Used 2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Shame on Mazda
By Ruthann

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I drove my car for a long time and was quite pleased. It had it's minor issues but nothing major. The one thing I kept having problems with was the brakes. I took it into the mechanic 4 different times and they couldn't stop the squeaking. The Mazda dealership later told us that's just Mazda brakes and they all do that! That is not normal! It was only when I backed up, but then started when I stopped at a stop sign. I spent a lot of money trying to fix this problem, and I have yet to fix it. The final problem was the transfer case. The mechanic said it is designed very poorly because there is no way to do maintenance to it. You just have to replace it once it wears out, and if you don't replace it in time then it is linked to the transmission and then you need a new transmission. That is what happened to us. You know there is a problem when the mechanic can't even get the part because they don't have enough parts because there are so many cars having this issue. The final cost was $5,200, and the car is only worth $9,000. It hasn't even hit 100,000. I thought we bought a quality vehicle, and I really loved certain things about the CX 9, but I will never recommend this car to anyone.

Fun to Drive, Very Poor Quality
By zang3

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2009 CX9 Sport. It is fun to drive. But Mazda has a very poor quality. after about 30k miles, brake has some issue and costed me about $1000. after another 30k miles, all four tire sensors broke and tires kept leaking. That costs another $1000. The bottom line, if you don't want to get annoyed. Stay away from Mazda.

Practical yet cool SUV
By tiruvan

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of SUV's. But I got one since every other car on the road is a truck of some sort and in the event of a crash I want my family to be safe. The CX-9 was the only SUV that received 5 stars for front and side crash and 4 star for rollover in ratings. Reliability has been superb so far with regular maintenance.

We drove the Pilot, Highlander, MDX as well and hands down the MDX was the best of the 4 but at $10K more than the CX-9 it was expensive. The gas mileage was lower as well. Pilot was too boxy and the highlander costed as much as the MDX (which is lame).

After a couple years and 20K miles it's still as solid as the first day! Recommended!

Driving experience is superb! It simply doesn't feel like a truck. The 273 hp engine is plenty enough for a smooth take off and the disk brakes do the stopping job well. The exterior styling is in the same league as X5 or Q7. It's stance from the side is as stylish as it can be done for a SUV. Premium cloth is very durable and will hold off minor spills (if cleaned quickly). Dashboard is straightforward yet classy. The red lighted dash is well designed for ease of use and readings. Third row seats can be adjusted very easily, they fold flat and are split 50-50 as well. Per the SUV's reading we have averaged 18.5 mpg at an avg. speed of 29mph (mostly city driving). Fantastic mileage!

Power seats should be standard for your flagship car. Heated seats and mirrors can be optional though. The seats could have a bit more cushion in them. Black colored floor mats are almost always a bad idea. Customers should at least have a second choice. Cargo area mats could be made of a better material or at least make the rubber liner standard. Few more cup holders wouldn't hurt. Third row should have it's own a/c vents.

Water coming into car after heavy rain
By rant1

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Not happy with the car or the service.
Water comes through the windsheild and Mazda will not cover it because the car was in a minor accident damaging the front fog light.
They are unrelated but Mazda claims that they are related.
Now I have electrical problems similar to ones I see posted elsewhere and they will not cover that either.
A lemon from the beginning with poor service.

Seal the windshields properly and stop blaming the consumer.

Stands Out in the crowd
By Mr. T

2009 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have '09 Copper Red GT AWD. Looks way more luxurious than its price. Interior space and comfort is excellent even for the 3rd row. We fit 8 easily. Interior is comparable to Lexus. probably Only crossover SUV having leather-trimmed dashboard with Wood trims (not just plastics). Many High-end features are standard (tri-zone climate control, bluetooth,18" alloys, sunroof/Bose option) for even basic trim levels but High-end Trims missing some basic features like Anti-glare side mirrors, compass, rear-view camera on mirror(i.e w/o Navigation). This is my only complaint. Overall, Great Pickup Great Style.

Drives like SUV Blind Spot Monitoring. Seriously, you need one for this car. Red/Blue Speedo with interior blue mood lights and Xenon Headlights is why I bot GT. Center console. Bose Sound System 3rd row access. Dual-tone seats gives a sporty look

Switching 2WD/4WD;Anti-glare side mirrors;3rd row AC vents; Option to have both Rear DVD system and Sunroof; Push button start than doing turn-key action without a key;Needs more Interior storage. No Cup holders in 2nd row if 3- people seated; Rear-view camera standard in GT; Panoramic SR; Side stepboards;