Used 2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Cx-9 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Better than any Minivan!
By ejhc11

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I just got this about two weeks ago, still w/ only 560 fun miles on it. I compared to an Audi Q7 3.2 which was out of my budget. The Mazda was better in rear passenger room and ergonomics for 2nd and 3rd row passengers. Power was also better because the Mazda was lighter, mine was a FWD CX-9. A lot of technical features for the money. Nice sporty alternative for a 7 passenger vehicle than buying a minivan.

Favorite Features

Looks nice, not bulky like the GMC Acadia. Same gas mileage as my 03 Toyota Sienna but a lot more power and light years in handling, braking and fun to drive factor. Really a "Zoom Zoom"

Suggested Improvements

Cannot figure out if the power door locks will auto lock after putting vehicle in gear or driving off. A feature I have in both my 2003 cars. Right now I have to manually push the power door locks to lock or unlock in the vehicle. Also,auto headlamps come on early and can only be adjusted by dealer?

What gas mileage do you expect?
By Brian

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This car is so fun to drive. The interior is comfortable and versatile, the engine and transmission are silky smooth, the climate control, seat configuration, styling, and Bose stereo are awesome. I get 19-20 mpg in mixed driving and don't understand why this large 7-person vehicle continually gets knocked on gas mileage. Sure, if you take off from every stop like a jackrabbit, you'll get 15mpg, but c'mon. I hate cars, and I hated the minivan I replaced with the CX-9, but I love driving this one.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, powerful engine, handling, versatile and comfortable seating, climate control, low maintenance intervals.

Suggested Improvements

Rear visibility, quality of buttons and controls, strange Mazda feature packages, climate control must be on to affect interior temperature.

A vehicle you will not regret buying
By jenon

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is an awesome vehicle traded in my ML320 for it and never regretted. Best of all it uses regular gasoline. The handling is top notch. Test drove Acura MDX before I decided to buy the CX-9. The CX-9 handles just as well and costs way less loaded.

Favorite Features

Handling, seats and large rims.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of cheap shiny plastic.

Love my Mazda
By MASSBEAN

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first Mazda and we love it. Went to auto shows and read many reviews before deciding. Drove the Edge and several others but nothing beat the driving and handling. It is so fun to drive. I traded in a lg SUV and I love the difference - I feel like I'm in a sports car. The room is great, love the dashboard display and the Bose/sunroof. My only 2 complaints are that it could be better on gas and there is no trip odometer. I traded a 5.4 Expedition and I'm only getting 4-5 mpg better. Mazda could work on that, otherwise no complaints so far

Favorite Features

The handling is great, love the stereo and the MP3 capability. Just fun to drive. No station wagon feel here.

Suggested Improvements

Trip odometer and better mileage

A driver's SUV
By SwissDog

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have been driving a Mazda 3 5-door for the past 4 years. That vehicle drove great and had amazing feel in the wheel-just as good as my wife's 2002 325i. Getting behind the wheel of the CX9 was seamless... no difference in feel. There is definitely more mass but that's what you get for a big vehicle.

Favorite Features

Backup camera in mirror. Quiet cabin. Bose. Rear seat access & adjustability. Interior "mood" lighting. Comfy front seats. Simple controls.

Suggested Improvements

Direct injection V6 should help fuel economy.