Best 7 Passenger SUV I could find
By tonar18 on
2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)
After an exhaustive search we finally decided on the CX-9 GT AWD. We looked at EVERYTHING. From Kia to Audi and everything in-between. High on the list was the BMW X5 and the Audi Q7 TDI. The Q7 was the best SUV we tested, and if money wasn't an issue that's what we would have bought. However, after driving the Mazda and seeing all the standard equipment you get for under 40K I couldn't believe it. I thought we would have to give something up in either luxury items, interior material, or ride quality, but we didn't. I really feel like we got it all in this vehicle and saved 30K over the Audi. Hats off to Mazda for making such an affordable, enjoyable vehicle to drive.
Favorite Features
Styling, Suspension (The ride IMO is perfect. 20's don't make the ride too firm. FYI I live in AR and the paved roads are not bumby like they are up north so the firmer setup works well for us) Keyless entry is great Blind Spot Monitoring System is helpful Auto Windshield Wipers. Replay feature on the Sirius Radio (can re-wind live radio up to 45 min if you stay on the same station) Seats are very comfortable. 9hr trip and no fatigue. 87 Oct fuel. Since the second row sildes forward you can actually put adults in the 3rd row. I'm 6'-2'' and I could ride in the back in a pinch if I had to. Traded an 06 Acura MDX on this and feel like we have the same level luxury we had in the Acura.
Suggested Improvements
I love the CX-9 but it's not without a few minor blemishes. Bose stereo is a bit underwhelming. Nav system needs to be updated to a hard drive system. The graphics are a bit outdated, but it gets you where you need to go. Window and Lock buttons do not illuminate at night. Could use a little more storage. Not may places to put "stuff". (Helps avoid the clutter though) I'm not complaining about the MPG's. I know I bought a seven passenger SUV. It's not going to do great. But the one thing I loved about the Q7 is you could have the size, towing capacity, and power and still get close to 30 MPG on the hwy with the TDI. If Mazda can work that into the next gen CX-9 I'll be right back.