Used 2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Best 7 Passenger SUV I could find
By tonar18

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After an exhaustive search we finally decided on the CX-9 GT AWD. We looked at EVERYTHING. From Kia to Audi and everything in-between. High on the list was the BMW X5 and the Audi Q7 TDI. The Q7 was the best SUV we tested, and if money wasn't an issue that's what we would have bought. However, after driving the Mazda and seeing all the standard equipment you get for under 40K I couldn't believe it. I thought we would have to give something up in either luxury items, interior material, or ride quality, but we didn't. I really feel like we got it all in this vehicle and saved 30K over the Audi. Hats off to Mazda for making such an affordable, enjoyable vehicle to drive.

Favorite Features

Styling, Suspension (The ride IMO is perfect. 20's don't make the ride too firm. FYI I live in AR and the paved roads are not bumby like they are up north so the firmer setup works well for us) Keyless entry is great Blind Spot Monitoring System is helpful Auto Windshield Wipers. Replay feature on the Sirius Radio (can re-wind live radio up to 45 min if you stay on the same station) Seats are very comfortable. 9hr trip and no fatigue. 87 Oct fuel. Since the second row sildes forward you can actually put adults in the 3rd row. I'm 6'-2'' and I could ride in the back in a pinch if I had to. Traded an 06 Acura MDX on this and feel like we have the same level luxury we had in the Acura.

Suggested Improvements

I love the CX-9 but it's not without a few minor blemishes. Bose stereo is a bit underwhelming. Nav system needs to be updated to a hard drive system. The graphics are a bit outdated, but it gets you where you need to go. Window and Lock buttons do not illuminate at night. Could use a little more storage. Not may places to put "stuff". (Helps avoid the clutter though) I'm not complaining about the MPG's. I know I bought a seven passenger SUV. It's not going to do great. But the one thing I loved about the Q7 is you could have the size, towing capacity, and power and still get close to 30 MPG on the hwy with the TDI. If Mazda can work that into the next gen CX-9 I'll be right back.

Complaints
By krayj

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

A few items are rather [violative content deleted]: 1. The power rear lift gate does not operate by squeezing handle. It is only power open by using the remote or the switch inside the car. 2. The memory seats do not include side mirrors. 3. You can not enter a single contact in the bluetooth phone book. 4. There are no audible sensors with the backup camera. 5. Freeway speed limits are not shown on GPS Seems to me a so called "Grand Touring" car should include these items.

Favorite Features

Blind spot monitoring, handling

Suggested Improvements

See Review above plus more storage areas , improve highway noise

Better 2nd Time Around
By tabjaxx

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Went from leased 2009 CX-9 Touring to 2011 CX-9 Touring and am pleased with the improvements Mazda has made. Biggest difference is the suspension; still sporty, but smoother over the bumps. More than enough power under the hood, but overall fuel economy of 19 mpg not the best. Speed-sensing door locks and rear camera are nice additions. Multi-Information Display is nice to look at, but not very functional; touch screen capabilities would be nice. All the orange lights on the dash display aren't very attractive. Upgraded Bose stereo definately better than the average, especially in the bass range. Could use more leg room on the driver's side. Best bang for the buck for SUV's in class.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine. Nice-looking exterior. Speed-sensing door locks and rear-view camera, although resolution of camera not as good as some of the competition. Advanced Keyless entry and start feature is awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Create more leg room on driver's side. Improve functionality and features of Multi-Information Display. Improve gas mileage. Include compass.

Love My CX-9
By pure_hp

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We test drove on the same day the following vehicles: Ford Explorer, Toyota Highlander, Hyundai Veracruz, and the CX-9. For the price, content and fun to drive factor, we couldn't go wrong with the CX-9. It's quick, agile, spacious and well built. Aside from poor fuel economy (still waiting to see if 17city/24hwy for FWD is really true), we have no complaints.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, keyless entry/ignition.

Suggested Improvements

Daytime running lights as an option and gas mileage. Auto dimming rearview mirror should be standard across the board.

Very pleased with the CX-9
By wbedggr

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our 2011 CX-9 about a month ago and are very pleased with the car. We traded out of a 2006 Honda Odyssey, after looking at the new Odyssey and not wanting more of the same (although it was a great vehicle). But we weren't ready to give up the thirdrow seat just quite yet, either. We wanted something a little more interesting to drive, as well. So, as advertised, the CX-9 is a treat to drive for a large crossover and the interior has a solid and upscale feel. Lots of room in the second row seat for the kids.

Favorite Features

- Fun to drive - Interior is solid and upscale - keyless ignition - liftgate and back-up camera

Suggested Improvements

- Not as many family friendly compartment as some other competitors. - Front passenger seat needs another inch or two in the knee, glove box area, and floor. - Improve MPG -- it's about the same as other crossovers in its class but still a shock coming from a minivan. It seems to be getting better as it gets broken in and we get better at driving it. On a week trip (a lot of highway driving), over 2,500 miles in August, we averaged about 22.5 mpg. It was great on the rode.