Nice, but....
By tracknut on
2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)
Had since new, 28k miles now. I tested everything at the time, traded an 08 Pathfinder. First impression was good; comfy, good power, nice interior. I almost passed for two reasons that now have me shopping again; FWD, and steering position. I prefer RWD or AWD but wanted best fuel econ. Although torque steer is not an issue, it IS a heavy steering feel and quick acceleration out of a tight/emergency spot just spins the wheels.#2, I just can't get comfortable with steering position. The wheel is slanted too far forward, making the reach at 10/2 a stretch (I'm 5'8"). Not enough adj to make it right for me. No lighted window/door lock swtchs, boomy sound and no flat cargo area are other gripes
Favorite Features
Sporty, (almost) car like feel, Bluetooth, nice interior, cargo room, ok mileage, reliability. It IS a nice ride, don'tt get me wrong... Just that the things I DON'T like are enough to make me look around.
Suggested Improvements
More adjustable steering controls, lighted door switches, fold flat rear seats (with no spaces in the floor, makes loading/sliding gear a nightmare), tiptronic that goes the way the rest of the industry does (up is UPSHIFT), memory to include mirrors. GT could be a bit 'meaner' looking. Nav system is lacking, Sound system is REALLY bass heavy with minimum sound adj. controls, and sharing Bluetooth with others that drive the car can be time consuming to switch (if both phones are findable). It's a nice CrsOver, but thinking to take a look at the new Durango... RWD, Flat cargo, a bit more aggressive looking and can tow. Better Mileage! 17.8 is best I've gotten with the CX-9.