2009 Mazda CX-9 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:
Drives like a sports car..ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM
By Harry on 11/09/09 17:58 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned this SUV for a little over 3 months and 2800 miles and am extremely satisfied. Acceleration is more than adequate, interior space is aplenty. Suspension is a little stiff but bearable. Handling is outstanding, you would never know this car is a large crossover. City fuel economy is poor averaging approx 13 mpg, but highway is excellent averaging almost 23 mpg at approx 70 mph (close to EPA 15/21 mpg estimates). Haven't snowed in NYC yet so can't comment on the AWD system. Plastics around the steering wheel and dash is rough and cheap making it hard to wipe (use lint free cloths). Center console storage is small. Bose system is disappointing. Seats 6 adults comfortably.

6th SUV
By COP31 on 10/29/09 12:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is our 6th SUV and we must say this is the best yet!!! The gas mileage is our only knock on this vehicle but it is par with all the others we have own, so we expected it! The design, comfort, and quality of a Mazda has met all of our expectations. my daughter is driving the Mazda 6. looks we are now apart of the Mazda Family and Mazda is apart of ours!

Mazda CX-9 is smooooooth
By Maria on 10/26/09 18:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I compared the CX-9 to the Murano, Venza, CRX, and Edge. CX-9 was the smoothest, quietest ride. Great handling, and lots of storage. Third row seating in a pinch, which none of the others had.

As fuel efficient as a dinosaur
By Roz on 10/25/09 11:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We are a family of five with three young children and grandparents who like to come along for the ride. We needed an SUV with a true third row, and this was the best option (the Acadia and Enclave were not being leased at the time). Although I find the interior fairly comfortable, it does not compare to the Lexus RX 350 we had before this car. Also, the fuel economy is horrible -- I average 14 MPG with combined city & highway driving. My husband has a Toyota Highlander and gets much better fuel economy. Needless to say, this will be our last CX-9.

First Mazda owned
By Chamberis on 10/23/09 21:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Totaled our 06 Sonata, been looking at CX9 since it came out in 07. Purchased for wife and kids. Plenty of room, very comfortable. Exterior looks great. So far we have 2k on it and it rides and drives as good as our Sonata did. Handles like a sedan, but you can pack the kitchen sink in it. Great hiway cruiser if you stay away from the 20" wheels, plus the 18" on the touring won't cost $200+ to replace and they look just as good. Overall very impressed. Snagged one of the last 09's in the state, discounts and rebates marked it down almost 6k off the stickers. 2009 looks just like the 2010! Don't see many on the road which is nice, people always asking what we are driving.

More fun than Pilot, just as safe
By Tripl3threat on 10/23/09 09:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an 09 Honda Pilot EX-L and an 09 CX-9 GT this month, and while I think they are the 2 best SUV/X-Overs on the market (under $40K), I do like the CX-9 over the Pilot. The Pilot drives like a truck - not that different from my Ford Explorer. The CX-9 drives like a performance tuned car. Easy to get in and out for all seating positions, tight handling, good acceleration and smooth and quiet braking. The Pilot looks like it should be driving through the Texas ranch-lands, while the CX-9 is right at home next to the Cayenne's and Q7s in the Costco parking lot. All up, the CX-9 is about $5k less than the Pilot. Most of all, the CX-9 feels safest for kid hauling, and is a lot of FTD.

2009 Mazda CX-9
By Dave on 10/18/09 18:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After 5500 miles the CX-9 is proving to be an excellent family vehicle. Even the third row seats are suitable for short trips. For a 7 passenger SUV the acceleration and handling are outstanding. The interior design is up to that Acura and Audi standard. I test drove the Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander. All of them are nice but the combination of price, design, size and performance made the Mazda a clear choice for my family of 5. Bottom line, I enjoy driving it and my wife appreciates the design and space for shuttling children.

Best SUV for the Price
By KeithE on 10/17/09 06:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Best 3-row SUV out there. Drove Mercedes, Lexus, Cadillac, Audi and Volvo, none compared on interior quality and exterior style to the CX- 9. Top that off with a price which was minimally $10K less than anything else, and you have a real winner. GT package does shift the ride quality to the firm side, but the handling achieved more than compensates. Car has every bell and whistle found on the "high priced badges" with better styling interior and exterior than any of them. Dealership experience has been excellent.

great drive and ride, but cheap interior
By Marriedwithkids on 10/04/09 19:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We traded a xc90 awd as we needed more room in the back seats. Would have never thought about the Mazda cx9 beyond reading the reviews. Once my wife and I drove it we loved it. Cool looking mommy wagon without the geekness of a minivan or suv. Very fast, handles well and looks way cool.

Great Crossover SUV!
By Mike Ferguson on 10/01/09 17:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Let me start by saying we never expected to like this vehicle so much. It was more of a "let's take a look so we can eliminate one more option". But when you get behind the wheel and give this SUV a good look trust me if you buy another SUV I will be shocked. It is as close to perfect as you will find. It is simply THE best kept secret in the mid-size SUV/Crossover market. Great size not to big not too small. Usable third row with as much legroom as many full size SUV. Great build quality. Smart engineering and logical design/layout. Drives as much like a sports car as possible in an SUV. All the safety features. Unbelievable upscale features on the Grand Touring for the money.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda CX-9 in VA is:

$129 per month*