2011 Mazda CX-9 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:
Nice, but....
By tracknut on 10/07/13 23:01 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Had since new, 28k miles now. I tested everything at the time, traded an 08 Pathfinder. First impression was good; comfy, good power, nice interior. I almost passed for two reasons that now have me shopping again; FWD, and steering position. I prefer RWD or AWD but wanted best fuel econ. Although torque steer is not an issue, it IS a heavy steering feel and quick acceleration out of a tight/emergency spot just spins the wheels.#2, I just can't get comfortable with steering position. The wheel is slanted too far forward, making the reach at 10/2 a stretch (I'm 5'8"). Not enough adj to make it right for me. No lighted window/door lock swtchs, boomy sound and no flat cargo area are other gripes

Transfer case go BOOM!!!
By sleepyspeed3 on 03/13/13 16:11 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

My wife took her our cx9 on a road trip with our 2 girls. On the way home she heard a clunk trying to back up. Then at low speeds she heard a grinding noise, pulled over and had it towed to a dealership. They said it had mice nesting near the bell housing. Today I was suppose to go get it back and the mechanic called and said he tried to back it up and CLUNK. Cracked transfer case. It will be another 2 - 3 weeks before its fixed. It looks like many other owners have had this problem. Ours only had 17k miles on it. Mazda should recall their cx9.

Very Good Vehicle!
By freedvr1 on 07/02/12 15:06 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my CX-9 for 2 years and 36,000 trouble free miles. I have two small children and my wife and the kids have made several 1,000 mile road trips. Very comfortable and stable on the road. I also have a 550i BMW, and this car definitley is as much fun to drive. Relatively speaking. Best value out there!

Best value in a 7 seater!
By wartoni on 01/14/12 06:44 AM (PST)

2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I did a HUGE amount of driving and trying of many cars (Acura MDX, Audi Q7, Merc GL450, Hyundai veracruz) and found this to me the best mix of style and value. Not wanting to drive a outwardly expensive car and still wanting sport we picked this. I love it more now than when I test drove it. Great car for a good price.

CX-9 a Mixed Bag
By jetascs on 12/31/11 17:51 PM (PST)

2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our CX-9 GT AWD now for six months and the best description I can give is a “mixed bag”. There is a lot of extras for the $ but.. After 6 months I’m wishing we would have spent a little more and made another choice. Issues include; poor mileage – I have a ’06 V-8 Yukon XL 4X4 that gets better mileage both in town and HWY. Poor Navigation. There is a lot of noise inside – wind noise, road noise, gas sloshing around in the fuel tank and after six months many new squeaks and rattles surfacing. The Bose sound is nice but too much noise to really enjoy it. Interior quality looks great but not quite refined yet. Interior leather looks great and appears to be holding up well.

Best 7 Passenger SUV I could find
By tonar18 on 12/05/11 20:08 PM (PST)

2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After an exhaustive search we finally decided on the CX-9 GT AWD. We looked at EVERYTHING. From Kia to Audi and everything in-between. High on the list was the BMW X5 and the Audi Q7 TDI. The Q7 was the best SUV we tested, and if money wasn't an issue that's what we would have bought. However, after driving the Mazda and seeing all the standard equipment you get for under 40K I couldn't believe it. I thought we would have to give something up in either luxury items, interior material, or ride quality, but we didn't. I really feel like we got it all in this vehicle and saved 30K over the Audi. Hats off to Mazda for making such an affordable, enjoyable vehicle to drive.

Complaints
By krayj on 11/15/11 20:55 PM (PST)

2011 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

A few items are rather [violative content deleted]: 1. The power rear lift gate does not operate by squeezing handle. It is only power open by using the remote or the switch inside the car. 2. The memory seats do not include side mirrors. 3. You can not enter a single contact in the bluetooth phone book. 4. There are no audible sensors with the backup camera. 5. Freeway speed limits are not shown on GPS Seems to me a so called "Grand Touring" car should include these items.

Better 2nd Time Around
By tabjaxx on 11/15/11 12:53 PM (PST)

2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Went from leased 2009 CX-9 Touring to 2011 CX-9 Touring and am pleased with the improvements Mazda has made. Biggest difference is the suspension; still sporty, but smoother over the bumps. More than enough power under the hood, but overall fuel economy of 19 mpg not the best. Speed-sensing door locks and rear camera are nice additions. Multi-Information Display is nice to look at, but not very functional; touch screen capabilities would be nice. All the orange lights on the dash display aren't very attractive. Upgraded Bose stereo definately better than the average, especially in the bass range. Could use more leg room on the driver's side. Best bang for the buck for SUV's in class.

Love My CX-9
By pure_hp on 09/26/11 19:07 PM (PDT)

2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We test drove on the same day the following vehicles: Ford Explorer, Toyota Highlander, Hyundai Veracruz, and the CX-9. For the price, content and fun to drive factor, we couldn't go wrong with the CX-9. It's quick, agile, spacious and well built. Aside from poor fuel economy (still waiting to see if 17city/24hwy for FWD is really true), we have no complaints.

Very pleased with the CX-9
By wbedggr on 08/27/11 05:45 AM (PDT)

2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our 2011 CX-9 about a month ago and are very pleased with the car. We traded out of a 2006 Honda Odyssey, after looking at the new Odyssey and not wanting more of the same (although it was a great vehicle). But we weren't ready to give up the thirdrow seat just quite yet, either. We wanted something a little more interesting to drive, as well. So, as advertised, the CX-9 is a treat to drive for a large crossover and the interior has a solid and upscale feel. Lots of room in the second row seat for the kids.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Mazda CX-9 in VA is:

$133 per month*