2008 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Review: Beware of sunroofs and drainag

2008 Mazda CX-9 - Consumer Review

Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L V6 6-speed Automatic)

Beware of sunroofs and drainage flaws all years and models.
By disapointed10 on

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

When we bought this car it was crossover of the year. I have always enjoyed the car until the on board computer went bad. We spent $750.00 to have a new on put in and one week to the day it went out again. My husband thought something was shorting it out and sure enough we were told by Mazda service that Mazda's with sunroof tended to have fir tree needles plug up the drain tubes and the water build up would short out the computer. I contacted Mazda corporate wanting to know why NO mention of this was available to potential or new car owners. I was told it was not a design flaw and the service folks should know about it. But no one ever told us so we are out approximately $1,100.00

Favorite Features

It is a nice car to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I feel Mazda should educate the consumer of any potential problems to the car which can be solved in about a 15 minute visit to the Mazda service. No one told us about this and Mazda is taking no responsibility for this problem. We will never buy a Mazda again and will tell everyone we meet and know to not buy a Mazda. Mazda in dumping this situation on us and taking no responsibility to assist us or accept the fact that they did not warn us this could happen. Mazda has a very bad business ethic. I live in Seattle where we have rain and fir tree needles and not everyone has a garage to keep their car in.
By gvsubeef
on 07/06/14 06:22 AM (PDT)

Apparently you've never owned a car with a sunroof before. Sunroof drainage is something that should be frequently checked. I think the first computer issue is on you. However, your dealer should have known to check the sunroof drains after the first computer shorted out. I would blame your dealer for not trying to find the cause of the issue. I would imagine that they could have seen water staining on the original computer.