2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:
Excellent minivan replacement
By eml on 09/20/09 16:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

As a replacement for our minivan (Nissan Quest), the CX-9 is nearly as versatile, just as comfortable and much more fun to drive. The acceleration is excellent, the ride is smooth and the handling makes it feel much smaller than it actually is. We've been on some 5 hour road trips with no complaints from our 2 teens in back. We've also filled the 3rd row with teen-aged friends with no complaints on in-town trips. The front seating area could use some more storage space and the mpg is merely adequate but overall this is an excellent choice for those who need a versatile carrier.

Literally a bang for your buck!
By Charles Family on 09/19/09 11:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Picked up the Touring AWD on 9/15/09. All I can say is that Mazda has the gem of 2009 here. Forget Toyota and Ford, test drive the CX-9 and you will be in for a shock. There are items that come standard in this puppy that you would have to get as options on anything else. With the dealer incentives (4k) you are driving away with a vehicle that would cost 40 large anywhere else! Factor in the end of Model year and dealerships trying to get rid of inventory.. there is just a ton of value here! Our 3 kids love this vehicle for the space and the wife adores it because it literally drives like a car. Before you buy anything else.. Test drive the Mazda CX-9

I now understand 'zoom-zoom'
By Dave in N.Texas on 09/19/09 11:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Its hard to believe this is an SUV. It handles superbly and feels solid as a rock. I'm comfortable knowing my wife and kids use this full time. Much better than the competition for handling/ride at this price level. Surprisingly smooth and comfortable but could still use some improvements comfort wise. A superb value though all things considered. Hopefully reliability will be better than predicted and compare better with Toyota and others.

Great Car for Families
By Oklahoma Owner on 09/15/09 18:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Drove home in intense storm, but CX-9 took it all in stride while other cars pulled to the side. Seats are outstanding for long hauls. Able to have normal conversations at freeway speeds. Car never feels tippy despite having 8 inches of ground clearance. At 200 inches, it is a long vehicle, but doesn't feel that way. Bose stereo is weak on highs, but midrange sounds good when connected to an ipod. Feels german in driving experience.

Best in this Class
By BV on 09/10/09 19:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I was looking to replace a 2004 MDX. The newer MDX while very impressive is mid 50s with all options....Ouch! The dash of the new MDX has way too much going on. The CX9 was a surprise for sure. For what you get this is by far the best in the larger 3rd row SUVs. Many people actually see this rig and think it is a Lexus. You don't see as many of the cx9s on the road and I cannot figure out why. We have three small children and did not want to go mini-van.

Happy with purchase of CX9
By Kansas Girl on 09/03/09 08:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Love the cx9! We test drove several cars until we decided to purchase a cx9. We need the room of a minivan, but wanted something to please our teenage children. They also love it! It drives like a car, similar to mazda6. It is a large roomy suv, but feels smaller than it is. We love using it for our children sport events, easy to bring cooler and gear for needed for games. The sport version of the CX9 is a great value, you get many standard features for your money.

Great value for a cool CUV
By Sagar on 09/02/09 18:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

As the reviews said CX-9 is a cool design, great drive and excellent value for money. Drives like a car, is a very roomy people carrier with sporty looks. Am getting about 20 - 21 mpg during the first month!

Mazda CX-9 GT AWD 2009 is Incredible
By The Hawk on 09/01/09 08:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have owned a Lexus LX470 and Toyota Products for years and were quite impressed with quality and character of new Mazda's. Mazda has made the CX-9 both comfortable and fun to drive. The only flaw I see is the lack of AWD all the time and using a sport tire (ie will last at most 30k miles if lucky) vs a more all weather tire with a longer life.

Nice for the Price
By Acroduster on 08/25/09 05:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

When compared with its rivals and their sticker prices, the CX-9 is in tough company. However, when you look at what you'll actually pay for them, the CX-9 looks much better. It appears to be the value leader - very nicely appointed, sports-car zoom-zoom handling (which you won't find in the competitors), and feature laden. Even my skinny 7 year old can slide the center seats to access the rear (she couldn't do that in the Tahoe we had). Speaking of the Tahoe, when we compared them side-by-side, the CX-9 has more depth behind the rear seats, and has more depth when the rear seats are folded. I wouldn't have believed that if I hadn't seen it myself...

SAFETY SECOND TO NONE
By Larry on 08/19/09 14:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I was hit broadside (T-boned) on the passenger side at an intersection. Lady ran a red light and hit me. I must say I am thankful I bought the CX- 9. The side curtain airbag deployed instantly (no white powder, clean) the doors and structure took the impact and protected me, I was completely unhurt. While both front and rear doors were completely crushed the doors did not bend into the inside, the side windows did not break. As a matter of fact the doors STILL opened and closed. Mazda has built an extremely safe and exceptional vehicle. The CX-9 was repaired (two new doors)and is back on the road as good as new. Feel free to read my previous review dated 1/13/09. Thanks Mazda, life saver!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda CX-9 Suv in VA is:

$129 per month*