Used 2010 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Mazda CX-9 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

AWESOME RIDE!!!
By cathman

2010 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Amazing vehicle!! Bought used w/40,000 miles. Incredible used car deal! Absolutely loaded... Handles like its on rails(for a big car). Avg. 25.6 mpg on a 3 state road trip! Tons of power, and super comfortable!!I'm a major Mazda fan... 03 MPV has 185,000 on it and still gets 26.5 mpg! Mazda zoom zoom thru & thru!! If u need a big family vehicle without needing a minivan...Go buy this car!

Favorite Features

Style,power,room,utility,comfort. This thing has it all!!

Suggested Improvements

A bit more cubby holes... Not an issue tho. Just used to them in my van...

Things to consider before purchasing
By ddb1

2010 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After owning for 16 months, the Cons, especially #1, outweigh the Pros. Cons - Passenger side air bag turns off when anyone <105ish lbs sits there. Taken it to the dealer & they say there's nothing they can do about it. This leaves my light passengers completely unprotected. Should be a recall. - Front defrost is terribly designed - doesn't span the length of the windshield & sits too far away from the base of the window. Wipers freeze over and have to be manually snapped in a snow storm. - Sub par radio reception - Hatchback too low. 6'1" husband hits head A LOT - Highway MPG = 19 at best - Terrible leather quality Pro - Excellent 4 wheel drive - Price - Super roomy

Familyt Road-Trip Rock Star!
By tdough

2010 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have 17,000 miles on our 2010 CX9, 5000 of those have come in a 5000+ mile cross-country and back trip in the past five weeks. I have really liked this car since I bought it 15 months ago, now I love it! It really excels on the highway - very fun to drive, great handling, and very comfortable. I really shopped around before buying it, especially giving the Honda Pilot serious consideration, but I am SO glad I went with the Mazda.

Favorite Features

Nice-looking car, gets lots of favorable comments from friends. Very nice handling, especially for a car that can seat seven. Great power, even when loaded up with gear, including a roof-top carrier, bike rack, a ton of luggage, and five people. I like that there is an AC control for those seated in the rear. Stock stereo is suprisingly good.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is not very good. Too bad, but I guess you can't have everything.

Crash worthy
By veloguru

2010 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I had my 2010 CX-9 for a year and was involved in a very hard front end collision which rolled the other vehicle over. My two young kids and I were totally unscratched, and even though the front end was destroyed, all the doors were still aligned and working perfectly! Impressive. I'm off to my dealer to order a brand new CX-9. ( white, not black this time, too lazy to keep the black clean!)

11,000 Mile Review
By berad

2010 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

All in all this is a solid family hauler. I chose the Touring for the smaller rim size. Handling is very good for its class, but you will feel the bumps. We moved halfway across the country, so I had my wife two kids & two dogs in the car for 1800 miles / 28 hours of driving- the CX9 proved itself to a great car for the trip. I averaged about 24 MPG on that trip. In what I consider true suburban driving I would get about 18MPG. Now I live in a little town on the Jersey shore now and average about 14MGP in city style driving. Power is more than adequate for all but the true enthusiast and or speed demon.

Favorite Features

No mechanical failures - I used to drive BMW's and Volvos - so the maintenance seems ridiculously cheap. The seats are comfortable, the interior is very functional. I am 6'2" and there is plenty of room and the kids don't kick my seat. The standard stereo is pretty good, but I would have opted for the Bose package for better bluetooth features & the backup camera (things poorly advertised). If you have kids - get the rubber mats Value Value Value - I looked at the Enclave, Traverse, Pilot -- Whatever shortcomings the CX9 has it make up for it in performance and price over the rest. For what its worth I would have bought the Enclave if ride comfort was my #1 priority.

Suggested Improvements

The standard Bridgestone tires are not cheap but terrible in the snow and about average otherwise. I replaced them with a set of Michelins Latitude Tour at 7K because Yoko Prada Spec X were not in stock. We got hammered with a blizzard after Christmas and I cruised through the snow and even went through stuff where Buick Enclaves with the same Michelins got stuck. For whatever reason this car is barely a year old and has ten years of dings (thin sheet metal?) Wide doors act like sails in windy conditions and fling out of your hands when opening. Standard bluetooth is nice but should auto sync address book. Turbo Diesel Engine Option/better MPG Window lock w/ driver overide