2008 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Review: Beware of sunroofs and drainag

2008 Mazda CX-9 - Consumer Review

2008 Mazda CX-9

Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L V6 6-speed Automatic)

Beware of sunroofs and drainage flaws all years and models.
By disapointed10 on

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

When we bought this car it was crossover of the year. I have always enjoyed the car until the on board computer went bad. We spent $750.00 to have a new on put in and one week to the day it went out again.

My husband thought something was shorting it out and sure enough we were told by Mazda service that Mazda's with sunroof tended to have fir tree needles plug up the drain tubes and the water build up would short out the computer.

I contacted Mazda corporate wanting to know why NO mention of this was available to potential or new car owners. I was told it was not a design flaw and the service folks should know about it. But no one ever told us so we are out approximately $1,100.00

It is a nice car to drive.

I feel Mazda should educate the consumer of any potential problems to the car which can be solved in about a 15 minute visit to the Mazda service. No one told us about this and Mazda is taking no responsibility for this problem. We will never buy a Mazda again and will tell everyone we meet and know to not buy a Mazda. Mazda in dumping this situation on us and taking no responsibility to assist us or accept the fact that they did not warn us this could happen. Mazda has a very bad business ethic. I live in Seattle where we have rain and fir tree needles and not everyone has a garage to keep their car in.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By gvsubeef
on 07/06/14 06:22 AM (PDT)

Apparently you've never owned a car with a sunroof before. Sunroof drainage is something that should be frequently checked. I think the first computer issue is on you. However, your dealer should have known to check the sunroof drains after the first computer shorted out. I would blame your dealer for not trying to find the cause of the issue. I would imagine that they could have seen water staining on the original computer.

By rjberrios
on 11/01/15 18:39 PM (PST)

I have the same CX9 with sunroof and drainage problems as well with signs of water stains on the driver's side pillar making water to go down the electronics. I can tell that the drain plugs are clogged but did not realize that the damage on the computer be so drastic! Mazda should at least isolate the drain system to route any possible clogs to prevent electronics failure and make the vehicle more reliable. This is the 2nd time the computer is damaged! Now I have a solution to the problem... I do state that we own a very solid car with 3rd row seating and bunch of features to enjoy driving long distances. We live in Florida and family trips are common on long weekends. Wear on the tires are expected due to the low profile design but that is part of the looks. Rotating them often keeps good even wear. Cargo space is very small but a roof rack will solve the problem. What i do is pack smartly and i do have babies.