Used 2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Unexpectedly Great!
By Linda Carter

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have been a "Toyota Family" since we learned the value of looking up consumer ratings. I must say we have been surprised over and over again with this Mazda. It's performance in handling the road is great. The gas mileage, seating capacity, and separate controls makes it special. Glad we switched over.

Maybe I'm having a hard time adjusting....
By KWSuperstar

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I am the daughter of an ASE certified mechanic and wife to a tow truck driver. I like to think I know a little more than the average female car shopper. I did a TON of research before deciding to purchase my 2011 Mazda CX-9. I had specific criteria - so much so that one salesman told me I was "looking for a unicorn". Whatever, I got what I wanted. However, after driving this vehicle for about a month now, I have discovered a few things I do not like about it.... 1. I do not like feeling the shifting between gears. This car has the option to manually shift (Stupid), so the transmission is not a straight 6 (gears in a line). 2. Research put gas mileage at 20-22 mpg. I am averaging (according to the car's computer) 17.7 mpg, with an average speed of 27 mph. I do not drive like a maniac or gun it at a green light. I'm an average driver. Maybe my previous SUV ('03 GMC Envoy) had a bigger tank.....I don't know, but I feel like this car is SUCKING the gas. 3. This is smaller than my Envoy, so I'm still adjusting to the smaller cargo space. When using the 3rd row, I cannot load large items or a bunch of shopping bags. I often carry 6 passengers when the girls go shopping - but there's no room for bags except on the floor where they are sitting. 4. This is the first car I've ever had with leather; and it's black leather. Though the interior looks sleek and nice, I live in the south, and leather seats are HOT!! I almost scalded myself!! Plus, they retain the heat too, so as soon as I sit down, my backside is sweating profusely. 5. Maybe it's just MY car, or maybe it's because it's 10,000 degrees outside with 500% humidity, but the A/C takes its time getting cool. I haven't had it looked at yet. POSITIVES: It can get up and go if you need it to. It has a 3rd row seat that I really wanted. I got a great deal. It has a sleek sporty look inside & out. And, I like the updates that I didn't have in my '03 Envoy, like an AUX port and in-console 12v port (no longer referred to as a "cigarette lighter", I guess). The seats fold & move easily one-handed. With the 3rd row folded, the cargo space is adequate for this size car. It was this or a KIA Sorrento..... I'm considering trading it in, but I'll give it a few more months.

Nice, but....
By tracknut

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Had since new, 28k miles now. I tested everything at the time, traded an 08 Pathfinder. First impression was good; comfy, good power, nice interior. I almost passed for two reasons that now have me shopping again; FWD, and steering position. I prefer RWD or AWD but wanted best fuel econ. Although torque steer is not an issue, it IS a heavy steering feel and quick acceleration out of a tight/emergency spot just spins the wheels.#2, I just can't get comfortable with steering position. The wheel is slanted too far forward, making the reach at 10/2 a stretch (I'm 5'8"). Not enough adj to make it right for me. No lighted window/door lock swtchs, boomy sound and no flat cargo area are other gripes

Sporty, (almost) car like feel, Bluetooth, nice interior, cargo room, ok mileage, reliability. It IS a nice ride, don'tt get me wrong... Just that the things I DON'T like are enough to make me look around.

More adjustable steering controls, lighted door switches, fold flat rear seats (with no spaces in the floor, makes loading/sliding gear a nightmare), tiptronic that goes the way the rest of the industry does (up is UPSHIFT), memory to include mirrors. GT could be a bit 'meaner' looking. Nav system is lacking, Sound system is REALLY bass heavy with minimum sound adj. controls, and sharing Bluetooth with others that drive the car can be time consuming to switch (if both phones are findable). It's a nice CrsOver, but thinking to take a look at the new Durango... RWD, Flat cargo, a bit more aggressive looking and can tow. Better Mileage! 17.8 is best I've gotten with the CX-9.

Transfer case go BOOM!!!
By sleepyspeed3

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

My wife took her our cx9 on a road trip with our 2 girls. On the way home she heard a clunk trying to back up. Then at low speeds she heard a grinding noise, pulled over and had it towed to a dealership. They said it had mice nesting near the bell housing. Today I was suppose to go get it back and the mechanic called and said he tried to back it up and CLUNK. Cracked transfer case. It will be another 2 - 3 weeks before its fixed. It looks like many other owners have had this problem. Ours only had 17k miles on it. Mazda should recall their cx9.

v6 273 hp, Bose audio, backup camera.

Transfer case needs to be recalled!!!

Very Good Vehicle!
By freedvr1

2011 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my CX-9 for 2 years and 36,000 trouble free miles. I have two small children and my wife and the kids have made several 1,000 mile road trips. Very comfortable and stable on the road. I also have a 550i BMW, and this car definitley is as much fun to drive. Relatively speaking. Best value out there!

Third row seat.