Used 2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring SUV Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Fantastic Automobile, Kick A Bose, Awesome SUV
By RJH

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is with out a doubt the best car I've ever owned in 45 Years. 2011, Just breaking in at 70K Miles. Like new.
I'm hangin on to this one. I give it a 10- Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring, loaded.

Nice, but....
By tracknut

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Had since new, 28k miles now. I tested everything at the time, traded an 08 Pathfinder. First impression was good; comfy, good power, nice interior. I almost passed for two reasons that now have me shopping again; FWD, and steering position. I prefer RWD or AWD but wanted best fuel econ. Although torque steer is not an issue, it IS a heavy steering feel and quick acceleration out of a tight/emergency spot just spins the wheels.#2, I just can't get comfortable with steering position. The wheel is slanted too far forward, making the reach at 10/2 a stretch (I'm 5'8"). Not enough adj to make it right for me. No lighted window/door lock swtchs, boomy sound and no flat cargo area are other gripes

Sporty, (almost) car like feel, Bluetooth, nice interior, cargo room, ok mileage, reliability. It IS a nice ride, don'tt get me wrong... Just that the things I DON'T like are enough to make me look around.

More adjustable steering controls, lighted door switches, fold flat rear seats (with no spaces in the floor, makes loading/sliding gear a nightmare), tiptronic that goes the way the rest of the industry does (up is UPSHIFT), memory to include mirrors. GT could be a bit 'meaner' looking. Nav system is lacking, Sound system is REALLY bass heavy with minimum sound adj. controls, and sharing Bluetooth with others that drive the car can be time consuming to switch (if both phones are findable). It's a nice CrsOver, but thinking to take a look at the new Durango... RWD, Flat cargo, a bit more aggressive looking and can tow. Better Mileage! 17.8 is best I've gotten with the CX-9.

Very Good Vehicle!
By freedvr1

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my CX-9 for 2 years and 36,000 trouble free miles. I have two small children and my wife and the kids have made several 1,000 mile road trips. Very comfortable and stable on the road. I also have a 550i BMW, and this car definitley is as much fun to drive. Relatively speaking. Best value out there!

Third row seat.

Best value in a 7 seater!
By wartoni

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I did a HUGE amount of driving and trying of many cars (Acura MDX, Audi Q7, Merc GL450, Hyundai veracruz) and found this to me the best mix of style and value.

Not wanting to drive a outwardly expensive car and still wanting sport we picked this. I love it more now than when I test drove it.

Great car for a good price.

We have the navigation and I like it though some do not I guess. I like the voice commands, rain sensing wipers, Bling Spot protection, auto Xenon lights etc... The rear seats are huge and the 3rd row has easy access and room. The rear seats also slide forward so all 3 row have good legroom when occupied.

None really...maybe gas mileage and no panoramic roof like the VW and Audis have...

Great Car, avoid the GPS
By charles83

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have had the vehicle for about 3 months, and are very satisfied.
Gas milage is consistenly about 19 miles per gallon.
We compared most of the 5 and 7 passenger SUVs and Crossovers.
The Mazda was great on price and features.
We liked the Nissans, but they did not have the seating or the storage areas.
My biggest concern is the Ford motor and transmission, but it will be a couple of years before I can know if this was a problem.
There are not many Mazda dealers near us, so we will be using Ford for most service and repairs.

The multi-zone air conditioner is great, truly allowing for multiple temps within the vehicle. The sound system is good. The vehicle is comfortable in all seats, with adequate room for American sized adults. The amount of storage, with the seats down or up, is the best in the class.

The GPS (at $1800, with other required options) is a total waste of money. The GPS has limited functionality while moving. The GPS does allow audio commands while moving, but this is often more distracting than typing in commands. The GPS will not allow you to use a road below a certain size. In the rural area that I live, this means about half the roads are not allowed, including the road I live upon. Also, you must give up the 6 CD player for a single CD player, when you get the GPS. The routes chosen by the GPS are often nonsense. Basically think of every comedy you have watched fearturing a GPS, and this was the GPS in the movie.