Used 2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Transfer case go BOOM!!!
By sleepyspeed3

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

My wife took her our cx9 on a road trip with our 2 girls.
On the way home she heard a clunk trying to back up.
Then at low speeds she heard a grinding noise, pulled over and had it towed to a dealership.
They said it had mice nesting near the bell housing.
Today I was suppose to go get it back and the mechanic called and said he tried to back it up and CLUNK.
Cracked transfer case.
It will be another 2 - 3 weeks before its fixed. It looks like many other owners have had this problem. Ours only had 17k miles on it.
Mazda should recall their cx9.

v6 273 hp, Bose audio, backup camera.

Transfer case needs to be recalled!!!

Very Good Vehicle!
By freedvr1

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my CX-9 for 2 years and 36,000 trouble free miles. I have two small children and my wife and the kids have made several 1,000 mile road trips. Very comfortable and stable on the road. I also have a 550i BMW, and this car definitley is as much fun to drive. Relatively speaking. Best value out there!

Third row seat.

Best value in a 7 seater!
By wartoni

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I did a HUGE amount of driving and trying of many cars (Acura MDX, Audi Q7, Merc GL450, Hyundai veracruz) and found this to me the best mix of style and value.

Not wanting to drive a outwardly expensive car and still wanting sport we picked this. I love it more now than when I test drove it.

Great car for a good price.

We have the navigation and I like it though some do not I guess. I like the voice commands, rain sensing wipers, Bling Spot protection, auto Xenon lights etc... The rear seats are huge and the 3rd row has easy access and room. The rear seats also slide forward so all 3 row have good legroom when occupied.

None really...maybe gas mileage and no panoramic roof like the VW and Audis have...

CX-9 a Mixed Bag
By jetascs

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our CX-9 GT AWD now for six months and the best description I can give is a “mixed bag”.
There is a lot of extras for the $ but..
After 6 months I’m wishing we would have spent a little more and made another choice.
Issues include; poor mileage – I have a ’06 V-8 Yukon XL 4X4 that gets better mileage both in town and HWY.
Poor Navigation.
There is a lot of noise inside – wind noise, road noise, gas sloshing around in the fuel tank and after six months many new squeaks and rattles surfacing.
The Bose sound is nice but too much noise to really enjoy it.

Interior quality looks great but not quite refined yet. Interior leather looks great and appears to be holding up well.

Remote start, reverse camera

Provide more sound proofing/insulation. Go with another vendor for the Nav system. Tweak exterior design to cut down on wind noise.

Best 7 Passenger SUV I could find
By tonar18

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After an exhaustive search we finally decided on the CX-9 GT AWD.
We looked at EVERYTHING.
From Kia to Audi and everything in-between. High on the list was the BMW X5 and the Audi Q7 TDI.
The Q7 was the best SUV we tested, and if money wasn't an issue that's what we would have bought.
However, after driving the Mazda and seeing all the standard equipment you get for under 40K I couldn't believe it.
I thought we would have to give something up in either luxury items, interior material, or ride quality, but we didn't.
I really feel like we got it all in this vehicle and saved 30K over the Audi.

Hats off to Mazda for making such an affordable, enjoyable vehicle to drive.

Styling, Suspension (The ride IMO is perfect. 20's don't make the ride too firm. FYI I live in AR and the paved roads are not bumby like they are up north so the firmer setup works well for us) Keyless entry is great Blind Spot Monitoring System is helpful Auto Windshield Wipers. Replay feature on the Sirius Radio (can re-wind live radio up to 45 min if you stay on the same station) Seats are very comfortable. 9hr trip and no fatigue. 87 Oct fuel. Since the second row sildes forward you can actually put adults in the 3rd row. I'm 6'-2'' and I could ride in the back in a pinch if I had to. Traded an 06 Acura MDX on this and feel like we have the same level luxury we had in the Acura.

I love the CX-9 but it's not without a few minor blemishes. Bose stereo is a bit underwhelming. Nav system needs to be updated to a hard drive system. The graphics are a bit outdated, but it gets you where you need to go. Window and Lock buttons do not illuminate at night. Could use a little more storage. Not may places to put "stuff". (Helps avoid the clutter though) I'm not complaining about the MPG's. I know I bought a seven passenger SUV. It's not going to do great. But the one thing I loved about the Q7 is you could have the size, towing capacity, and power and still get close to 30 MPG on the hwy with the TDI. If Mazda can work that into the next gen CX-9 I'll be right back.