we are happy with the CX-9 and don't regret the decision. After having it for 2+ years, we are in a position to offer a long-term review of plusses and minuses which we hope the manufacturer reads and makes use of.

Very pleased with my cx-9
By carfanonedmnds on 02/03/13 16:18 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have owned our cx-9 for 9 months. I just hit 8500 miles.we have taken it on one 12 hour each way road trip and have been very impressed. The seats did great on the road trip, for adults & kiddos. I love the handling of the vehicle, feels like driving a car. I get compliments on how nice the interior looks and I have the sport model. Visibility is great. Only complaint is very rarely the sun hits just right on the chrome where the gear shift is and reflects off making it a Little hard to see, but again this has been rare. I love having the blue tooth & like that mazda stocked this vehicle pretty well for an entry level model. Mine has added power seats,heated seats/mirror.

Great car for the money
By cbwb on 01/29/13 10:21 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We've owned this car for 13 months and have put 30,000 miles on it with no mechanical problems or breakdowns. We bought this car because it was larger, better equipped, and lower in price than a Ford Edge. Great performance, comfortable, decent MPG. The only annoying thing is the keyless entry/ignition system. The remotes occasionally will not work. The local dealer replaced the remote batteries one time, but says there is no problem. Still have the problem every couple weeks. Love the car, but the dealer service department is condescending and blows off any mentions of a problem. Don't know if that is a Mazda thing or just this dealer.

CX-9 AWD rocks the rockies
By hoodoo on 01/15/13 11:27 AM (PST)

2012 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Been driving this car for 2 months now. Has done many things well; like carry 6 adults, grocery shopping, drive on snow/ice, skiing, highway, city, big mountains. First Mazda we have owned and it is so nice to drive and handles well in the mtns, where we live. Great as family wagon AWD, commuter, weekender, SUV replacement, power driver seat, steering wheel adjustments, good view out the windows, big outside mirrors (heated as well), power outlets, storage in far rear compartment, kids really like the car overall, build quality seems very solid.

Great Driving SUV
By bfyerxa on 12/29/12 18:21 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I've been following the CX-9 in publications so I knew its "Zoom-Zoom" reputation. Meanwhile my wife always wanted an Acura MDX (too much $$$ for my blood). Then on vacation last March fate stepped in and we got a free CX-9 upgrade for our rental. Needless to say, 2 weeks with the CX-9 and my wife wanted one bad. Finally, the deals were good enough this fall to pull the trigger. Simply put, this thing drives great for an SUV. It drives no "bigger" than our 09 Accord and in fact has a slightly smaller turning radius. My wife came back from running errands and stated "it is actually calming to drive". We will see how it holds up in the long term (no problems yet).