Used 2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Im Lovin It!
By DashaMilasha

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Awesome car! Get excited every day i have to drive it! We got fully loaded with every possible option and even more! Looks great and it's so much fun to drive! Very roomy inside, comfortably seats at least 5 adults and 2 kids! When everyone in a back entertained by watching DVDs, I kept entertained by Zoom-Zoom! Love it more every day!

Favorite Features

Nav system, 6 CD changer, Bluetooth, keyless entry and remote start, automatic liftgate, GameBoy, Blind Spot monitoring, IPod I guess everything!

Suggested Improvements

Would like better mileage per gallon!

Great Ride for a Big Vehicle
By parunner

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this because we needed a family vehicle with more space. We went from a VW Passat and honestly there is not much difference going to this bigger vehicle. It drives wonderful.

Favorite Features

The way it drives, smooth and sporty. Handles like a sport car.

Suggested Improvements

Open the back seat up a little and have better access to the 3rd row. Feels a little cramped compared to the competition. And also open up the front bumper a bit to match the rest of the impressive styling.

Sporty Performance in a Roomy Package
By KBW

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

If your tired of the minivan life but can't figure out how to get that sporty ride you've been longing for without giving up the room of your van then take a look at the CX-9. For sure it compromises in some aspects like overall storage but much less than most in this category. Compared to my wife's previous Grand Voyager the level of comfort, styling and performance of the CX-9 more than make up for this. The ride is sure footed meaning its not going to float down the road but its not so tight as to be uncomfortable. Gas mileage seems to live up to what Mazda reports. My wife has averaged 19 mpg with mostly in town driving. Overall, it's a great sporty value for the buck.

Favorite Features

Sporty styling and handling are excellent for such a large vehicle; Overall interior room is better than most in its class; Basic stereo with MP3 hookup is more than adequate; and the two tone leather seating is very supportive and appears to be of nice quality.

Suggested Improvements

Storage is limited up front compared to that of most minivans. Handling is sportier than some might like. I recommend a lengthy test drive prior to purchasing if you prefer that floating down the road feel. I recommend getting the fog lights; front end looks lacking without them.

Incredible Value
By MCNC

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Traded in an '05 MDX, and after review & test drive of the new MDX and other "premium" CUVs, couldn't believe the value - I suppose maybe a few missing features? No compromise to the ride and handling, however, and great drivetrain with 6 spd manumatic. X5, ML, Audi, etc, have nothing on the CX-9 in terms of the way it drives. Also quiet and comfortable. Mileage is as advertised, not great, though on a recent trip got 18.5 mpg with car loaded down including rooftop luggage. Middle row seat is limousine-like. Only criticism is this is my 2nd Mazda (also a 2007 "3") with a vibrating LH mirror - Mazda can't fix them?? One unscheduled repair for a failed rear wheel bearing.

Favorite Features

6 spd manumatic which I use in manual mode most of the time. Handling. Styling inside and out. Seat comfort. 2nd row space, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

"Cooled" seats. 8-way on passenger seat. More center console storage space. Cheap looking steering wheel center trim came from parts bin, looks out of place in an otherwise premium vehicle. I wish Mazda mirrors didn't vibrate!

A total surprise!
By Aaron

2008 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have been looking for the perfect large SUV to replace our 04 Chevy Venture that was totaled about three weeks ago, and found it in the CX-9. At first look it is sexy but seemingly too small for my family of 6. But I took one for a test drive to my wife, and we fell in love. It was a base sport model and I was still impressed. The interior design is a 10+, handling is great. I pushed the engine out to about 5000 or 6000 rpm before shifting in manual mode and the tranny was still silky smooth. I had to check the readout to be sure that I even shifted gears. All of my kids fit surprisingly well with two boosters and one car seat.

Favorite Features

Space, interior, exterior design, the tranny, power and features.

Suggested Improvements

Twenty-two inch chrome wheels would have put this thing the class it deserves. Open up the front bumper a little more to complete the aggressive look. Four headrest monitors instead of the overhead style. A little more snap to the engine off the line, and fog lights standard.