Used 2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Love My CX-9
By pure_hp

2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We test drove on the same day the following vehicles: Ford Explorer, Toyota Highlander, Hyundai Veracruz, and the CX-9. For the price, content and fun to drive factor, we couldn't go wrong with the CX-9. It's quick, agile, spacious and well built. Aside from poor fuel economy (still waiting to see if 17city/24hwy for FWD is really true), we have no complaints.

Bluetooth, keyless entry/ignition.

Daytime running lights as an option and gas mileage. Auto dimming rearview mirror should be standard across the board.

Very pleased with the CX-9
By wbedggr

2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our 2011 CX-9 about a month ago and are very pleased with the car. We traded out of a 2006 Honda Odyssey, after looking at the new Odyssey and not wanting more of the same (although it was a great vehicle). But we weren't ready to give up the thirdrow seat just quite yet, either. We wanted something a little more interesting to drive, as well. So, as advertised, the CX-9 is a treat to drive for a large crossover and the interior has a solid and upscale feel. Lots of room in the second row seat for the kids.

- Fun to drive - Interior is solid and upscale - keyless ignition - liftgate and back-up camera

- Not as many family friendly compartment as some other competitors. - Front passenger seat needs another inch or two in the knee, glove box area, and floor. - Improve MPG -- it's about the same as other crossovers in its class but still a shock coming from a minivan. It seems to be getting better as it gets broken in and we get better at driving it. On a week trip (a lot of highway driving), over 2,500 miles in August, we averaged about 22.5 mpg. It was great on the rode.

Finally Settled on the CX-9 Touring After Months of Test Drives
By anotherfan1

2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I switched from a 2008 Camry, a car I only liked for the gas mileage, to the CX-9 Touring. We looked at the GMC Acadia, the Pilot, the Highlander, Volvo XC-90, the Flex and the Explorer. XC-90 - Uncomfortable, cost too much Flex - Comfortable but strange looking Acadia - Didn't seem to have the quality I was looking for Highlander - Built on a Camry chassis and this was what I was trying to get away from Pilot - Seemed clunky and I did not like the dealer. The CX-9 is comfortable, spacious and it drives great. It has a very easy to manage center console, radio, etc. What I don't like is the mileage and how it's tough to be more a la carte while building your car online.

Power liftgate is very nice. Visibility is great.

Gas mileage and more freedom to build the car you want online and at the dealer.

Very Nice Vehicle
By grf1

2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I've had my 2011 CX-9 for about a month, have taken two long road trips in it, and use it to commute in Atlanta traffic about 40 miles round trip. I traded in my 2001 Toyota Highlander for the Mazda, and so far, I'm very happy with the CX-9. The driving experience is great for this size vehicle. The third-row seating is very accessible, and is roomy enough for my 9-year old (my 15 year-old complains it's too tight, but then again, he complains about everything!). I am disappointed in the gas mileage, even when travelling on the interstate at reasonable speeds. I suppose that is the price one pays for this kind of performance. I really like the Bose sound system.

Performance, seating comfort, sound system.

Gas mileage is very disappointing, even on the highway.

Best 3-row CUV on the market
By emoney15

2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After researching the GM cousins, the new Ford Explorer, the new Toyota 4-Runner, and Honda Pilot, we gladly purchased the CX-9. Nothing compares to the Mazda's driving dynamics or what you get for the money. I highly recommend this crossover as the mid-level Touring package comes standard with power everything, leather, and a fold-flat third row. Fuel econ is decent considering the size and power. We upgraded from a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. There is really no comparison to be made. The CX-9 is smooth and does not feel enormous, but is more than roomy enough. The dealership did a very good deal for us as well. Thumbs up, Mazda.

Looks, handling, smooth engine, interior fit and finish, highway mpg, included third row, standard leather on Touring and above, ease of converting from three rows to two. The interior looks more like a luxury car than the Pilot, 4-Runner, and all the GM cousins.

Center console display has too much information for such a small screen (info center shares the same spot as the clock, so you can only see info like remaining miles on tank of gas or time one at a time). I also believe Sat Radio should come standard on Touring. Basic sound system is pretty weak. USB for iPod would be better than a standard auxiliary input. These are all minor issues considering the value for the money with this auto, however.