11,000 Mile Review
By berad on
2010 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)
All in all this is a solid family hauler. I chose the Touring for the smaller rim size. Handling is very good for its class, but you will feel the bumps. We moved halfway across the country, so I had my wife two kids & two dogs in the car for 1800 miles / 28 hours of driving- the CX9 proved itself to a great car for the trip. I averaged about 24 MPG on that trip. In what I consider true suburban driving I would get about 18MPG. Now I live in a little town on the Jersey shore now and average about 14MGP in city style driving. Power is more than adequate for all but the true enthusiast and or speed demon.
Favorite Features
No mechanical failures - I used to drive BMW's and Volvos - so the maintenance seems ridiculously cheap. The seats are comfortable, the interior is very functional. I am 6'2" and there is plenty of room and the kids don't kick my seat. The standard stereo is pretty good, but I would have opted for the Bose package for better bluetooth features & the backup camera (things poorly advertised). If you have kids - get the rubber mats Value Value Value - I looked at the Enclave, Traverse, Pilot -- Whatever shortcomings the CX9 has it make up for it in performance and price over the rest. For what its worth I would have bought the Enclave if ride comfort was my #1 priority.
Suggested Improvements
The standard Bridgestone tires are not cheap but terrible in the snow and about average otherwise. I replaced them with a set of Michelins Latitude Tour at 7K because Yoko Prada Spec X were not in stock. We got hammered with a blizzard after Christmas and I cruised through the snow and even went through stuff where Buick Enclaves with the same Michelins got stuck. For whatever reason this car is barely a year old and has ten years of dings (thin sheet metal?) Wide doors act like sails in windy conditions and fling out of your hands when opening. Standard bluetooth is nice but should auto sync address book. Turbo Diesel Engine Option/better MPG Window lock w/ driver overide