Used 2008 Mazda CX-9 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda CX-9

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Mazda CX9 FWD Grand Touring
By SCaldriver

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased a 2008 CX9 Grand Touring FWD 13 months ago and now have 20,000 miles on it. This vehicle has met all of our expectations. We previously owned an Expedition and a Sequoia and like the CX9 much better. The interior in the CX9 is great. The second row seats slide forward for easy access to the third row with a split seat with enough room for an adult. The CX9 is fun to drive with plenty of zoom zoom. We live in an area with hills and the CX9 moves up them. It drives more like a sports car than an SUV. Exterior looks great especially with 20 inch wheels. Whenever someone rides in it they are impressed & comment on how nice the interior is & how well it drives.

Favorite Features

3.7 V6 engine with 273hp really moves. Blind-spot monitoring system in side mirrors are great. Split third row seat. Sliding second row seats. 20 inch alloy wheels. Blue cabin dash illumination lights. Dash instrumentation display panel.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the gas mileage was better, average 15 to 17 mpg with mostly 70% city 30% highway driving. I can live with this as the Cx9 really moves when I step on the petal.

Fast and Fun with issues
By bfad

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD (JD Powers SUV of the Year). It is truly fun to drive. The power/handling in the SUV will blow you away. You feel like your driving a sports car. The interior design is above average and the third row seating is actually usable by adults. This SUV has many wonderful selling points. But my CX-9 has had some durability/quality issues. At 12,000 miles I needed new wheel bearings installed on front right side. At 22,500 I needed four new tires installed ($875.00) and yes I rotated them every 6000 miles. It didnít help! This SUV eats up tires like you canít believe. Now at 24,000 miles I need new wheel bearings on the driver side and the rear climate control is acting

Favorite Features

Power and handling. Great in the snow with the right tires. Third row seating room.

Suggested Improvements

Improve overall durability and tire life expectancy. Fuel economy.

Great Car, Skip the built in Nav
By nbiz

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Wonderful car, we love how it drives. It doesn't look that big from outside, but feels huge and comfortable inside. However, I wish I could return the nav system. It gives us a proper route about 1 in 5 times, otherwise it suggests routes that are hundreds of miles off course. Luckily we usually know the basic directions, otherwise 1 hour drives would take 5. Also it grays out when going over 5mph, which all built-ins do and I thought I could deal with, but no. Please get this great car, just skip the nav.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

Fix the nav system, really its horrible. Our $100 hand-held from 3 years ago can route better. Fix the paint on the interior door handles, it is super cheap and gets scraped off by our wedding rings.

Mama's Zoom Zoom
By Brandi

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Its no mini-van but has all of the positives of one. Three rows of seating. Its no truck but tows like one. Its not an SUV but the AWD makes sure you go anywhere you want. Its not really a sports car but is fun to drive like one. Its just a fantastic vehicle that does it all. I didn't lose style, fun or multi-use. Better gas mileage than a truck/suv.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth technology. Automatic lights and windshield wipers. Power seat multiple settings.

Suggested Improvements

Grand touring tires are great on dry highway but offer little bite in snow, needs to come with middle of this road tread pattern.

If Lexus made a 3-row Cross-Over....
By ALM

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

...it would be this vehicle. Bought it used but it only had 74 miles on it!! Great Deal!! Traded in my 2000 Ford Explorer w/ a V-8. What a world of difference. This CUV is so much smoother, refined and quiet. Love the handling and power. Took a long distance trip (1000 miles round trip) and it was a perfect combination for passenger and cargo space. Three rows came in handy, plenty of room for the kids. Minor quibbles: CX-9s w/ navigation require separate i-pod module, no automatic locks when rolling, no rear back-up sensors (Explorer had em), no load leveling system, seat cushion slightly short for taller drivers. Other than that, having a tough time keeping it from my wife.

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, power and all around performance. Exterior styling is nice (shape similar to Porsche Cayenne). Comfortable and roomy. Rear seats move fore and aft. Third row roomy enough for me at 6'0".

Suggested Improvements

Auto locks, longer seat cushions, another aux input for i-pod, rear back up sensors, load leveling system.