Used 2012 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda CX-9

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Sporty and Large interior
By Steven McLeod

2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our 2012 CX9 used a year ago. It is nible and decent in the snow. It gets about 18 mpg around town and 22 mpg on the highway. We have not had any reliability issues. One thing though, it seems to burn synthetic motor oil, it may have been too thin. When I changed the oil using conventional 5w20 it fixed the problem. IT is room and nice for car pooling or sticking appliances in the rear. All in all very happy with car.

Mrs. J
By YOLANDA JACKSON

2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Lotta car for the money!
By Jim Hobbs

2012 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I tow a small trailer with the CX-9. It does a great job!

Brake Booster - Your car won't stop
By Cookie

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Mazda is having an issue with brake boosters in the CX-9. Mine failed today at 52K miles. I couldn't stop the car pulling out of the garage and rolled it into my side yard. I took it into the Mazda dealership, and they know there's an issue. There's a service bulletin, and they replace the brake booster for free. I can't believe they haven't recalled the car - this could cause a serious accident.

There is an issue with the diaphragm in the brake booster failing in hot climates. I live in Ohio. It can get hot here, but give me a "brake" - literally. The dealership cannot tell me if the new brake booster has the same issue. I'm assuming it does since I've read about these failures happening in the CX-9 since this design was released. The car is at the dealership every 5K miles for maintenance - they didn't catch it there either. You'd think they would check since it's a recurring issue.

I'm beyond disappointed Mazda allows the car to be on the road with this type of failure possible. I wouldn't buy this car again.

Mazda cx-9 Grand Touring awd
By Donna G

2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I love the vehicle and the mazda line of cars. The problem I am having is that I dont put a lot of miles on the suv and things are happening, things that I never heard of before in my life owning other vehicles, like; the heat shield bolts rusted off and Mazda had to put bolts back in to secure the heat shield $50.00 for 15 minutes. I think it should of been under warranty. I only had 30,000 miles on it. Then Sunday out and about my husband says something is wrong with the braks going to the floor. Today I take to service station and they tell me its the power booster unit. I call mazda and they say its under the extended warranty and it will be towed to the dealership from the garage. I only have 31,000 mile on it now. Then in the newspaper there is a recall on the suspension they can rust and come loose. when they had my car up on a rack they were showing me where my bolts rusted on the heat shield, they was a lot of rusted parts under my car!!! What else is going to go bad on my Mazda cx-9 Grand touring that I like a lot but might have to think about trading it in!!!