Used 2012 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda CX-9 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

CX-9 hits the spot
By tomlovescars

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I've had it for 3 years......almost perfect....I wish you could get the grand touring without the 20" wheels....the ride is a little harsher, but the bigger problem is the constant TPMS light turning on every time you hit a decent bump. Just too finicky and pretty pointless given the vehicle.....I had a sport for a loaner and the 18" wheels ride much better and can't really tell with the handling

the bose sound system may be the best factory sound I have had in a car....the bass is awesome and the overall sound quality is just awesome awesome in a parking lot given its size.

the 20" wheels are somewhat of a disservice to the vehicle pretty crappy on gas mileage

Average at best
By kph1983

2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just sold 2012 CX9 after three years (35,000 miles). Decent SUV for price. Pros: Appearance, good performance/handling, interior space. The CX9 looks sporty and handles/accelerates well for a large vehicle. Large interior space with decent room in the third row. Cons: Gas mileage, ride comfort, cabin noise, The CX9 does not get anywhere near the advertised gas mileage. 18.5 combined driving and 21.5 on strictly highway trips. Not a very comfortable ride if you are in the car for longer than 1 hour. Suspension felt stiffer than other large SUVs and could feel all bumps on road. Car had small annoying rattles on both interior/exterior.

Fun to drive, but not so reliable
By wv_mazda

2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have a 2012 CX 9 and have enjoyed it until it was slightly out of warranty. The car has a strong motor and for a third-row vehicle is pretty fun to drive. It also performs well in the snow. The brake booster failed last week at 42,000 miles, nearly causing a traffic accident for my wife. This is a recurrent problem with the 2010-2011 CX 9. My guess is you will have problems with 2013-14 models as they hit 30-50k mileage, since the brake system is unchanged. It is unfortunate Mazda chooses not to address safety concerns in a family vehicle. I would look at the Hyundai Santa Fe in this class.

Driveability

Fix the brake failures from 2010 forward. Also offer a factory fix for existing vehicles.

Love Love Love it!
By nicclements

2012 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car new in 2012. I waited this long to review to make sure I just wasn't being reactive. This car has it all. As a 'soccer' mom, I'm constantly picking up and dropping of kids, swapping car seats, and running errand. The sliding 2nd row makes it easy getting car seats in and out, and fitting even adults in the 3rd row. The power liftgate is handy. There's plenty of room for fitting our 60lb dog and all our bags back there (though I would recommend buying a liner). This week was the first time really testing it on snow and it did great. Not only is it quick, agile, and fun to drive...It's just plain makes life easy. I recommend this car to everyone!

sliding row, power liftgate, keyless, ability to leave it running and take the fob inside, heated seats, rear climate controls/power plug

stereo menu is cumbersome,

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring Review
By tim218

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Pros: Driving feel, features Cons: Reliability. interior rattles, gas mileage The car handles very good for such a big auto. I find the driving experience to be enjoyable. The family (6 pax) just returned from a 1600 mile trip. We used a thule attachment on the roof and found the overall driving experience to be very enjoyable. Right before our trip, the front differential started to leak and had to be replaced. The car only had 10,000 miles on it. A fairly major job that almost derailed our vacation. Fortunately for us, the dealer had the part in stock. A little research online revealed this has been a habitual problem for this model.

Driving feel, features, front seat comfort.

Car also has had problems with an annoying rattle in the front console. The dealer has had it twice and has been unable to fix it. I've never had these types of issues with my previous new cars, a Ford and a Honda. While the car is very fun to drive and has loads of features, I would recommend looking elsewhere because of the reliability issues.